• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jackman

Lightening Body Panels.

Jackman

Is this worth doing?

When i was up Colins i seen the door skins and bits removed in a car up there, now I've got Polycarb windows i see now need for the skins and wana lose some more KG's!

I'm sure I read somewhere about lightening a standard boot aswell rather than buy a fibreglass one, is this possible or am i better off buy a fibreglass boot and putting my polycarb into that?

Thanks!

Tom Fenton

To build a light car no component no matter what it is can go un modified. There is weight to be saved from practically everything.

The motto of Carl who I drag race the Minis with, "never knowingly use standard parts".

brumster

The boot is pretty easy to do. I chop out the majority of the inner panel, although I do leave a small strip in the middle just to brace it a little from top to bottom, where the striker/lock is. If you replace the glass for poly, coupled with chopping it all out, you can then use just one of the gas rams to hold it up, so further weight saving.

Doors - again, the bulk of the inner panel can be removed but I like to keep a few inches of the edge to keep some strength in the door and not turn it into a flimsy piece of tin.

There's probably a bit to be had from the inner quarter panels at the rear by "holing" them, but otherwise I don't bother trimming much else off the inner panels of mine. Boot lid is an easy one worth doing though, IMHO.

swordfish210

Here are my doors:

DSC00303.jpg

DSC00311.jpg

And here's my bootlid:

DSC00304.jpg

The doors are really flimsy but they're pretty light, the bootlid is also light enough to be held up by a single boot strut.

Jackman

Cheers guys!

Thanks for the pictures, thats what i had in mind !

I will get on it!

Cameron
Here are my doors:

DSC00303.jpg

Been meaning to do that to mine for ages.. any idea how much they weigh?

swordfish210
Been meaning to do that to mine for ages.. any idea how much they weigh?

Didn't weight them but i would guess at less than feck all, they are seriously light. I just need to get some black glass and make some door cards for them.

Jackman

Is it literally just a case of attacking them with a angle grinder and tidying up sharp edges accordingly?

Jackman

Sounds like fun!

tri_longer

Definitely worth the effort, i bought a pair of doors of Baz that had teh internals removed and poly windows and the difference is very noticeable.

Worth looking at swapping the wing mirrors as they weigh in quite heavy as well.

skinner2k3

I did what Swordfish has done to my passenger door and wished I had left just a inch or so more metal in as cutting there took out the spot welds and resulted in a seriously flimsy door, which I didnt like. I have since replaced the door and when I do it again will not get quite so carried away.

Another thing I learnt is that it isnt easy to make a tidy job of the corners with an angle grinder so might be worth drilling them first and cutting to them.

Edited by skinner2k3

Cameron

Depends how good you are with an angle grinder. :angry:

skinner2k3

Fair point :angry:

swordfish210
Worth looking at swapping the wing mirrors as they weigh in quite heavy as well.

Second that, here is my long term mirror solution:

DSC004642.jpg

DSC00477.jpg

tri_longer
Second that, here is my long term mirror solution:

Exactly what i'll be doing, thanks for the pics.

Dj_mini

The real weight in the door is where the hinges bolt to but if you do this the doors do tend to flap about at 100mph+ :D

swordfish210
Exactly what i'll be doing, thanks for the pics.

If i still had the moulds i could have made you some of the carbon plates i used but i think they got binned when i moved garages :D

Jackman

Is there a trick to getting the bonded parts off the inside of the boot?

swordfish210

Heatgun

Jackman

Cheers mate! I'll pinch one from work!

I'm left with this atm!

9d6dede9.jpg