• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
markw

Whats The Best Oil Breather System For Mi/gti6

markw

as above really, I need to work out a breather for my alloy blocked mi/gti6 headed, sprint car engine

I have done a search before anybody mentions it including Camerons brilliant 58 page thread.

its just that somewhere i am sure i read that the XU7 system is a straight fit, and if so has anyone got it for sale?

welshpug

not sure how the blocks differ on the front, I can check an XU7 later on though as I do have a stripped down one in my bedroom (it is clean and painted!)

what spec is your engine?

large

You have a stripped one in your bedroom! :lol: .

markw

its a 1928cc omega forged pistons,big catcams and verinear pulleys, solid lifters, double valve springs,ported head, 8v crank and rods, billet steel gti6 flywheel, helix 7 1/4" clutch, matched 45mm jenveys to manifold and to head, emerald K6 ecu,modified s16 windage tray, baffled sump ,miles built 1.9 ratios on a 4.4cwp with gripper diff

Edited by markw

welshpug

nice! running yet?

this is what my XU7 looks like, unfortunately I got a bare engine so can't show the breather pipes themselves, but what the diagram on servicebox shows is that both those takeoffs are connected to one at the cam cover, and the other pipe feeds to the inlet.

5215270822_d66f6860d5_m.jpg

yes Huw it is in my bedroom, with a few heads and rods etc :lol:

Edited by welshpug

DrSarty

I've thought of this myself recently, but only using some of the components, as I always use a catch tank as I personally do not believe that feeding crankcase and head breather gases back into the inlet is a good thing.

I'm specifically referring to using the twin hose on the front of the XU7JP4 block on the Mi alloy block as the 2 adjacent holes look similar. I can test fit and confirm tonight.

If it does fit it's a good solution as the hoses are more robust, wrapped and with no nasty kinks in which is where the older OE hoses tend to split.

If it does fit, the oil filler stack will go onto that (just 1 large hose instead of 2), bung other lower spout on stack, bung tiny outlet too, then remaining outlet goes to breather tank.

The other side of the catch tank in my set up would go to the cam cover outlet or outlets if you have a later (GTI6) type 16v head.

I'll report back.

Edited by DrSarty

Cameron

I used a mixture of GTI6 and Mi16 parts.. the large and small pipe are connected to a T-piece (from GTI6) that go up to the one-way valve (from GTI6) then into the rocker cover stub nearest the flywheel. The other stub is connected to the catch tank. This was the only way mine seemed to work, with all other configurations it blew oil everywhere!

markw

Welshpug,

No its not running yet, i have built it from a standard 1.6, so far its taken 3 years, you cant rush these things!!

also that picture of the block looks just like an mi block, so in theory they would fit, just how does the xu7 head breath??

Edited by markw

welshpug

two ports on the left hand end of the head, one feeds to both of those ports on the front of the block, the other feeds to the inlet.

markw

sorry WP,

Do you mean looking from the front the gearbox side or the cambelt side?

Edited by markw

welshpug

left side of the car, the side that's to the kerb in this country :D

DrSarty

Whoop! It fits.

I have pictures on my phone, which I'll try and upload before the weekend.

The XU7JP4 hose is quite rigid, with the plastic (rather than rubber) hoses AND the sleaving, but the twin hoses fit nicely to the lower breather outlets/oil fillers on the Mi16 block.

They come up to the Y piece and the spout above it over towards the thermostat housing. It fits and clears the throttle bodies on my engine build and leaves some nice options for the oil filler stack to be secured there, with hoses going to the catch tank as I described above from the oil filler stack and cam* cover.

*And it is a 'cam' cover, not a 'rocker' cover, as there are no rockers.

I am not sure how the filler stack arrangement will work with a standard Mi XU9J4 or GTI6 inlet; I'd say it'll come up just behind the throttle body, i.e. between the TB and the head, just to the side of cylinder 1 inlet. But I would rule out trying this with a factory S16 (2.0 Mi16) inlet fitted, as that's bloody huge. GTI6 inlet or throttle bodies FTW.

Edited by DrSarty

Cameron

Rocker cover is a generic term used for both by pretty much every mechanic. Anyone who starts frantically tearing their engine apart because they could only find cams under the rocker cover should just step away from the spanners. :wub:

Jrod

Any pics yet Rich?

markw

has anyone got the complete breather system for sale?

BusEngineer

Ive been a qualified mechanic for 10 years (admittedly on PSV/HGV!) and its always been a rocker cover, even at college doing in depth assignments counting towards the final qualification :D

DrSarty

Now who's being pedantic? :D

A roll is a roll; a sandwich is a sandwich.

Anyway...

Pics tomorrow. And I have 2 of these XU7JP4 oil breather hoses for sale at 15GBP ea.

Edited by DrSarty

DrSarty

Pics as promised...

Before:

30112010260medium.jpg

The XU7JP4 hose:

30112010259medium.jpg

Fitment:

30112010262medium.jpg

30112010261medium.jpg

petert

Rocker cover is a generic term used for both by pretty much every mechanic. Anyone who starts frantically tearing their engine apart because they could only find cams under the rocker cover should just step away from the spanners. tongue.gif

Missed this one! Whilst searching for info on catch tanks.

I'm with Sarty. Mechanics might call them rocker covers, but DOHC race engine builders definitely call them cam covers. You wouldn't believe how many times I've been pulled up on this one!

Cameron

You wouldn't believe how little I care. :P

tri_longer

A shameless plug I know, but I have just had this become available as I am now running a dry smup and is due to go in the for sales section. A custom catch tank that also doubles up as a filler and crankcase(rocker cover) breather.

Its an aluminium tank with a screw top filler, which has two pipes that connect to the individual inputs in the botton of the block and then an input from the rocker, with a final output for a small breather filter.

Its designed to sit on the inner wing where the washer bottle would normally be mounted. I have two of the three pipes required as well, just not the one from the rocker cover.

Pic should give you an idea.

DSCF3015-2.jpg

Sign in to follow this