• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Matt205

Will A Std 1.6 Handle A Trackday?

Matt205

The title says it all really. I have a std 1.6 in fairly good condition that I'd like to take for a blast on a track day. My concern is that it might lack the speed and therefore I'll be more in the way than anything else. I'm thinking of buying a 1.9 that I can dedicate as a track car, but for a first hit I'd like to give the 1.6 a blast.

Any thoughts?

Simes

Wait for Miles to pop up and tell you about his 1.6 a few years ago 'out doing' a number of so called sports cars.

Anthony

It will be plenty good enough and you'll have lots of fun even if it's not the fastest car out there :o

Depending on the track the brakes probably won't take lap after lap of abuse in standard form, but with fresh fluid and some reasonable pads they should be OK - certainly no need for big-brake upgrades or the like.

Matt205

Thanks for the advice. I'm already planning to flush the brake fluid and change to fast road pads, as I know they wont survive the track (they only just handle enthusiastic driving in the peak district). I also intend to change the rad as there is a tiny leak, which will only get worse.

Any recommendations for a good track to start off with (I'm based in Sheffield) although happy to travel as I'll probably trailer the 205 there (incase of the worst).

Other than that, is there anything I should consider.

Cameron

You'll have a laugh if you don't take it too seriously. Go there knowing it's a slow car and don't try to race the faster stuff and you'll be fine.

Bigtimmy

You shouldn't have any problems at all.

As has been said above fresh brake fluid and a set of decent pads will help massively.

Don't worry about being slow, you'll be quite surprised at how nippy the car will be. :lol:

If you don't come home with a massive smile on your face I'll eat my hat, which will be annoying for me as it's getting on to winter. :o

Where are you thinking of doing your track day?

Matt205
You shouldn't have any problems at all.

As has been said above fresh brake fluid and a set of decent pads will help massively.

Don't worry about being slow, you'll be quite surprised at how nippy the car will be. :lol:

If you don't come home with a massive smile on your face I'll eat my hat, which will be annoying for me as it's getting on to winter. :o

Where are you thinking of doing your track day?

I have done a track day previously at Mallory Pk, which was great - although approx 10 years ago. So, I'm fairly open minded to anywhere within a couple of hours drive of Sheffield. Any suggestions on track? Any suggestion on website agents to use/avoid?

Miles

Best car ever to use. Many a track day people wondered what I had done to the engine and I lost count the amount of Mi's I overtook at the time, Never been the same since with more power

Baz

As above, same here!

Just change the calipers for a set of 1.9 ones as most 1.6 ones are nackered these days, and as said the fluid and pads, and away you go.

It's not about the power, if it's in good stead it'll still be rapid enough and handle well, decent 1.6's are as quick as average 1.9's anyway!

Edited by Baz

Henry Yorke
Any recommendations for a good track to start off with (I'm based in Sheffield) although happy to travel as I'll probably trailer the 205 there (incase of the worst).

No being biased as I am organising this but have a look at this link http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=124740

It is perfect for a 1.6 as the course is better suited to the gearing than a 1.9, you'll get an understanding of how the handling works on tighter stuff and no one is going to run into the side of you. Oh and it is cheap, local, next weekend and you'll meet a few people from Sheffield and on here too and have a laugh. We have a good local network of parts and upgrade bits in peoples sheds and garages!

allanallen
No being biased as I am organising this but have a look at this link http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=124740

It is perfect for a 1.6 as the course is better suited to the gearing than a 1.9, you'll get an understanding of how the handling works on tighter stuff and no one is going to run into the side of you. Oh and it is cheap, local, next weekend and you'll meet a few people from Sheffield and on here too and have a laugh. We have a good local network of parts and upgrade bits in peoples sheds and garages!

Tis true, I took a completely standard 1600 to curbrough a couple of years back and had a right laugh.

u47sb2

As most folk have said fresh fluid and decent pads will see you ok. I'd add in reasonable track day type tyres too.

For info my stage rally car has standard discs, mintex pads, fresh (but not racing) fluid and will do a 20 minute stage with the brakes just starting to fade away. That should be the equivalent of 6-10 laps depending on the circuit which should be plenty before the driver needs a rest!

Thinking about it more before you venture out check all the coolant hoses and do a spanner check on the suspension etc. Wouldn't be good having a burst hose when the engine is on the hot side.

Baz
I'd add in reasonable track day type tyres too.

Decent brand but not worn road tyres will suffice, but if you mean R888's etc, i wouldn't on soft, standard suspension.

Bigtimmy
Decent brand but not worn road tyres will suffice, but if you mean R888's etc, i wouldn't on soft, standard suspension.

I'd have to agree

Matt205

Thanks for all the positive feedback. Sods law, we have a wedding to attend next weekend, so I'll have to look for an alternative.

Cameron

Sod fitting fancy tyres, as Baz says if you don't have the rest of the setup to make the most of it then they're a massive waste of money. Get some semi decent pre-worn road tyres on there and you'll be fine.

Rippthrough
Thanks for all the positive feedback. Sods law, we have a wedding to attend next weekend, so I'll have to look for an alternative.

Do the sensible thing and pretend you're too ill to go :D

For what it's worth, I take a 1.4 306 on trackdays, so yours would be like a rocketship at the side of it on the straights :(

jeremy
Get some semi decent pre-worn road tyres on there and you'll be fine.

Are those not called new? :o I think you meant to say part worn! Sorry I'm just wearing my anorak.

Baz

I meant almost illegal, the less tread the better.

I don't know why i put the 'not' in there before, corrected;

Decent brand but worn road tyres will suffice, but if you mean R888's etc, i wouldn't on soft, standard suspension.
Edited by Baz