• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
boldy205

Peugeot 505 Gti

boldy205

Hi, im looking at something RWD and keep coming back to E30s, but i recently saw a 505 gti for sale, something which i had never thought about before. They are RWD, look pretty aggressive and are something a bit different. I would be using it as a track car, so do they handle ok?

Thanks for looking

Matt

jord294

iirc, i a forum member weejimmy? may help

S@m
Hi, im looking at something RWD and keep coming back to E30s, but i recently saw a 505 gti for sale, something which i had never thought about before. They are RWD, look pretty aggressive and are something a bit different. I would be using it as a track car, so do they handle ok?

Thanks for looking

Matt

I've always loved the idea of having a 505, a Gti or maybe a turbo; they are so difficult to find though. Anyway, heres a couple of videos which might help you see if they handle or not!

The guy in the second one must hate that car! nutter!

Sam

Ryan

You'll never find a 505 turbo as they were never sold in Europe afaik - US market only.

S@m
You'll never find a 505 turbo as they were never sold in Europe afaik - US market only.

Curse you and your facts! :)

Flozman

Like all Pugs they used to be rather common, my brother was on about a 505 on Pistonheads with fat rims the other day.

The 505 Gti was rather tame horsepower wise, but if you want my pennies worth id go with the V6 engine which is used in Volvo Reno..

Handling is excellent for the time but fairly primative compaired to BMW's.

RossD

Nope, the turbo was sold in Europe, just not in the UK as it was LHD drive only. In fact the Europeans had a more powerful 200bhp version, rather than the emission stangled 180bhp version that was sold in the US. Only the turbo estate version was unique to the US.

The GTi badge is a bit of a misnomer - They even put it on the 7 seater estate version. It had a 2.2 130bhp engine with Bosch LE2 injection - The engine was the 'Douvrin' engine shared by Renault and Peugeot. In fact the petrol engine under the bonnet of many 1980's and 1990's Renault in 2.0 or 2.2 form is the same lump.

The V6 version is the one with all the toys, leather, creamy smooth 170bhp engine. Something like 8 - 9 seconds to 60mph.

When I was younger we had several of the 7 seat family estate versions, plenty of fond memories of those. These cars were made before French cars got the reputation of being flimsy and delicate, these are as tough as old boots and go on forever. Non-GTi versions had an ancient 2.0 OHV engine, which was rough and ready but would probably still be running in a few hundred years from now.

The only thing is is that rust is starting to kill them and main dealer parts are very quickly becoming NFP or NLA. You won't find any in the scrapyards either, because of their reputation for being tough and going on forever most of the remaining ones have been exported to Africa and similar places.

Edited by RossD

MrG

you could be lucky and get the ultra rare 4x4 'Dangel' version!

google images 4x4

blue_haddock
you could be lucky and get the ultra rare 4x4 'Dangel' version!

google images 4x4

There was a 505 dangel version up for sale when i was in Cape Verde a few years ago.

S6301044.jpg

Henry Yorke

As Ross said, they were in Europe. They were also the forerunner to the 309 Turbo Cup (309 Trophee) in a single make series in Europe

trophee_505_turbo.jpg

It was back around the time of the T16

peugeotdecourse4.jpg

More on www.505turbo.com

Kristian (BlackMi16 on here) knows someone with a boosted up one that they brought to Pugfest one year from Norway

gowmonster

if your not needing practicality, an MX5 is a cheap, fun handling RWD car, can get them with LSD's too.

blue_haddock
Kristian (BlackMi16 on here) knows someone with a boosted up one that they brought to Pugfest one year from Norway

you mean the one that crashed 50 yards from the entrance!

boldy205

I have seen them in motorsport in pics on the net, think it would be something different for a track day!

The 4x4 model it rather funky, though i think a V8 505 would be good!

RossD

V6 turbo from the old Renault 25 Turbo should drop right in :)

boldy205

V6 Turbo! Hmmmm!

weejimmy

hey i did have one of these,

was a silver 505 2.2 gti, had all the heated leather / air con etc etc

had a 1 page feature in red line few years back.

was a great car, fun in the wet, great crussier

would highly recomend one, my old car is for sale again, it was a realy good car, very little rust, has a few niggles now but nothing major,

and the guy phoned me up asking if i wanted it back for a fair bit less than its advertised for so mayb a bargin there for somone

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1980497.htm

boldy205

WeeJimmy, think i have seen the same pic for a ad in motorsport news, or a weekly classic news paper for sale, advertised for sale in Somerset i think. Not sure where west lothian is, but guess its not anywhere near Somerset!?

Matt

GLPoomobile
Not sure where west lothian is, but guess its not anywhere near Somerset!?

It's just a few minutes up the road in Scotland :unsure:

weejimmy

yeah prety near edinburgh,

its been up here for a good few years now thoe.

so tempted to buy it back but im trying to sell cars just now not buy them

allye

Your old 505 is lovely! Looks so mean with those deep wheels. I want one!