• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mart Pug

Consensus On Best Exhaust And Mani Combo?

Guest Al D

Wasn't supposed to be a thread high-jack or drift by the way - just thought that a few people knowledgable in the exhaust department would be following the discussion!

Batfink
I never really understood why the quality difference was so huge between 106 and 205 "Pugsport" systems.. Both are made for rallying, right? But the 205 system seems to be completely disposable whereas the 106 seems a little more built to last. Is it because 205 owners are cheap bastards? :lol:

As I sell the 106 ones I can tell you the quality is not all that...

TaffyTim

From what i've seen trackday noise limits arent usually a problem for 205s.

Ive a 'miles' 4 2 1 onto a magnex system for my 16v and I dont remember getting over 90Db when tested at trackdays

Cameron

Depends on the state of tune of the engine.. there are literally thousands of factors affecting exhaust noise y'see.

Baz
My car has a full Magnex stainless steel system with a non-standard 4-1 manifold. I had originally toyed with the idea of putting it back to standard but the cost of buying a new OE pattern exhaust, downpipe and standard manifold (probably second hand) has put me off at least in the short-term.

My immediate problem is that my centre box, although not corroded, has split around the oval edge end cap seal (in a couple of places) and is now blowing quite badly (no doubt damaged by the fact that the car was lowered 50mm, running on its bump stops at the back and regularly shaking the rear exhaust hanger of its mount). I have just put the car back to standard ride height and as a quick fix, will get the centre box welded but can anyone recommomend where I can buy a Magnex (or similar) stainless centre pipe - the Magnex site does not even list it as a part anymore!

Thanks

Magnex's/Stainless cracking is quite common tbh, as is the backbox working it's way off it's hangers every now and then.

Magnex don't technically exist anymore afaik, so you'll find no joy there. You can drill &split pin/lockwire or jubilee clip the exhaust hangers or just use a different, tighter style of one to stop the BB falling off.

A standard replacement system shouldn't be that expensive, someone on here will have a decent later braced manifold, and even a new decent system shouldn't be too expensive!

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/exhausts-final...&eng=1.9000

mattbenselin

I am using an Iressa 4-1 manifold which is mild steel and wasn't new when I got it. I gave it a lick or two of VHT paint and wrapped it to help with minimising corrosion and engine bay temps. Never had any problems, yet, and tbh I can't tell if it's louder because of the rest of my system. It's loud but has a rally-car rasp to it which is nice! From the manifold I have a stainless braided flexi section which connects to a ph2 centre section with std silencer. I used the flexi section to minimise the risk of the manifold and/or any other part cracking as the engine rocks (even on stiffer mounts). The centre section was cut to sleeve-fit onto a Peco racing silencer which is straight-through, mild steel and the same ID as the centre section. This has just been trial fitted so there are gaps still buts it sounds good so far.

Going to get the car mapped in the new year so will be interesting to see power/torque and a db reading. Fingers crossed it's not too loud!

Moral, I suppose, is that this system was dirt cheap to build (all in cost me £75) and should give some improvement over standard I hope on my engine anyway. Plus I built it and it's probably unique, which I like.

Baz

I've had a couple of Iressa Mani's, thy seem better than the Magnex's from a quality POV, they certainly don't crack so badly but one of mine had corroded quite a bit, no idea how they compare performance-wise though.

Sign in to follow this