• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TT205

Update On Winter Tyres

TT205

I put this as a new topic rather than adding to the previous thread as I think some of you may be very interested

Out of curiosity I went on www.mytyres.co.uk selected 'steel wheels with tyres' and put the details in for a 205 GTi and discovered they are much cheaper than I was expecting

I compared about 15-20 tyres scores on 'tyre test' and in the cheaper range the Pneumant PN 150 Wintec probably have just about the best score and prices WITH rims are:

165/70 R13 79T £57.80

155/70 R13 75T £54.80

They do 14's as well but are more dosh

175/65 R14 82T £67.20

165/65 R14 79T £65.80

I can't believe you can get a GOOD tyre INCLUDING wheel for under £55 !! (plus carriage)

For my saab these are nearly £80 each - 205's have yet another advantage!!

Dave

Cameron

Think yourself lucky, they're £150 each for the Mondeo. :(

Batfink

I've decided i'd rather just not drive and just work from home but If I had the money i'd get a set.

TT205
Think yourself lucky, they're £150 each for the Mondeo. :(

What profile are you looking for though?

If I put 215 60 15's on my Saab they would be at least £150 too but I wanted narrower so that they work well in snow and put 185 65 15's on which happen to also be much cheaper.

Cameron

Yeah I was going for 215/55/16, but it's the only option I can find with steel wheels as you have to enter the make and model. How did you get a quote for the smaller profile?

Edit:

After a quick check I found Focus wheels (205/55/16) for £133 each, which is better. Would still like something thinner though, 195 would be best.

Edited by Cameron

Anthony

I'd be cautious of dropping down on tyre size too much.

Yes, a significantly thinner tyre will work better on snow and with significant standing water, but would IMO be inferior the rest of the time compared to a winter tyre in the correct (or atleast similar) size to standard. This is especially true in the South, where we don't realistically get much more than a week or so of notable snowfall a year - last year was the exception, rather than the norm.

Certainly I ran my 306 on standard sized 195/55R15 winter tyres last year (and really should put them back on again now!) and it was fine even in the heavy snow that we had, with the bonus being that you could drive it normally throughout the rest of winter. I'd certainly be rather more cautious driving a 205 GTi on 155/70R13's implied in the first post, as that is bound to have a significantly adverse effect on acceleration, braking, and cornering grip over the correct sized (winter) tyres when there isn't snow on the ground.

Obviously if the car is over-tyred as standard (as many newer cars are) then dropping down a little isn't too much of a problem.

Cameron

Good point, and they tyre wear would be horrendous too!

I think 195 or 205 will be fine for the Mondeo, I'm only really getting them for driving to the Alps where there will be thick snow and steep hills.

TT205

I hear what Anthony is saying and he does have a strong point. I am probably getting a little carried away with the thought of intentionally going out to play in the snow with my 205 :(

There are however pro's and cons to a narrower (within reason) higher profile winter tyre - allegedly they will have as good or better grip than a summer tyre in temperatures below 7 degrees. The same width/profile will certainly have have superior grip to a summer tyre below 7 degrees

Unlike Anthony I live in the cold cold North (lol) so I am putting winter tyres on my car for if it snows rather than for superior grip in cold conditions and so am quite happy to drop 2 tyre sizes - eg 195 down to 175. Equally I know what I'm driving on and in winter don't attempt to corner or brake as if it was a summers day

Horses for courses

If you specifically want superior cold weather grip then as Anthony says - definitely replace like for like

(my opinion)

Edited by TT205

Rippthrough

I've a set of 13" steelies with 175/65's on going spare, 2 have a pair of almost brand new all season tyres on too (complete with Mud/Snow markings), others are normal tyres but have 5-6mm left anyway.

Bloody things don't go over my brakes any more :(

Baz

I just did this in the last lot of snow we had...

DSC01133.jpg

:(

Rippthrough

'S alright, I've got a pair of 15" magnesium compomotives shod with forest tyres ready to fit :(

Unfortunately, the gearbox is in a million pieces...

White Pugs

Glad you had a look at this Dave, the my tyres "with rims" is a good option, isn't it.

;)

J

Tom Fenton
'S alright, I've got a pair of 15" magnesium compomotives shod with forest tyres ready to fit ;)

Unfortunately, the gearbox is in a million pieces...

In that case you should let me borrow these.....!

Rippthrough

Ger yer thievin mitts orf! ;)

Henry Yorke

I read your post and thought the same as Tom, though I would run them on the 307. If you come across any 15" or 17" tyres cheaply, let me know. I have spare rims

Henry Yorke
Glad you had a look at this Dave, the my tyres "with rims" is a good option, isn't it.

:)

J

Really useful post. Out of interest, what steel wheels would they use as the question for some would be, would they fit over 307 / 180 / GTI6 brake calipers?

White Pugs

Good question Henry re caliper clearance, I think they will work on the assumption that the model quoted by the customer will be standard, i think there is a tel number on the site for queries.

Cheers

J

JRL

whilst looking for tyres on the internet I noticed they are selling lots of tyre snow socks and chains has anyone used them?

McDude
whilst looking for tyres on the internet I noticed they are selling lots of tyre snow socks and chains has anyone used them?

Chains are only good when the snow gets really deep - they are a pain to fit and rattle like hell. Can't ever see them being necessary in the UK.

I started the original Winter Tyres thread - you are missing the point if you are thinking 'snow' in the UK we hardly get any (I know it is snowing right now!) it is the cold weather and water displacement that makes these sort of tyres a must have. The fact that I can drive anywhere with confidence in the snow right now is an added bonus.

pug_ham

I missed a pair of Continental TS810 winter tyres for £50 to fit my 306 on Monday. :(

Just had an idea to look through the original 205 GTI owners handbook & it lists "Contact tyres" for the 205 GTI in the two sizes below;

• 1.6 185/60R14 use 165/65R14.
  • 185/55R15 usses 175/65/14.

I'll have to look in my 306 hdi handbook & see what its lists for them but I've got some spare 15" rims with dead tyres on so its a shame to downsize / have to buy more rims. :P

Graham.

Cameron

Kwik Fit are doing a good deal on Continental Winter Contact, I got some for the Mondeo at £84 each - £20 less than Mytyres.

DamirGTI

... a quick one .. please , will 185/60/15 tyres be fine to fit on a 205 ? :blink: .. need to note , it's lowered , with Eibach springs and up the rear equally of course ..

Bought some winter tyres in this 185/60/15 dimension , cos i couldn't find a 185/55/15 .. suppose this exstra /+5/ will not make much difference ?! :wacko:

Damir :lol:

Cameron

You might get some rubbing on the lower front corners of the rear arch if anything.

I opted for some Continental Winter Contact from Kwik Fit, they're awesome so far, especially in the softer snow and slush! Makes a bit of a difference in the ice, but not a massive amount.. means I can actually use the throttle to pull away instead of just riding the clutch at idle speed!