• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tom Fenton

New Heater Fan Motor

Tom Fenton

Gents

White 205 heater fan had died, red 205 heater fan works kind of OK

Looking to buy a brand new one for my red road car, and put the working one in the white track car.

Anyone have any experience of the new ones from GSF, £62 + VAT? Worth the cash, or any other suppliers?

Thanks

Tom

Stevo309

Tom,

I'm not sure about the 205 fan but the heater fan in my A4 died recently and it was a simple job to change the brushes (£7) and it's now good as new.

It might be worth taking it apart if possible to investigate the reason for it failing, soldering in a new set of brushes is pretty straightforward if that's all it is.

Edited by Stevo309

Simes
Anyone have any experience of the new ones from GSF, £62 + VAT? Worth the cash, or any other suppliers?

Thanks

Tom

Bought one (Valeo) from GSF around 6 years ago.

Appears to work still and without squeeking.

welshpug

If they still supply a Valeo unit that's a good price, ECP List them at £92.83.

I fitted a fan unit from GSF to my AX years ago, was still ok after 3 years and was a Valeo unit IIRC, got written off by a Daihatsu after I'd sold the car to a friend in Pembrokeshire :lol:

Alan_M

Can't you rob one off another Pug in the scrappy? I thought 405 ones were same, and even 206 items look similar.

I have pulled one to pieces, not particularly hard to do but bit fiddly rebuilding. Brushes and bearings appear to be the downfall of these, brushes easily repaired, bearings not. Bearings are a strange affair and wear into the shaft consequently wearing the brushes unevenly. I did try fitting a pair of ball bearings and bigger brushes from a scrap DC motor at work, but it flew across the workshop when upto speed like a 1950's UFO eventually smashing off the wall!

Tom Fenton

I suppose I should add, I've had both of them in bits, but TBH now I'm pissed off with messing with them, I just want the one in my road car to work without shrieking from time to time, and the one in the track car is controlled by a switch, and just needs to work.

Hence I've just about had enough of second hand units and fecking about trying to repair them, enough to buy myself a brand spanker.

shalmaneser

Mine is squealing like a stuck pig at the moment, at least until it warms up. Would be interested to hear your thoughts!!!

Tom Fenton

Well I've just ordered one, so I'll update once it has arrived.

SebRad

Hi, I just bought one from "ParagonPug1" on eBay. Genuine Valeo one, IICR was £60 + £9 del. I've received it and looks the part but not tried it yet as my car is currently having it's rear mended.

Will report back once it's fitted.

Regards, Seb

SebRad

I've now fitted the new heater fan and have to say on the whole it's a success B)

Obviously the old one was completely shot as the new one blows twice as hard while making half the noise.

The real test will come once my car is repaired and back on the road but I think will be able to get it warm inside now.

It will take some getting used to being able to have the blower on and not have to turn the radio up!

Regards, Seb

shalmaneser
I've now fitted the new heater fan and have to say on the whole it's a success :)

Obviously the old one was completely shot as the new one blows twice as hard while making half the noise.

The real test will come once my car is repaired and back on the road but I think will be able to get it warm inside now.

It will take some getting used to being able to have the blower on and not have to turn the radio up!

Regards, Seb

How did you fit it? Did you have to take the dash out? Hayes book of lies says you need to but they said the same about the heater matrix and that was a bunch of arse.

Tom Fenton

Heater fan is three screws and takes 5 min max.

hcmini1989
Heater fan is three screws and takes 5 min max.

How do you access it though take the centre out where the dials are?.And when you say yours packed in did it go completely or was it intermittent .Reason i ask is mine has packed in and it comes back every now and again

alphacharlie
How do you access it though take the centre out where the dials are?.And when you say yours packed in did it go completely or was it intermittent .Reason i ask is mine has packed in and it comes back every now and again

Its done from the passenger footwell matey

Cheers

AC

hcmini1989
Its done from the passenger footwell matey

Cheers

AC

cheers for the help saved me taking the middle out thanks

smithy

That sounds more like resistor fault to me mine was doing similar.

Try giving resistor a clean there is a metal disk and contact on the rear of it that gets covered in dust.

Mine works fine now,resistor is up by motor held with 2 screws and got one plug on it.

Tom Fenton

Update, finally got round to fitting the new fan tonight, what an improvement, and a 5 min job start to finish.

Whilst doing it I started thinking, and in a way it is ridiculous the amount I have spent on fancy parts for the engine, gearbox, beam, whatever, and yet I've begrudged spending £70 for a new heater fan.

Money well spent, more blow and less noise, result.

PhilCTI
Update, finally got round to fitting the new fan tonight, what an improvement, and a 5 min job start to finish.

Whilst doing it I started thinking, and in a way it is ridiculous the amount I have spent on fancy parts for the engine, gearbox, beam, whatever, and yet I've begrudged spending £70 for a new heater fan.

Thanks for the info Tom, I really must get round to doing this myself, especially as I use my CTI nearly everyday and its been getting rather too misty and foggy inside the car to be safe of late, and all the time I've spent buggering about with old ones, I should have bought a new one ages ago,

Phil

shalmaneser

Same, did mine yesterday and it took five minutes, tops. literally three screws and You're done. spent most of the time trying to find the damn thing under the dash, before i realised it was in the passenger footwell.

Took the old one apart and it's completely knackered inside, no wonder it was making so much noise.

GLPoomobile
more blow and less noise

Sounds like my ideal woman :D

oli-pug

Quick update here... AEP now sell an OE motor for £58 inc delivery plus we get 10% discount I noticed! The code is in the group buy sticky topic ;)

harryskid

This bug must be catching , mines started the stuck pig noise now and some times it wont switch off!

MerlinGTI

Been meaning to change mine since Ive had the car!

It is just one of those things you dont want to spend money on though. This thread has spured me on, thanks for the links guys.