• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jaked

Gearbox Identification Help

jaked

Hi,

I know it may be a bit of a long shot, but I have an un-identified gearbox I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what it is. I'm hoping it's an MA from a 205 (hence the post in the TU section). But also, I understand there's an 'early' and a 'later' gearbox (something to do with the bell housing?).

I'm hoping it'll fit a TU5J4 (in a 205 xs), but I can't currently 'offer it up' to see if the bolt holes line up etc.

I also have a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone happen to know gearbox bolt part numbers for these (MA to TU's???), or am I better off getting them from a scrap yard?

2. If it is indeed a 205 MA, does the clutch need to match the gearbox, or the engine?

3. Also, I've heard talk of a crank sensor (having / not having one) - can anyone help me out here?

Thanks in advance - pics below.

Jake

th_CIMG5331.jpg th_CIMG5334.jpg th_CIMG5336.jpg th_CIMG5337.jpg th_CIMG5338.jpg

christopher
Hi,

I know it may be a bit of a long shot, but I have an un-identified gearbox I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what it is. I'm hoping it's an MA from a 205 (hence the post in the TU section). But also, I understand there's an 'early' and a 'later' gearbox (something to do with the bell housing?).

I'm hoping it'll fit a TU5J4 (in a 205 xs), but I can't currently 'offer it up' to see if the bolt holes line up etc.

I also have a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone happen to know gearbox bolt part numbers for these (MA to TU's???), or am I better off getting them from a scrap yard?

2. If it is indeed a 205 MA, does the clutch need to match the gearbox, or the engine?

3. Also, I've heard talk of a crank sensor (having / not having one) - can anyone help me out here?

Thanks in advance - pics below.

Jake

th_CIMG5331.jpg th_CIMG5334.jpg th_CIMG5336.jpg th_CIMG5337.jpg th_CIMG5338.jpg

It is a phase 2 TU gearbox as fitted to Peugeot 106's. You can see my the curved part on the inspection hole. You need to find the code to identify it further. It will fit a TU5J4 without problems

miamichris

As above, its a 106 ma box, look for a code to find out what model it's from. I currently have a 106 diesel box on my tu5jp4 in my 205 xs after I blew the 106 gti one, I'm going to be removing it once I find another 106 gti box, the ratio's are too long! The close ratios in the 106 gti box are more fun, so I'd advise to fit the tu5jp4 box and not just put any old 106 gearbox onto it.

Don't bother trying to fit a 205 ma gearbox to the 106 gti engine, it doesn't fit, the bolt patterns are different. I already tried, I even cut the crank angle sensor hole in the Xs box before I tried to fit it! :lol:

EDIT: Yes, just get the gearbox bolts from a 106 engine in the scrapyard. You need the crank angle sensor for the 106 gti engine, do you not have it?

Here's a few on ebay --> http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=106+gti...6.c0.m270.l1313

It bolts to the L/H side front of the engine and sits in that curved cut out on the gearbox you have there.

Edited by miamichris

jaked

Amazing! Thanks to both of you for your great responses. I don't have crank angle sensor, bought the engine without a gearbox. But I will soon. Thanks Miamichris. I've read your project and am in awe of how quick you did the conversion, especially all the wiring etc.

I'll keep an eye out for a gti box, and in the mean time try and find some bolts + ID my current box more specifically. Is the rubbing of the 'shafts on the diff pin a major issue if I'm using a 106 box?

Also, may seem basic/dumb question, but will I need a clutch to match the engine or the gearbox (obviously if I find a gti one it removes this issue)!

miamichris
Amazing! Thanks to both of you for your great responses. I don't have crank angle sensor, bought the engine without a gearbox. But I will soon. Thanks Miamichris. I've read your project and am in awe of how quick you did the conversion, especially all the wiring etc.

I'll keep an eye out for a gti box, and in the mean time try and find some bolts + ID my current box more specifically. Is the rubbing of the 'shafts on the diff pin a major issue if I'm using a 106 box?

Also, may seem basic/dumb question, but will I need a clutch to match the engine or the gearbox (obviously if I find a gti one it removes this issue)!

Yeah, I just worked at it every evening for about 3 weeks, there's a fair bit of work in it! All is well now though, its behaving itself and its great fun to drive! :)

I would stick with the gti clutch as it is bigger and so more heavy duty, you'll get a clutch kit in your motor factors, try to get valeo or luk if you can.

Regards this diff pin issue, there's conflicting opinions on that one, as far as i'm aware it's only the gti and rallye gearboxes that have the thicker diff pin so if you decide to use the box you have and its from a 1.1 or diesel for example, it won't have the thicker pin so you don't have to worry about it. If you use a gti gearbox, then you can get around the issue by fitting new driveshaft seals and leaving the passenger side seal protruding from the gearbox slightly, around 3mm I think, which stops your gearbox oil leaking out. However, this still leaves the issue of, is the pin rubbing on the end of the driveshaft causing wear?

So to do it right, you need a passenger side 106 gti driveshaft, then you split the 205 and 106 driveshaft and use the inner (closest to gearbox) part of the 106 driveshaft and the rest of the 205 one and make a frankenshaft. There, thats all the knowledge I learned from my research on this problem! :) I'm going to do what I just described when I get my hands on a 106 gti gearbox and driveshaft to sort the problem once and for all.

Any questions mate, PM me and I'll help you out with the conversion.

jaked

What a legend. Thanks mate. Read loads, but ended up just getting confused about diff pin. That spells it out and makes sense, so thanks! Glad to hear you're enjoying the benefits of all your hard work!

RossD

It's not a box from a 1.6 - They have strengthened casings and also a tougher diff, see my pic below. It's more likely a 1.1 or 1.4 box. What are the number etched into the casing, that will confirm it's ID.

th_S1051794.jpg <--Clicky

Box on the right is from a 1.6 - See the difference in the casings?