• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Brian M

309 To Gti-6 Loom Help Please.

Brian M

First of all I have been through this thread and found it to be VERY helpful! :D

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...t=0&start=0

The second helpful thread was this one because there is 3 or 4 wires without any numbers on my 309 loom! :(

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...t=0&start=0

Here is my 309 loom.

9pin

02102010445.jpg

and 8pin

02102010444.jpg

From the 309>mi16 thread we can verify that:

"in my brown plug so-far i have:

1 nowt

2 fuel pump

3 earth (?)

4 rpm meter

5 nowt

6 a red wire which leads to the starter

7 nowt

8 nowt

the 9 pin brown plug has 9 wires

1 reverse

2 reverse

3 coolant

4 coolant meter

5 alternator

6 oil pressure

7 oil temp

8 oil pressure light

9 switched positive to coil"

1. First of all it the reverse wiring. I'm not really sure which is which? I have the orange 220 reverse on gti-6 loom heading for orange un-numbered pin 1 and grey c120 going to an un-numbered white on pin 2.

2. Ii can't fathom out what i'm doing with pin 9. where does it go in the gti-6 loom. I don't think i have it right here at all? or do i? what's throwing me is "yellow/green m444 permanent earth > m ignition amp permanent earth" It's not making sense in my head whether it just goes to perm earth or whether this means permanent earth (ie pin 3 on 8pin loom) AND/OR to pin 9.

3. If you spot anything queer on this diagram please let me know :D

309togti6.jpg

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Edited by Brian M

Anthony

I think you've got the starter and ignition live wires muddled up - thick blue is starter (wire 46) and thick red is ignition live (wire 2)

309 wiring is very similar to Phase 2 205 GTi wiring, just one of the plugs has a different housing (has the same wires inside though)

Brian M
I think you've got the starter and ignition live wires muddled up - thick blue is starter (wire 46) and thick red is ignition live (wire 2)

309 wiring is very similar to Phase 2 205 GTi wiring, just one of the plugs has a different housing (has the same wires inside though)

Just double checked and yes i think they are the wrong way round. I was referring to that 309> mi-16 loom again and going solely on that. oops!

I may have sussed out the reverse situation then if you suggest that everything else is the same. That would mean that the purple one on this picture = the white pin 2 on my loom, which means i have 1 and 2 on the 9 pin loom the wrong way round!

DSC02615.jpg

Thanks Anthony. I just needed a second opinion or 3 i suppose! Just need to wait on the solder iron to arrive then :(

Miles

As said some of the numbers are different and the location of all the plugs are different too but the location in the plugs are the same on the 9 way which would make it a pain to thread thru to the other side to hook the 6 loom into

Brian M

I think the worst bit for me was looking at the brown 9 pin connector and seeing that 4 out of 9 had numbers on them! I feel i know where everything needs to go now though :( Just need to wait on the arrival of my solder iron, heat shrink, locate some solder locally and then buy some cable tidy and plenty of insulation tape. I also want to clean up the gti-6 connectors themselves to make them a little more presentable!

Edited by Brian M

Miles

You can take loads of wire out of the 6 loom too.

But it's always been beyond me why Pug would change the loom so much on the last 309's when production was coming to an end and as we know it no where near as popular as the 205 which never had these mods, even the Motronic loom use's the same 2 plug's under the dash.

The Late 309 engine loom is far better thou

Brian M
You can take loads of wire out of the 6 loom too.

Good suggestion, thanks. This did cross my mind after i seen that the 13pin connector isn't used at all so all of that can be fished out/removed. Then there's the 5 or 6 wires that aren't used from the 19 pin connector too. It'll be more faffing about but i'm sure that it will make for a much neater loom and would be make sense to do this as it'll be much easier to install as a result. Might save a cheeky 1kg in weight too! :(