• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
crf450

Mi16 With 8 Valve Rods

brumster

Can someone confirm something for me, which CW's post reminded me - are Constella baffles an exact pattern remake of the PTS ones? They don't look it. How many variants are out there? I know mine was sourced from Longman and I was lead to believe it's a carbon copy of the PTS design, but I know I was told there were also some nasty copies out there.... what says our learned friends?

welshpug

they list two on their site but I can't tell the differences from the pictures, only that the 8v one is about a fiver less than the Mi16 one.

Miles

From the couple I have fitted I would say they are a 99% copy, I know Longman just bought them in from PTS or another supplier as there have been good and bad copies around for years, Only Constella started making them again,

Funny things engine's, I know Dino's old Mi had the oil light on a few times and thats still going I think, And my GTi6 (Abit off topic) has done 270k now and all orginal

petert

I've run a 1 9l Mi16 hydraulic head on an iron block on the track for the past four years. It only stopped recently because it sucked up a trumpet bolt. The shells showed only the wear you'd expect from a track car. I'm currently rebuilding it with a Moroso style "kicked out" sump that I've fabricated from an early 8v A/C sump. I've also swapped to solid litters. I'm confident it will do many more laps.

Someone mentioned earlier about watching the oil presssure gauge during a corner. How do you manage that? If you've got time to watch a needle move you aren't going hard enough and will never get surge. The only way is a big idiot light set to say 30psi.

Cameron

Depends how much of your mental capacity you use up while driving. Some people will find it impossible to concentrate on driving and checking instruments at the same time as they'll already be completely maxed out, whereas others who are more experienced / comfortable could probably have a conversation, adjust the stereo and drive flat out round a track at the same time.

Think about how much F1 drivers have to check and adjust, with 10 or so cal settings on the steering wheel, brake bias adjustment between every corner and talking to the team on the radio! It's all about how comfortable you are with multi-tasking and how much of your mental capacity you use while driving. Personally, and without sounding too smug, I find it very easy to glance at the gauges mid-corner and I quite often do.

phil withers

Well, this is a new one to me, I share the Mi with Tom Fenton and we've never seen any issues albeit running with a baffled sump, I wasn't even aware there was a problem until I saw this thread ?

What are people using for baffling ?

Batfink
Depends how much of your mental capacity you use up while driving. Some people will find it impossible to concentrate on driving and checking instruments at the same time as they'll already be completely maxed out, whereas others who are more experienced / comfortable could probably have a conversation, adjust the stereo and drive flat out round a track at the same time.

Think about how much F1 drivers have to check and adjust, with 10 or so cal settings on the steering wheel, brake bias adjustment between every corner and talking to the team on the radio! It's all about how comfortable you are with multi-tasking and how much of your mental capacity you use while driving. Personally, and without sounding too smug, I find it very easy to glance at the gauges mid-corner and I quite often do.

I think its the difference between racing and trackdays.

Certainly I would never comprehend looking at gauges as I corner. You need to be focused on far more things and where your field of vision is can be key.

The straights are far more relaxed and thats where F1 drivers will be mostly chit chatting and checking data.

C_W

I would agree - it was probably me that mentioned looking at the gauge, admittedly this was partly due to expecting the pressure drop beforehand until I fully trusted it on a certain track. But it does vary person to person, some people can't deal with concentrating on driving on track and using their mirrors at the same time for example.

mfield
Personally, and without sounding too smug, I find it very easy to glance at the gauges mid-corner and I quite often do.

I think its the difference between racing and trackdays.

Got to agree with both of these statements, It isn't hard to keep an eye on the gauges when flat out but then I wouldn't be looking at them when bumper to bumper with more than one car in a race, not due to the proximity either.

Henry 1.9GTi

still going for now Miles :angry:

Iv'e had the engine surge on every dry trackday, although after recently upgrading to GTi-6 pump, chain gaurd, extended pump baffle and extending the original gti-6 sump baffle it has got alot better. ~30psi min on consecutive corners and doesn't drop on sweepers now. But yeh in general the engine has starved itself off oil alot and is still running. Just hope it can cope with the extra 30-40 ponies coming its way.

Cameron
But it does vary person to person, some people can't deal with concentrating on driving on track and using their mirrors at the same time for example.

Hell, some people can't even deal with pootling down the motorway and checking to see if their indicators / fog lights / headlamps are on! :angry:

Got to agree with both of these statements, It isn't hard to keep an eye on the gauges when flat out but then I wouldn't be looking at them when bumper to bumper with more than one car in a race, not due to the proximity either.

Yeah, I reckon I'd struggle to be able to do this.. that's when it pays to have great big warning lights. But, when you're racing you aren't worried so much about killing the engine as you don't have to drive it home afterwards. :lol:

Sign in to follow this