• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
peter

2.0 Turbo Boiling

peter

Just got my 2.0 8v turbo back together after painting the engine bay and fitting a big alloy radiator intercooler and different turbo.

However unfortunatly for some reason the header tank is now filling up with water pressurising the system but only when the engine gets hot. It also seems to somehow empty the head and top rad hose into the header tank! :lol:

The oil and water do not mix at all, No i havent checked the compression or done a leakdown test but It still pulls very well so i dont think its the head gasket.

I think it may be due to the pluming

Ive had a look at the coolant diagrams people have drawn up for these and it looks similar but mine doesnt have a heater matrix so not too sure how to route the pipe from the side of the thermostat, as the distribution block (at the back of the block) only has one inlet which is routed to the headertank.

Any ideas sorry for the long post but it always helps to explain fully when trying to diagnose over the net!

Thanks!!

Richie-Van-GTi

Fit a T piece in the pipe from the header to tank to water distibution block and fit a pipe here to the side of the head where it should of gone to the heater matrix. That way until it warms and opens the thermostat the water can circulate still. At moment it wont so the thermostat wont be operating properly and is causing your issue. :lol:

Miles

Just blank the 2 heater pipes off, no need to re-route them or anything as the water will flow thru the engine, then keep the remaining hoses as per any 205 GTi not forgetting the stat top to header tank pipe which most don;t fit

peter

Richie, what you say seems logical! However i checked the thermostat yesterday only to find there isnt one in there! So im assuming its had a problem before in the 406 and is probably the head gasket!

Miles, There is no stat top to header tank pipe on my engine there is only the small outlet at the side of the thermostat that i did have routed to the header tank and it was pressurising this way. However that pipe on a 406 would go to the heater matrix on a 406 and there is no other outlets. Obviousy if i blocked this off no water would flow at all until the thermostat opens.

Headgasket failure is looking like the problem!

Actualy ther is one more pipe for the watr feed to the turbo, where should that come from? as that is next to the thermostat.

peter

Replaced the head gasket today and it does exactly the same...

Any ideas?

peter

Has anyone got any pictures of ther water pipe setup?

I will upload some of mine, so you can see what you think.

peter

Just incase anyone else has this problem and none could figure it out.

It was the water pump! the plastic impelor had come undone from the shaft. So a easy fix 30mins later and its sorted!!!

jackherer

I had the same problem with my mates Alfa V6, I was going to post something in this thread when I read it but I didn't as I didn't think any Peugeot engines had plastic impellers. I'm not happy to find out either, its a stupid way to make a water pump.

Miles

The metal ones do the same, Had it on my old MI in the 309, it went back to the 30's in design terms where waterpumps where not used and themo syphoning did the trick

peter

ive never been so happy to see a nackerd water pump! :mellow: if it was a metal one, weld it on?

samc

good thing about plastic pumps is the impellar just falls off or breaks, whatever, where as a metal 1 can seize.... goodbye timing belt and goodbye valves

Sign in to follow this