• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
brumster

Another Maxi/f2000 Kit Question

brumster

So....

http://www.carstyleplus.co.uk/Peugeot_205/peugeot_205.html

Anyone any experience of this kit? Is it just a generic one, same as most of the others on the continent?

I've trawled through the old Maxi/F2000 threads but none have any specific reference to this kit.

With the new rally car at the shell prep stage, I'm in two minds as to whether to go Maxi-style or not. Now's the time to do it, of course, but I'm cautious.

+ Would be good to run larger 16/17" rims - benefits on tarmac with the larger tyres that should last longer and be more cost effective in the long run - and bigger selection too

+ Looks, obviously :lol:

But I'm concerned about the work on the suspension and the effects on handling. In order to get the proper spacing I have to options... to get the right arch-filling at the back I'm talking either spacing the rims out (shudder), ordered specific offset rims (shudder) or else putting a 309 beam on the back - probably with some combination of the previous options too, right? Is wider really going to handle any better?

Same question with the front really, although most of this is adjustable already and I can get some alternative bells for my 2-part AP discs to space out if need be (or, again, spec the rims to suit). What about increased unsprung weight?

I kinda like the fluidity to the handling at the moment - the outgoing setup is 3-way fully adjustable long travel Reigers up front, PTS lower arms, 285mm AP's and so forth, with 3-way Proflex on the back with Grp.A TB's and the standard ARB - I wouldn't want to ruin the balance and feel for a little more grip. When you factor up all the costs - body kit, fitting, suspension work on the rear, new set of rims, new set of tyres... I'm kinda in two minds to just keep it 15" and standard, and enjoy the handling I know and love - would it all be ruined? The car's competitive as it is, and I'm curious that it's a falacy that it would be any better without doing it 'properly'...

No rear coilover suggestions, please, car would need to be MSA compliant :D which makes another good point, would the body kit itself be a problem as the silhouette needs to remain identical? Is there a good reason I've never seen a Maxi-kitted 205 on UK stages?

Slowly talking myself out of this, aren't I :lol: but ooo they do look nice, don't they :lol:

205_maxi_1.jpg

welshpug

this one looks quite close -

http://www.edpphoto.com/Wugging10_car21-30...-wug10-0035.htm

http://psooc.com/album.php?albumid=200

you can get a coilover damper on the rear without a turret, speak to Colin satchell :lol:

though I'm no suspension expert, I'd rather use longer wishbones than try and alter the offset of the wheels., this is another aspect colin can assist with.

Edited by welshpug

EdCherry

Seems to me that you've already made your mind up.

Wouldn't bother personally.

Baz

They look fantastic, but i'm just not sure it'd be worth it unless done very properly, ie. the suspension done ala the KRS way as then it would yield way more benefits obviously. But, mega expensive, and is it really worth it...?

If i were to start from scratch and did want to do it that way, i'd go and buy Dave's shell saving a fair whack;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peugeot-205-gti-roll...=item35ac49f16d

brumster

Ah, good spot, yes it does look very similar doesn't it....

welshpug

I see a few every time I have been out to Belgium, they seem very capable cars with the larger wheels and proper dampers, though i'venever had the chance to get up close and see what they're running wishbone and rear beam wise.

not that they can keep up with the C2R2's most of the time :lol:

brumster

I suppose the other problem is, I kinda regularly take at least 1 front wing out every year, on average.... :lol:

Maybe I should stick with the standard shell and rims, and take pride in whooping wide-arch ass whenever I can :D

It seems the French maxi 205's have proper fabricated alloy hubs on the front and tubular wishbones, and that cross-braced rear beam setup that's quite popular over there. Hmmmmm. You're doing a good job of unconvincing me :lol: mind you, it'll just take someone to come along who actually competes in a Maxi 205 to spill the beans on what they're really like.

Thanks for the opinions peeps - keep 'em coming.

Henry Yorke

Run 405 wishbones. Chris Penrose (Pug309 on here) did on his 309 to give him more negative camber. The 309 Dimma Mix4 ran a 405 front subframe and rear axle, though the boot was heavily braced

allanallen
Run 405 wishbones. Chris Penrose (Pug309 on here) did on his 309 to give him more negative camber.

Anymore info on this h?

DRTDVL

Politecnic

MS Racing

I can't remember if it's posted here or not but there are two companies (links above) that do 2 different size options for the maxi/f2000 kits.

They are a 5cm (more of an arch extention) and 7.5cm (proper) kits.

5cm:

205groupef.jpgPEUGEOT%20205%20MC.jpg

7.5cm:

205maxicourse.jpgPEUGEOT205MAXI.jpg

Both places also do the F2000 rear wing:

aileron205_carb.jpg

Henry Yorke
Anymore info on this h?

I think he may have made a hybrid shaft from a 405 and he had made his own wishbones (as M@tt experienced at Donington!!)

Here are a few links

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...st&p=751755

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...c=65823&hl=

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...c=63765&hl=

Rippthrough
I think he may have made a hybrid shaft from a 405 and he had made his own wishbones (as M@tt experienced at Donington!!)

That sounds like an interesting tale :)

M@tt

Chris ran rose jointed modified 309 wishbones as far as i'm aware not 405 ones, but might have been 405 shafts or a hybrid combination

yeah on mk1 model the rose joint wasn't screwed into the wishbone far enough making it wear the threads so there was lots of play and the handling was very interesting!! had it sideways down craner curves several times :) !!

oh and those maxi kits looks the nuts!!! you have to run larger wheels though as 15's looks swapped in the arches and look s*ite!

Edited by M@tt

brumster

Oh part of the reason is to run bigger wheels/tyres, not really for a grip increase as such but just for better heat management and longevity on stage... and also more selection. But obviously the increase in track concerns me, as from what I've read in other threads straight widening of a car does not necessarily make it handle any better. Cameron can probably wax lyrical about the ins and outs of it, but I'd be lost in it so I'll just trust his (and others) opinions on the matter!

309PUG
Anymore info on this h?

405 D/S are a straight fit, well almost, you have to remove part of the ABS ring as it catches.

These will give you a range of -1deg to -4.5deg ish camber

Chris

welshpug

what would a 205 "maxi" be like? I'd imagine like a slightly narrower and shorter 306 maxi...

and cheaper :)

brumster

Well, I'm off to GT Panelcraft tomorrow who are prepping the shell; I shall have a chat with them about how much effort it will be, then I will sit and take stock... :) can't help but think I'm not going to bother though.... too much faff for something that, while I appreciate it will look sexy as hell, probably won't be all that much better for the outlay (cost effectiveness, I mean). We'll see. Not feeling particularly flush at the moment :D

maxirallye

Hi, I run a 205 with wide kit, made it myself - patterns, moulds etc. Testing at llandow I was 1 second a lap quicker with the maxi set-up on my car compared to jimmers car on PTS set-up running 20hp more at the time. However the car was log booked prior to the rule change, not sure the fibreglass panels will be acceptable under the new regs?

Cheers, Tony

post-11290-1287089117.jpg

brumster

Thanks Tony. I made my decision, and I've stuck with the conventional body for now. I'm going to let others (a friend) test the water with wide-track and Maxi body kit and larger wheels, and if he feels it pays off then I'll just put large extended conventional arches on mine to allow for the bigger wheels. But for now, I don't fancy being the guinea pig :D

Picked the shell up Saturday... time to start fettling!