• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Turbo

Un-painting Carbon Fibre

Rob Turbo

I have a kawasaki zx9r with a carbon fibre hugger, but someone's painted it, not very well either! The finish isn't too bad but they painted straight over stickers and it makes it look cheap!

I'd rather you could still see the carbon fibre, but how should I go about it? Rub it down or use a paint stripper? I obviously don't want to damage it!

On the other hand, I don't know if it was painted to hide damage, if I do find it's damaged, at least I can remove the stickers and re paint it properly!

hcmini1989
I have a kawasaki zx9r with a carbon fibre hugger, but someone's painted it, not very well either! The finish isn't too bad but they painted straight over stickers and it makes it look cheap!

I'd rather you could still see the carbon fibre, but how should I go about it? Rub it down or use a paint stripper? I obviously don't want to damage it!

On the other hand, I don't know if it was painted to hide damage, if I do find it's damaged, at least I can remove the stickers and re paint it properly!

Paint thinners and rag mate and rub it .Im not sure how it will react with the carbon though could make it fall to bits so just do a tester on a corner or something

Failing that rubbing compound and a rag and start rubbing or use a buffer it`ll take the paint off gently but takes a while

Rippthrough

Thinners should do it so long as you don't use one containing acetone, which'll soften/damage the epoxy in the carbon.