• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atari Boy

To Lacquer Or Not To Lacquer?

Atari Boy

I have a set of steelies that I want to tidy up slightly and use for a second set of track tyres.

The wheels are quite rusty here and there and I have gone over them with a wire wheel attached to a drill and also used some wet and dry sandpaper on them.

I am not expecting them to end up in concourse condition (and haven't got the patients either) so will paint them with smooth Hammerite followed by a top coat from a Hammerite rattle can to try and cover any major imperfections.

My question is, is there any merit in giving the wheels a final coat of lacquer in terms of protecting the paint or increasing longevity?

Many thanks

Jonny

Henry Yorke

No point lacquering Hammerite. You stand a greater chance of getting stuff stuck between the hammerite and the lacquer which will look poor. If you go for a darker colour, it will probably hide the most sins

boombang

Hammerite is very brittle, tends to come off in flakes.

If you want them to last, you really have to sort them properly. If not too worried, then just hammerite and repeat when chips off.

Hammerite can also be thinned out and sprayed, far easier and cheaper than rattle cans if you have access to a compressor.

Atari Boy

Thanks Henry, I am going for black which sounds like a good idea.

Tom Fenton

If you do the donkey work then consider taking them to a bodyshop- if you are in no rush for them and they can paint them using some left over paint from something else you may get them done cheap.

Proper 2 pack will last for ages, Hammerite sadly will look s*it in no time at all.

Atari Boy

Thanks for the advice chaps, not what I wanted to hear but appreciated all the same.

The problem I have is that these rims are really quite tatty with some rusty areas, I have tried to tidy them up to a degree but they remain quite 'weathered'. These are a third set of wheels for my track 205 and will be shod in worn 888's so I am loathed to throw much money at them although I acknowledge my shortermist view.