• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davey205

195/55/15 On A 1.9 Alloy?

davey205

Is there anything stopping me putting 195/55/15s tyres on my 1.9 alloys? I ask this because using a calculator I have found this to be the closest reading for the original speedo calibration of 185 65 14 on a 1.6 and I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to speed limits.

swordfish210

It wont pose any sort of problem.

davey205

Ok, excellant, so no rubbing or anything like that? car is not lowered.

swordfish210

If the rolling circumfrance is the same is the 65/14 tyre then why would it rub?

Tesstuff

I always thought the original 1.6 size was 185/60/14 ?

Where do you get 185/65/14 from ?

welshpug

yup, they'll likly rub a little as they are taller than the stock 185's, not as bad as 205 55 15 though :lol: depends if its lowered or not and how hard you drive (and if its on 1.6 hubs)

as surgie said, stock 205 14" is 185 60.

Edited by welshpug

davey205
I always thought the original 1.6 size was 185/60/14 ?

Where do you get 185/65/14 from ?

My bad, you are right it is 185/60/14, in which case my question now is will 190/50/15s cause any problems?

The car is standard in every way, i'm just trying to make it as accurate as possible using that handy calculator. http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

*Apologies for my ignorance about this i'm still taking it in what the numbers mean etc.

Edited by davey205

j_turnell

I really wouldnt worry too much about the speedo, its prob not accurate running the standard wheel and tyre combo anyway! Most people run 195/50's so no problems there. Will be a lot cheaper than the standard 185/55's and also the 195/55s you were considering.

Tesstuff
yup, they'll likly rub a little as they are taller than the stock 185's, not as bad as 205 55 15 though :lol: depends if its lowered or not and how hard you drive (and if its on 1.6 hubs)

as surgie said, stock 205 14" is 185 60.

You cheeky bloody sheep s****er!! Don't you ever associate me with Surgie!! Get tae f**k :lol:

jackherer

For reference 195-55/15 tyres definitely rub on the front edge of the rear valence at standard ride height.

Tom Fenton

It seems to depend on the car I have found, my old track car would run the rear valance, the one I have now does not.

I use 195/55/15 Dunlop track tyres.

SurGie

Off topic, but now it seems my name is used to get at other people, why rise to it eh ?

At least i dont hide my name when im online.

Henry Yorke
It seems to depend on the car I have found, my old track car would run the rear valance, the one I have now does not.

It also depends on 1.6 versus 1.9 beam mounts, the "squareness" of the tyre brand and also whether it has had a light tap in the back at any point

davey205

Thanks for all the help guys, lastly where is a good place to get it done and balanced etc. I've heard a few horror stories about ATS.

2-Pugs

When you get the wheels balanced, make sure you ask them to use stick-on weights on the inside of the wheel.

jackherer
When you get the wheels balanced, make sure you ask them to use stick-on weights on the inside of the wheel.

Unless you have big brakes that are close to the rim in which case ask them not to use stick on weights on the inside of the wheel.