• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mojo1997

Ph Topic/story On A Driver That Got Sent To Prison

GLPoomobile

J, you've really rekindled my interest in doing an advanced driving course now :lol: Something I've thought of many times over the years and never got around to it. Probably far better money spent than spending a few hundred quid on one of those driver experience days.

Plus, probably helps with insurance premiums too ;)

kyepan
J, you've really rekindled my interest in doing an advanced driving course now :lol: Something I've thought of many times over the years and never got around to it. Probably far better money spent than spending a few hundred quid on one of those driver experience days.

Plus, probably helps with insurance premiums too ;)

yes it is better than those days that teach you to control your car on or beyond the limit... because to be quite honest when it comes to the crunch, you're either going to react correctly or not.

It can affect insurance.

These were the guys i went with.

http://www.ridedrive.co.uk/

check out the clubs that endorse it.

Cheers

J

Miles

I have to disagree there, 'the best drivers on the roads are the police patrol drivers', Having done driver training both on Road and track they just get taught to a standard and like all of us some are better than other's but far from the best, I've seen them think/say this on the Police TV shows as well which always makes my laugh, wrong attatude really as we can all improve our skill's

kyepan
I have to disagree there, 'the best drivers on the roads are the police patrol drivers', Having done driver training both on Road and track they just get taught to a standard and like all of us some are better than other's but far from the best, I've seen them think/say this on the Police TV shows as well which always makes my laugh, wrong attatude really as we can all improve our skill's

Bearing in mind i'm not talking about car control.

Anthony
yes it is better than those days that teach you to control your car on or beyond the limit... because to be quite honest when it comes to the crunch, you're either going to react correctly or not

Surely "in conjunction with" rather than the implied "instead of" something involving on the limit car control would be better?

As I understand it, the IAM type instruction that you're talking about is primarily about driving defensively, learning to read the road and other drivers better, and generally try to avoid getting into the situation where you're having to take evasive action or recovering control of a car. This is course is excellent, but no matter how defensively you drive and how much you read the road ahead, there will be times where you need to act instinctively to catch a slide, recover from a skid, or brake and take evasive action (in a non-ABS car particularly)

Certainly I've seen and there has been stories of numerous accidents that would have been so easily avoided had the driver instinctly known what to, rather than just panicing and either doing nothing or just standing on the brake pedal. In my opinion, the only way to learn this so that it is an instinctive reaction is to have experienced and practiced it, preferably in a controlled environment like a skid pan or airfield environment - although I was too poor/tight for this in my youth, so deserted roundabouts at night sufficed, with plenty of unintentional practice through the years driving cars shod with truely woeful tyres (Darkhorse, Runway, Fate-O, and Stunner's being some of the highlights) ;)

After all, going back to the subject of this thread, had the Integra driver not overcooked the corner and spun, the chances are that there would have been no accident, no jailtime, and a biker that made it to his destination uninjured.

Better to avoid being in a potential accident situation all together I agree, but knowing how to instinctly react if you're in one is, IMO, invalueable.

Cameron

I learnt my car control the hard way: driving a 205 on Toyo Proxes in the wet. NEVER AGAIN! ;)

kyepan

in summary to your post anthony, yes, it's also about instinctive car control, when the unexpected happens. And yes, had he not overcooked it, the result would not have happened.

I was more trying to point out that an imbalance between car control and defensive driving is more the problem amongst enthusiastic drivers. They can drive the car fast and in control, but are not being as calculating with their higher level decision making, of when to do what and how.

Ps i;m tempted to put some dark horses on the pug for winter... and see what happens..

Anthony
Ps i;m tempted to put some dark horses on the pug for winter... and see what happens..

Seedless grapes was it? ;)

(I can't help with the supply of Darkhorse's I'm afraid, but I do have a pair of "Power Racers" on a pair of Speedlines if you wish to die crash sample the delights of hospital cuisine rid the 205 of any hint of understeer by fitting them to the rear :lol: )

Batfink

I think fast road and track driving are two separate skills and share little in technique and both are a useful skill to learn. One is more car control, the other more on observing what is around you. I am lucky that I have known a few fully trained traffic officers and their techniques are great for staying out of trouble and making progress on busy roads. My racing helps me more instinctively when I get into trouble (Which is virtually never on the road), but I do use race techniques like trail braking, left foot braking and heel and toe which an officer may frown upon as i sometimes reach the limits of traction in my s*itty van when I should be in a comfort zone.

Edited by Batfink

lemmingzappa
but I do have a pair of "Power Racers"

The names crease me up :) :)