• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Under Seat Subs?

johnnyboy666

im tempted to put a small sub in my car but i dont want something taking up the valuable boot space.

does/has anybody used one of those under the seat type jobbies before?

and if so, is there much space to squeeze them under there?

are they worth the bother?

bear in mind i'm not intending to be able to rattle the balls of the pensioner in the car behind me, just like a bit of bass.

and lastly, i have an old fli trapp active sub, which may well find its way into a new enclosure small enuff to squeeze somewhere, would that be a bad idea and cause it to sound like aids?

answers on a postcard B)

pug_ham

The only space under the rear seats is when you lift the base up but even that is minimal & one of th undrsat bas units wouldn't fit or be worthwhile imo.

Graham.

johnnyboy666

i was thinking for under the front seat

andyjstone

I used to have one under the front seat of my Scoobie, worked very well - low frequencies aren't very directional, so it doesn't really matter where it goes as long as it can move some air.

Atari Boy

I have had factory fit ones in previous Audi's and BM's, I think they work well, subtle but effective.

Henry Yorke

They would probably work best hidden in the rear quarters, under the door cards

d7ve_b
They would probably work best hidden in the rear quarters, under the door cards

How much room is there behind the rear quarters?

Daxed

After discussing this option in this thread:-

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...mp;hl=subwoofer

I purchased the Blaupunkt THB200A:-

http://www.bluespot.co.uk/car-audio.aspx/thb200a-speaker

I just had time to do a quick trial fit between the snow melting and my car going away to have some work done to it.

The sub does NOT fit with it's long side across the width of the passenger seat.

Turning the sub through 90 degrees so it fits under the seat results in several inches of it poking out from under the seat back into the rear footwell.

The seat is also in contact with the top face of the sub when the seat is lowered into position, thus nicely damping the speaker outlet.

Should be able to have more of a fiddle with this on the cars return mid next week.

johnnyboy666

yes the blaupunkt was the one i had my eye on, although i had invisaged a similar problem to you daxed. having never actually seen one in the flesh i was having trouble visualising whether it would actually fit or not.

hadnt thought about sneaking it in the rear quarter, although maybe the passenger footwell might work, but then theres always the possibilty of getting booted (and possibley leaked upon if the heater matrix goes)

i also wouldnt want to damage it if it was under the seat if there's contact

The Arch Bishop

I have an older version of the Blaupunkt sub in my garage somewhere. I had it for a MR2 I had as there were no other options for speaker upgrades without sawing holes in things. It was pretty impressive considering the cost of them.

johnnyboy666

would it by any chance be for sale? assuming its in working order? do you know the model number etc?

The Arch Bishop

Sorry mate, afraid not! Will probably be using it again soon enough. It's pretty battered by now anyway so I doubt you'd want it.

johnnyboy666

no worries buddy

jeremy

I had an Slpine SWD1600 in my old Disco under the drivers seat. All I will say is fantastic it really enhanced the sound. You can normally get them off Ebay for about £40 to £50 plus p&p. The only thing is they are higher than some others so you will need to check that it will fit.