• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shed_racing

Yet Another Non-starter

shed_racing

Afternoon all - just nipped out to attempt to go and buy some oil, and the bugger won't start; turns over wonderfully, fuel pump is busy whirring away but not firing.

It did this to me last night on the way home, and a bit of taking the plu leads out, spraying in some carb cleaner (all I had in the car) and slamming the bonnet in a childish temper and it started.

Got home, took off the dizzy cap and cleaned it, together with the rotor arm, also cleaned. took the leads off of the coil, cleaned up the contacts, put everything back together and it loved it, started it 3 or 4 times, and all was good.

Started good as gold this morning, then lunchtime, nothing. :rolleyes:

May sound obvious, but how can I check for spark whilst turning it over ? do you need two people ? (Take a plug lead off and earth it to the block, but my arms aren't long enough to turn the key at the same time !)

If no spark, am I looking at a new coil maybe ?

It's an XU5JA 1.6 on a 1990 plate (Ph 1.5 ?)

Thanks chaps - might be a long walk home this evening otherwise . . . <_<

bensonmi

does it have an alarm/ immobiliser?? every time iv had problems like that the immobiliser has been to blame, could be worth checking.

happygoron

Had dodgy HT lead contacts before causing this.

Easiest way to check that the spark plugs are getting a signal alone is to buy an in line spark tester, should be able to see it while turning the key, and they are pretty cheap.

shed_racing
does it have an alarm/ immobiliser?? every time iv had problems like that the immobiliser has been to blame, could be worth checking.

Nope - no alarm or immobiliser (not counting the non-starter as an anti-theft device . . . )

shed_racing

New bougicor leads about a year ago, together with a new dizzy cap and rotor (gen. pug replacements); arma and a leg !

Anthony

If you remove one of the spark plugs and rest it on the rocker cover, you can normally see it sparking (or not as the case may be) whilst cranking it over by looking between the bonnet and scuttle panel. You can normally get a reasonable idea without even openning the bonnet by looking at the rev counter - if the ignition amp is getting a signal and trying to fire the coil, the rev counter will flutter ever so slightly whilst cranking.

For what it's worth, whenever I've had these random non-start issues in the past on 8v's, it's almost always been the timing lead that comes off the dizzy and connects to the engine loom with a 3 pin plug. Corrosion and damp in that plug plays havoc with what is a very weak signal.

Carbs4me

Ignition amp?

You will definitly need 2 people probly best to have a machanic you know to be there.. as it may be sparking but it maybe a weak one.

Dunno if this will happen to yours but just before my ignition amp went, my horn died like a day before and acouple days before that happened i was experiencing starting problems similar to yours, but mine just spring back into life after trying to bump it afew times.. wouldnt bump start but somehow it got it sparking and would start on the motor. and even if it does bump keep your foot down and see if it will rev ok from anywhere under 4krev's if its the ignition amp it will bog out anywhere under 4k or just cut out with your footdown.

Sometimes when the ignition amp get hot it will stop working, so it might be ok when you get back out of work! <_< providing its cooled down :rolleyes:

shed_racing

thanks gents - will try the 3-pin this evening, as I can do that with my bare hands; if that doesn't cure it, I'll go home and come back with tools to try the plugs.

Appreciate the assistance !

shed_racing
thanks gents - will try the 3-pin this evening, as I can do that with my bare hands; if that doesn't cure it, I'll go home and come back with tools to try the plugs.

Appreciate the assistance !

Pure genius - cleaned up the three pin plug from the dizzy and click vrooooom. <_<:D

Thanks for the replies, all - mental not to self : clean properly when I get it home ! :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this