• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allanallen

106 Xsi Engine Rebuild

allanallen

Hi, this is a question I've asked over on the 106 rallye forum copy and pasted. Thought I'd ask on here aswell as there seems to be some knowledgeable tu fans lurking about.

Evening all, my 1600 xsi has gained an unhealthy taste for drinking oil and smoking. I would think it's a combination of worn bores and knackered valve stem seals. I'd ideally like to rebuild it and I think the easiest way will be to re-block it.

I've read loads of topics about using complete vtr bottom ends but what I'd like to do is fit the xsi pistons and rods into a low milage vtr block/crank along with new rings and bearings.Is there any reason why this won't work?

I also have available a 1300 rallye head + cam, would there be any advantage of fitting this at the same time or just stick with the xsi head/cam(which I believe is more or less the same?).

Cheers,Allan

welshpug

head and cam from the xsi to the rallye are the same/close enough not to make any noticeable difference.

best bet is to pull it apart first to see what state it all is in.

allanallen
head and cam from the xsi to the rallye are the same/close enough not to make any noticeable difference.

best bet is to pull it apart first to see what state it all is in.

Thought that may be the case with the head/cam, am I right in thinking the rallye head just has slightly larger ports?

I don't have high hopes for the current engine, I've replaced quite a few head gaskets on iron block tu engines and all have shown some bore wear, even the 'looked after' ones which mine certainly isn't!

RossD

The heads for the rallye and XSI share the same part number (For the 1600's at least) so they'll be identical. Cams, pistons etc, all the same. I think the only difference was the ECU!

calvinhorse

he means the 1.3 rallye <_<

gtmotorsport

Firstly pull apart your engine and see what you have, there is every chance your pistons are had it as well. Don't for get they wear as does your little end, something some seem to forget.

RossD
he means the 1.3 rallye :D

I know. Same head\cam as the 1600 :)