• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205*31*

1.9 Cutting Out And Misfiring

205*31*

Well as you all have seen on previous threads I did a complete 1.9 injectors, ecu and afm swap yesterday everything went fine started it up fired straight away sounded ok.

Today I did the gearbox group n mount everything went ok put it all back together, in process I decided to put the earthing wire on correct part of the gearbox as it was mounted on cam cover <_< did this fine.

Started it up fired great went to start and was moving in first gear and car attempted to cut out :huh: carried on stopped had a look under bonnet couldn't see anything un towards put it in reverse moves of and it cuts out again now everytime I put it in reserve and move it attempts to cut out :D I hear a click when it does it from towards fuse box doesn't seem to do it in a forward gear just reverse?

whats happened?

Edited by jackherer
title edited

205*31*

something even more funky going of now!!!

went to have a look as other day when I connected the reverse light switch up to gearbox I went to have a look at passenger side rear light so I just gone to check no wires were shorting or anything looked ok. Went back to 205 went to fire it up it fired and then cut out straight away and after I had no power at all it appears to have drained battery if I go disconnect negative and reconnect it I get power again and straight away I fire it it cuts out and same again no power.

<_<:huh:

M@tt

Going in reverse will cause the engine to move forward slightly so check all you wires and see if any are tight as it is likely the engine movement is pulling on it and disconnecting it slightly as the engine rocks in that direction

205*31*
Going in reverse will cause the engine to move forward slightly so check all you wires and see if any are tight as it is likely the engine movement is pulling on it and disconnecting it slightly as the engine rocks in that direction

Well it looks like I figured part the problem starting wise there is a white wire on ignition amp underneath, Tom Fenton pointed this out to me when he serviced my car as it wouldn't start on him, I have pushed the wire back in starting now but when I move in reverse its still constantly clicking and battery light on dash keeps flicking on and then just cuts out ;)

Can't see any tight wires matt had a look.

205*31*

could it be a dodgy 1.9 ecu?

M@tt
could it be a dodgy 1.9 ecu?

I'd say highly unlikely

its going to be wiring/connection related i'd put money on it

Simes

Retrace your steps - sounds like a dodgy wire.

205*31*

Well I got nothing now no power dead as a dodo ;) but I think I may have fried a black box under dash so might be that also I had this black box screwed up against ecu as before it was just left dangling under dash maybe that was causing this like short issue, I tried disconnecting the connection from this box and instead the casing came of and afew sparks flew B) can't get any power at all now from disconnecting negative and putting it back?

post-15249-1284738711_thumb.jpg

205*31*
Retrace your steps - sounds like a dodgy wire.

I haven't really got any steps to retrace mate all I did wiring wise yesterday was resolder the ecu temp sensor and just temporary wired the reverse light switch up didn't solder that just joined wires temp as my solder is s*it.

The problem described doesn't sound like ecu temp to me.

205*31*

could it be battery itself that I have somehow killed ;)

205*31*

I have checked the battery and there is over 12v through battery so thats fine but I have no dash or anything when ignition is on ;)

205*31*

doing some search on here I gather that black box is the tachometric relay?

could that have been causing my original issue revs dropping hard then cutting out sometimes not if i blip throttle.

205*31*

any help asap really appreciated need the car for work on Sunday otherwise busing it and dont wanna do that ;) hehe

Simes
I haven't really got any steps to retrace mate all I did wiring wise yesterday was resolder the ecu temp sensor and just temporary wired the reverse light switch up didn't solder that just joined wires temp as my solder is s*it.

The problem described doesn't sound like ecu temp to me.

Basically undo anything you did yesterday or when it last worked.

Yes the tachymetric relay is useful and the engine won't start unless that is working and could be the cause as it will cut power to the fuel pump.

Edited by Simes

205*31*
Basically undo anything you did yesterday or when it last worked.

Yes the tachymetric relay is useful and the engine won't start unless that is working and could be the cause as it will cut power to the fuel pump.

Well I have just pushed it from front round my drive way on back not far thankfully ;)

Its odd its as if something is draining the battery when its connected if I disconnect neg on battery the long I leave it the better, I can get in car get all power and it fires straight away then just dies and then I have lost power again all the dash is dead as if battery has been totally drained but I tested battery earlier and it was still getting over 12v to it?

I unplugged the reserve light switch from yesterday and made sure I taped up the lose wires in case these were shorting on body and there is the ecu temp sensor.

205*31*

anyone got a spare tacho i can borrow to try?

cheers.

205*31*

OMG I sorted it can't believe what it was looks m@tt and simes had it sussed ;) there was a lose connection under shunt box!! I have a picture its got 2 thick brown wires this was disconnected plugged it in and everything back to normal no battery light cutting when in reverse!

Can anyone explain what this connection does as I cannot work out how this one connection has caused so much hassle is it an earthing or something??

see pic circled thats it! so if anyone has a similar problem have a look there! can't understand how its come lose so easy must have been today when fitting gearbox mount.

On another note I need to mount that shunt box somewhere can anyone give me some ideas where they have relocated shunt box as mine is just dangling B)

Glad I didn't buy a tachometer relay on spure of moment! :o

post-15249-1284749304_thumb.jpg

Edited by 205*31*

welshpug

main power feed to the car IIRC.

the other single brown is the feed to the tachymetric relay ecu etc.

205*31*
main power feed to the car IIRC.

the other single brown is the feed to the tachymetric relay ecu etc.

Interesting... so how come It drove so long without it connected then basically gotten worse and worse must have still been getting a current from somewhere?

Simes
Interesting... so how come It drove so long without it connected then basically gotten worse and worse must have still been getting a current from somewhere?

Unless you car has some crazy wiring, you probably knocked it out fumbling around with the reverse light switch. This is because the battery V+ , apart from to the starter motor, goes direct to the shunt box and then distributes it to other places....rad fan for example.

welshpug

might have been loose then eventually fell off?

205*31*
might have been loose then eventually fell off?

possible might explain the constant cutting out and battery light flickering sempt to be getting worse.

205*31*

as a mod edited my title?? :) I can't remember typing 1.9 cutting out and misfiring ;)

I had some drinks last night so hope I am not losing my mind :lol:

jackherer

I edited the title, I didn't think 'Help' was very descriptive...

I also moved it to the right subforum.

205*31*
I edited the title, I didn't think 'Help' was very descriptive...

I also moved it to the right subforum.

ok jack cheers for letting me know :lol:

Sign in to follow this