• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fatony1

Gti-6 Lightened Flywheel?

fatony1

Is this an upgrade worth doing? Im taking the box out of my 205 GTI-6 soon to do the flywheel oil seal and i thought if it's worth doing i might as well do it while the box is out :lol:

Super Josh

If you are running on the standard GTi6 management then I would say don't bother as the reduction of inertia in the flywheel makes the car much more likely to stall when the revs come back down to idle.

If you are running a 3rd party management system then go for it as it makes it much more free-revving :)

Josh

saveloy

I agree with Josh, 100%.

Furthermore, bananas are disgusting. And smoothie drinks involving hidden bananas are cheating, pure and simple.

Super Josh

Kyri you been on the sauce again Mate? :P

Josh

saveloy

Yes Sir, I have. And my internet connection still accepts me in such a condition.

boldy205

From flywheels to bananas and back to flywheels! Who machines these down? Whats the cost?

matty_gti

Alot of 306 owners say they are a worth while mod and can feel the difference over standard.

dumbiron
Alot of 306 owners say they are a worth while mod and can feel the difference over standard.

it adds 13bhp :D

saveloy

It adds nothing in terms of power/torque. But for every kilo lost at the flywheel, the equivalent of approximately 100 kilos is lost from the car's weight.

In essence, it gives better acceleration.

GTI6 management can likely cope with the weight loss, but std 8 valve will cry and simply stall at every junction.

harryskid
It adds nothing in terms of power/torque. But for every kilo lost at the flywheel, the equivalent of approximately 100 kilos is lost from the car's weight.

GTI6 management can likely cope with the weight loss, but std 8 valve will cry and simply stall at every junction.

I ran a lightened flywheel on my rally 1900gti and it made a much better free revving engine and it did not cry and stall at every junction! :D

saveloy

It all depends on the amount it was lightened by. Standard cars are obnoxious enough, with regard to idle quality - especially if things aren't set up very well. 1kg is alot to remove. A quarter of that will be noticeable at the throttle!

A std 1.9 flywheel is about 6kg. Compare that with some modern dual mass types, at almost double, and you see my point.

NVH has plenty to answer for!

SurGie

That's good to hear after having one waiting to be fitted :D.

Edited by SurGie

harryskid

On my vts i used a 200mm comp clutch with a 1800 flywheel part no 0532c9 and i think this set up is possibly lighter than the standard set up!

omega

on the 8v ive heard people use the 1600 flywheel on the 1900 engine as its lighter so i think the management must be able to cope.

saveloy

The std 1.6 flywheel is a little over 6kg. 1.9 items are the same, although some are a touch heavier.

Anthony
The std 1.6 flywheel is a little over 6kg. 1.9 items are the same, although some are a touch heavier.

1.9 flywheel is approximately 1kg heavier than a 1.6 flywheel - just looking at them you can see where the weight has been lost on the 1.6 flywheel.

Baz

I think Kyri's point is that a properly lightened and balanced flywheel (ie. one worth having) will be significantly lighter than a standard item, and therefore standard 8v analog management may well struggle.

A simple 1.9 to 1.6 flywheel swap isn't a massive difference in the great scheme of things.

On my vts i used a 200mm comp clutch with a 1800 flywheel part no 0532c9 and i think this set up is possibly lighter than the standard set up!

I had all three together recently iirc an XU7 flywheel is no lighter than an Mi/GTi6 item iirc, therefore heavier than a 1.6 one.

Edited by Baz

Anthony

Well, put it this way - my 4.3kg Mi16 flywheel (around 2.2kg lighter than standard) worked absolutely fine on standard S16 management when it was fitted in James_R's old 306, and you're not going to get a standard steel flywheel much lighter than that without losing timing teeth etc. No idle issues, no stalling coming upto junctions - just much improved throttle response and willingness to pickup and accelerate.

saveloy

I do remember weighing a couple of flywheels: a 1.6 & a 1.9 item. And there was very little in it.

However, I do know that there are heavier 1.9 flywheels. So there are obviously more than 'just' 1.6 & 1.9 items.

Baz, essentially yes.

Anthony, I don't recall the 306 S16 suffering from any 205 like idle malaise!

Sign in to follow this