• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mart Pug

Consensus On Best Exhaust And Mani Combo?

Mart Pug

So, I've performed the necessary searches and can't seem to locate any general consensus on the best exhaust to go for, on a standard 1.9? And manifold too.

Coming from the 106 world, it was all about the "pugsport".

Thanks!

boombang

If you want noise, Magnex, if you don't mind it quiet, then standard.

By standard I mean OE spec, not crappy pattern stuff.

Mart Pug

No, im not after noise, just drivability and performance.

That's interesting, so basically you can't beat the standard one for performance? No wonder there's not much debate about it in the archives.

What about exhaust manifold?

tomcolinjones
No, im not after noise, just drivability and performance.

That's interesting, so basically you can't beat the standard one for performance? No wonder there's not much debate about it in the archives.

What about exhaust manifold?

Im sure the astandard one is verry good, you have to pay a fair amount of money to get a good 4-1/4-2-1 . make sure the downpipe you get has adevider in it if u choose to stik with the standard manifold.

Baz

Magnex's aren't noisy at all in the great scheme of things, i had one that was actually quieter than a standard system i had at the same time!

But as said, nowt wrong with standard Ph2 systems, the only restrictive part is the backbox.

Mart Pug
the only restrictive part is the backbox.

Mmm so what back box would a newbie like me seek out to avoid the restrictive OE one?

God knows what I've got, no markings!

DSC01408.jpg

Baz

Doesn't look familiar tbh, could just be a generic make, Powerflow/Peco etc.

I like standard backboxes for road cars tbh, but preferably ones that the baffles have blown out of so they've become less restrictive but not too loud! Otherwise, my choice is/and would be a magnex or similar quality stainless straight through backbox if coupled to a standard Ph2 system, so obviously less restrictive & not being too loud.

Mart Pug
Doesn't look familiar tbh, could just be a generic make, Powerflow/Peco etc.

I like standard backboxes for road cars tbh, but preferably ones that the baffles have blown out of so they've become less restrictive but not too loud! Otherwise, my choice is/and would be a magnex or similar quality stainless straight through backbox if coupled to a standard Ph2 system, so obviously less restrictive & not being too loud.

Cheers baz.

So, on the manifolds is it the usual raceland / supersprint / etc, as it is with 106s?

shalmaneser

generally agreed that the existing mani is quite good, it's actually a 4/2/1 system as standard, as long as you have the proper split downpipe. Early ones tend to crack though, can cause slight loss of power.

Maniflow seem to do quite a good manifold if you must get a new one, it's a total nightmare to fit from what I've heard though. Hence I've stayed standard.

C_W
Mmm so what back box would a newbie like me seek out to avoid the restrictive OE one?

God knows what I've got, no markings!

DSC01408.jpg

It's not restrictive in the sense you're losing power from it, just that the back box is the restrictive part of the system if that makes sense. I've run all sorts of exhausts on my car, PECO DTM, standard, OE pattern, Powerflow, Jetex and noticed no difference. Jetex is the best aftermarket IMO, it's not boomy, in fact it's quieter than standard when brand new, it does get a touch louder when worn in but it's not boom or too loud.

Mart Pug

Oh yeah, see what he meant now.

Cool, I think I'll see how boomy this thing is that I have and then look for an OE one if it's a bit much.

Blog to start soon - when I get to my 30 posts and active driver status B)

matt.f

As said the standard manifold with splitter pipe is a good choice.My mate has got a Maniflow on his but I've not been out in it yet,quite dear tho £350 iirc

Alan_M
As said the standard manifold with splitter pipe is a good choice.My mate has got a Maniflow on his but I've not been out in it yet,quite dear tho £350 iirc

Rob the Sparky had a full Maniflow system on a previous 205 1.9, and took it all off due to the boominess. I actually have the backbox from it on my Mi16 with Maniflow 4-2-1 and centre box. Have to use earplugs if I'm going long distance in it.

