• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
weejp

Driving Lights Metal Surrounds

weejp

howdy

noticed a touch of tin worm around my driving lights. i was going to rub them down apply some kurust and whack on hammerite rust paint.

question is can you get new replacements anywhere..?

post-12725-1286707748_thumb.jpg

welshpug

6212 35 HEADLIGHT CAP 7.03 GBP

:)

weejp

;)

Thanks, good to know you can get them. My edinburgh Pug dealer is worse than hopeless so I'll get the standard, "we can't get many parts for cars that old" it really pi$$es me off. Plus £7.03 bit steep for flimsy pieces of rust... -_-

Will go for the cheap option of my time and my lack of skill to achieve a solution - might also pack them with copper grease on the inside.

Henry Yorke

I have bought Denji ones in the past and the first thing I do is protect the frame and change the screws to ones which won't dissolve

GLPoomobile

It amazes me that with the amount of custom made parts available for the 205, that some enterprising chap has not yet produced some moulded plastic equivilants of these :)

weejp

well, I've been having a go at these between keeping a 3 year old amused, cooking and 'going to the park' - so it's not likely to be a stupendous refurb but hope the surrounds will be presentable enough (visually they looked OK anyway) and sans rust.

after a quick rub down

post-12725-1286729463_thumb.jpg

treated with kurust

post-12725-1286729540_thumb.jpg

Apologies for the horrific photo quality, it's my 3year old's toy camera.... :lol:

Instructions state that top coat should be applied in 3 hours, so i'll get to that when the youngster is tucked up for the night, if I'm lucky

CaptainP

I hate to think how many sets of these I've rubbed down and sprayed, worth doing though and should prolong their life a bit longer :lol:

weejp
I hate to think how many sets of these I've rubbed down and sprayed, worth doing though and should prolong their life a bit longer :D

Yeah totally agree. This is the second time on this set and like you say 'worth doing', I think it helps keep the rot away from the actual driving lamps which are a real expense to replace these days should they get 'attacked with rust'

Still to finish the 'top coat' but they should be good for another 6-12 months :)

stutto

Can anyone tell me the screw size? I'd like to change mine for SS before I can't.....

JRL

I have been meaning to do this to mine for years rather than letting them rot completely like other sets of light I have been through over the years. I have some yellow denjis on my car at the moment from new 2 years ago I waxoyld them and have lasted a bit longer but have slight rust on them I reckon if I hadnt they would be a pile of rust. Rusty surrounds really do look nasty you could buy them new but theyd rust as soon as you put them on without treating.

I have a spare new set of siem driving lights Kept them in the oem packaging and they have started to rust even in dry storage! they have no chance in winter with road salt.

Ultra protection they better not rust after this:

So today I prepared the surrounds by paint stripping them to bare metal using Nitromors, then sanded them down using a dremel. Then I applied Kurust, after 30 mins I then degreased and washed them down with wire wool ready for 3 coats of Primer. I used hammerite rust beater and one coat of zinc primer. Then I gave it a few coats of black spray paint and left it to dry in the airing cupboard. Im going to use dinitrol stonechip (the stuff that sprays on evenly and you can paint over it) for final protection. As for the screws I got a pack from halfords matched them up to my old ones that had churned up when removing them. the new ones are s/s non-rusting to make sure the threads stay in-tact I put a thin coat of clear nail varnish on.

weejp

JRL - good grief that's certainly a load of work, treatment and protection going on there. Surely that'll do the trick eh?!!?

I thought my methods were sufficient, maybe I'll pop on some more paint and lacquer to try and keep them from the tin worm attack, I fear regardless of all this it'll probably be back sooner or later.

Before re-fitting tonight I'm going to pack the inside of the surrounds with copper grease too.

GLPoomobile
Before re-fitting tonight I'm going to pack the inside of the surrounds with copper grease too.

Why? :angry:

weejp
Why? :angry:

Would something like that or grease not keep the corrosion at bay, like a protective skin. Just a thought - will it not be any use?

muddatrucker

My surrounds have been rusty since I got the car, this thread (and unemployment) made me go outside and attempt to detach them to give them a cleaning up, looks like I was too late!

img1000f.jpg

weejp
My surrounds have been rusty since I got the car, this thread (and unemployment) made me go outside and attempt to detach them to give them a cleaning up, looks like I was too late!

img1000f.jpg

Can't see your pic, but I can imagine. Has the rust got to the actual lamps yet, cos they're the expensive bit.

JRL

wax-oyl helped so i imagine grease would help, anything that stops oxygen getting to the metal. I have seen 40 year old fiats their panels filled with even Vaseline and it had worked!

Muddatrucker those surrounds will be fine with a bit of filler lol

GLPoomobile

I'd agree that some sort of grease may help, but not sure about copper grease :angry: Just thinking about metals reacting with each other, but that concern could be entirely unfounded.

muddatrucker
Can't see your pic, but I can imagine. Has the rust got to the actual lamps yet, cos they're the expensive bit.

Other than the actual lens being a bit stained around the rim they look alright, I'll buy some new surrounds when I can warrant spending £16+ on a bit of metal!

Stevo309
I have been meaning to do this to mine for years rather than letting them rot completely like other sets of light I have been through over the years. I have some yellow denjis on my car at the moment from new 2 years ago I waxoyld them and have lasted a bit longer but have slight rust on them I reckon if I hadnt they would be a pile of rust. Rusty surrounds really do look nasty you could buy them new but theyd rust as soon as you put them on without treating.

I have a spare new set of siem driving lights Kept them in the oem packaging and they have started to rust even in dry storage! they have no chance in winter with road salt.

Ultra protection they better not rust after this:

So today I prepared the surrounds by paint stripping them to bare metal using Nitromors, then sanded them down using a dremel. Then I applied Kurust, after 30 mins I then degreased and washed them down with wire wool ready for 3 coats of Primer. I used hammerite rust beater and one coat of zinc primer. Then I gave it a few coats of black spray paint and left it to dry in the airing cupboard. Im going to use dinitrol stonechip (the stuff that sprays on evenly and you can paint over it) for final protection. As for the screws I got a pack from halfords matched them up to my old ones that had churned up when removing them. the new ones are s/s non-rusting to make sure the threads stay in-tact I put a thin coat of clear nail varnish on.

Good work! I can't see the rust getting through that lot! You never know though.

As said already it's surprising nobody has come up with plastic ones, if you sealed up the casing with silicon and then had plastic surrounds it should be "fit and forget" i would hope.

I have Denji ones and so far they seem ok but i haven't gone through a winter yet, i did change the screws though from the start.

JRL

Muddatrucker I feel sorry for your fog light surrounds if i come across a set il post them out to u.

Surely someone can do a plastic moulding somewhere.

muddatrucker

Does anyone know the part number for these metal surrounds, I might aswell replace mine whilst I can, if not I'll buy some new ones.

Henry Yorke

Does anyone know the part number for these metal surrounds, I might aswell replace mine whilst I can, if not I'll buy some new ones.

Muddatrucker meet Welshpug....!

JRL

Mine are covered in roads salt at present but thankfully all that sanding down and priming has kept rust at bay so muddatrucker dont forget to put some protection on the new ones.