• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
m_attt

:( Gti6 Top End Rattle

m_attt

:unsure: my gti6 205 has started to rattle really bad from the top end it has com from knowhere, now have quite a bad rattle from 2k and its coming from around the oil filler area of the head.

any ideas what to check or whats failed, as i have searched but found nothing.

regards

welshpug

checked the oil level?

take the plugs out and see what their condition is.

m_attt

sorry forgot to mention oil is fine and only recently been done, plugs will check tomo.

welshpug

a very common issue, is a spark plug coming loose, so fingers crossed its as simple as that :unsure:

m_attt

ill pray all night lol, hoping it is.

will report back in the morning cheers

m_attt

:lol: its not the plugs, but what a mission that was a bloody pain in the **** coil pack bolts rounded :D

any ideas what to try looking at next.

reagards

welshpug

what did they look like?

I'd hazard a guess at a big end bearing or a dropped valve if it not something like an exhaust manifold leaking or cracke3d

m_attt

plugs i looked at were fine, that tan colour and dry.

ive had 2 pugs with big ends gone before and it doesnt sound or feel like they did, it definitely sounds like its coming from the top. What do you mean by a dropped valve as the noise im 90% shore is coming from the valve area.

cheers

EDIT: doesnt sound like a cracked manifold as its deffinatly a rattle not a tick.

Edited by m_attt

peter

I have the exact same problem, sounds like a shim has come loose but i cant see anything when the rocker cover is off.

Tom Fenton

Check the cam pulley bolts are tight, I've had one of these come loose before, luckily for me the belt stayed on.

DrSarty

Valves are relatively weak on a '6, and if your timing was or went out by a little, valve can hit piston and break off the valve head.

Is the rattle that loud? It happened to me, and needs typically a new head if you're unlucky or at least some work, and almost definitely a piston.

This is quite common and a complete arse ache. I hope it's one of the other less drastic causes.

P.S. And it's a cam cover, not a rocker cover, even on an 8v XU, as there no rockers.

Edited by DrSarty

Anthony

If it had snapped a valve head off though Rich you'd know about it - it would be on 3 cylinders for a start.

A valve that's been dinked but not snapped tends to make a pronounced and obvious tapping sound rather than what I'd term a "rattle"

peter

Its more a knock/hard tap under the CAM cover on the one ive seen, im assuming its the same on the op's.

its obviosly not a snapped valve that would make quit a noise! :)

im betting its a bent valve or 2

DrSarty

I agree with the comments, however my valve head lodged in the port so it wasn't that obviously running on 3.

Either way, if it is a valve and not something benign and easy to fix, then you're still looking at head work or replacement and maybe still a piston depending how bad the clash was.

Will be interesting to hear what it was and hope you get away witn a cheap and easy fix.

m_attt

it could be described as a tap i guess, its deffinatly not runing on 3. but the cambelt doesnt look too clever the tension between the two cams is poor so the bent valve theory sounds about right.

guess its time to whip the head off :)

Anthony

Not just a failed tappet I assume if it's more of a tap?

Edp

Sounds like a bent valve to me. I had this in a Gti6. Cambelt had slipped two teeth and bent two valves.

Head off job I'm afraid. It wasn't as bad as I expected though. Hardest bit tensioning the cam belt back up with the lump in the car. A mate with skinny arms comes in handy!

Actually have a look at my project thread my sig and go to post 182, I have a video of mine with the sewing machine sound effects. Does your sound similar?

Good luck with it.

Edited by Edp

m_attt

cheers for the replys guys, have made a video now.

it doesnt sound like a bent valve listening to others, as it only does it once the revs are picked up.

in the video yu can here from 12 secs on

Tom Fenton

There is only so much anyone can guess at over the internet. If I were you I would put away the video camera and get the spanners out.

m_attt

fair point, guess im just trying to delay the inevitable :lol:

Tom Fenton

Get stuck in to it, you'll feel a lot better once you know what it is rather than second guessing.

allye

Oh dear! That sounds like a bag of nails! Def time to get the head off.

Good luck with it,

Ali

welshpug

ouch, sounds like a big end to me.

easy enough to tell if its a tappet, just take the cam covers off and give each one a prod, but I certainly wouldn't run it any longer with it making that noise.

Edited by welshpug

dandanger

what was making the noise?

m_attt

when i took the engine out to swap and had a look, it seams the cambelt had jumped a tooth were It wasn't tensioned correctly.

Sign in to follow this