Cameron

When people recommend sticking with the standard manifold & system it's only because they don't think the gains reflect the price you pay, NOT because there aren't decent gains to be had from an aftermarket manifold & system! If you think the few bhp gain is worth it then go for it, otherwise spend your £800-odd on something that will give you a good return, ooooooohh like a 16V engine. :lol:

Avoid the "Pugsport Group N" systems, they're very poor quality and won't last you more than a year. They're also a smaller diameter than the standard pipework so are much, much louder and high-pitched.

weejimmy

i dont think it is because they are not worth the gain, i think its genuinely because you dont get a gain,

nost manufacturs just slap an exhaust on a car without too much thought, but when pug built the 205 they did a fair whack of design testing on the exhaust and as far as i am aware most tests have showen a loss from changing to a aftermarket exhaust. (on a other wise standard car)

Batfink

supersprint had a manifold which made a few gains. They dont bother making parts if they cannot get any power.

discontinued now and I dont fancy buying 20 to try to sell :rolleyes:

Cameron

I'm talking about a 4-2-1 manifold with a matching system though, not a Peco back box or Pugsport. The 205's manifold is heavily compromised to be cheap, so of course there's room for improvement.

Mart Pug

Thanks guys, healthy debate!

Can I just confirm what Matt f meant above, by "splitter pipe"?

Any pics or links would be awesome.

welshpug

The original downpipe is made up of two pipes in a double "D" shape, the flat faces next to each other, so from afar it looks like a normal large bore pipe.

this meets up with the cast manifold which has the 4 ports paired off and meet the downpipe

This effectively creates a fairly long 4-2-1 without the expense of a tubular item, and the faffing that comes from hanging a rigid 4 branch tubular manifold off the back of an engine that pivots around its top engine mounting.

later two piece systems are a larger bore from the end of the downpipe (early systems are sleeved and split into downpipe - centrebox - rear silencer, later systems have the downpipe welded directly to the centre box and have an olive type clamp to the backbox)

Edited by welshpug

Henry Yorke

As has been said there are some horses to be gained with a different manifold, especially when the 8v is highly tuned (talking 240bhp Longman engines etc) but you won't see the benefit on a road car. A non cracked standard manifold with good gaskets and fire ring and a split downpipe will be ample. I understand your questioning given the love (cult?!) of Pugsport exhausts on the 106 / Saxo forums.

Cameron

I never really understood why the quality difference was so huge between 106 and 205 "Pugsport" systems.. Both are made for rallying, right? But the 205 system seems to be completely disposable whereas the 106 seems a little more built to last. Is it because 205 owners are cheap bastards? ;)

Edited by Cameron

welshpug

have you not heard about all the 106 and 306 exhausts cracking and spitting all their baffles out Cam? :)

they may not rot away in a year or two, but they aren't that much better quality wise, though off the shelf for a relatively stock engine they are very good and not excessively loud.

Baz

Agreed the more expensive systems of course make a difference when other work is done to the engine, but to a point i don't think it's worth doing before reaching a certain stage of tune.

The full system that was on my White car when it was an 8v was a work of art, Maniflow/Longman custom tuned manifold onto a bespoke race system with repackable backbox and cost something IRO £1400 all in, insane!

6.jpg

rear_silencer.jpg

I have a couple of 16v 4-2-1 manifolds with various systems, a full maniflow, Mongoose stainless system etc. and the Longman 8v has a matched Longman (Maniflow) 4-2-1 and system, although of course louder and more invasive than standard, i don't find them too terrible even in stripped/caged cars. Certainly more induction noise with carbs/bodies than the exhaust alone.

Edited by Baz

Guest Al D

My car has a full Magnex stainless steel system with a non-standard 4-1 manifold. I had originally toyed with the idea of putting it back to standard but the cost of buying a new OE pattern exhaust, downpipe and standard manifold (probably second hand) has put me off at least in the short-term.

My immediate problem is that my centre box, although not corroded, has split around the oval edge end cap seal (in a couple of places) and is now blowing quite badly (no doubt damaged by the fact that the car was lowered 50mm, running on its bump stops at the back and regularly shaking the rear exhaust hanger of its mount). I have just put the car back to standard ride height and as a quick fix, will get the centre box welded but can anyone recommomend where I can buy a Magnex (or similar) stainless centre pipe - the Magnex site does not even list it as a part anymore!

Thanks

Sign in to follow this