• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
yorkey1989

1.9 Gearbox Problem

yorkey1989

hello can any one please help me?? after taking my car out tonight my 1.9 205 gti has developed a rateling noise through 1st 2nd and 3rd gear but 4th doesnt seem to do it, it also feels harder to get into and changing gear and makes more of a ''clunk'' i am guessing something majorly wrong gearbox wise, any advise please!!

thanks...

jack

Is it doing it in gear or does it go when you dip the clutch?

Is it a rattle or a grinding?

Can you feel it thru the stick?

I would remove gearbox and replace with good used, there isnt much you can "cure" when a box starts making internal grumblings without it coming out

change clutch and driveshaft seals while your in there and fannys your aunt

Henry Yorke

It doesn't sound the best. Whatever it is, it will most likely require the box off as Adam said, or it could be the diff starting to give up which may be catchable without totally removing the box.

Good luck! This is the point you start reading about how much quicker 1.6 boxes are for acceleration but will increase your overall fuel consumption etc.

yorkey1989

erm yeah its a grinding noise when driving through 1st 2nd 3rd, when dipping the clutch the noise stops and yes you can feel it through gear leaver!

you might be lucky with a clutch release bearing swap

box still needs coming off though

yorkey1989

i have decided to get a new gearbox and hope that sorts it lol trial and error!!! thank you for the sugestions!

Ren

Where abouts in Leics are you mate? We have a monthly meet at the Foxhunter if you're interested.

Ren

Sign in to follow this