• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tomcolinjones

205 1.9gti Automatic To Manual Gti Spec Conversion

tomcolinjones

Hello, I have had my eye on a 205 gti auto on ebay. As I was after a tidy shell, and found this.

I think it has the gentry / cti engine (105 bhp?)

So far, to convert it to a manual again, I think I need xu9 head, manual gearbox, linkages, stick, subframe, would this give it the power of a standard 1.9 gti? or would i need to change the bottom end aswell? some sort of low compression pistons or something?

I did do a search, but all i realy found was some stuff about an inhibitor switch, which i think means you have to be in park before you can start it.

and do they have disc rear beams? or just the 1.6 drums?

thanks.

Tom

dumbiron

subframe will be the same, dont forget you need a "thinner" brake pedal and a clutch pedal, flywheel/clutch.

tomcolinjones
subframe will be the same, dont forget you need a "thinner" brake pedal and a clutch pedal, flywheel/clutch.

noted, thanks

is it 1.9/1.6 beam?

jord294

iirc, the auto gti has a drum brake beam

welshpug

what with the age of these vehicles and the changing specs in production it'd be best to just have a look at the car you've bought.

Miles

Rear drum if no ABS fitted, its basically a 1.6 with GTi trim, 1.6 wheels and cloth inside.

Henry Yorke

Head change will increase the compression but it runs on jetronic, not motronic. You will probably gain about 15 bhp with the head and cam, which will be a bit less than a catted GTI. Don;t be tempted by the aircon as it won't work now!! Not sure if the auto GTIs have the 1.9 CTI rear beam and possibly the thin 14mm ARB, though they do have the GTI setup up front.

Miles

Bottom end use's flat top pistons, More so than the 1.6 so compression will be too high really