• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mannings

[engine_work] Project Pugwash - 2.0l Turbo Conversion 205 Gti

mannings

Yeah ok and dont forgot the pictures! ;)

Here you go mate, see header tank set up. As you can see I need to blank off the top right hand output

post-15295-0-61958500-1326658223_thumb.jpg

I have also taken picture of entry and return to the heater matrix and the interface with the thermostat housing

post-15295-0-11244900-1326658570_thumb.jpg

post-15295-0-88215300-1326658343_thumb.jpg

Hope these help, however would like to submit a disclaimer that I dont yet know if this set up will work 100% because as yet I have not fired up car, due to wiring being incomplete. Anyway hope it helps all the same

• Like 1

mannings

As car may soon be moved (by its own steam or trailer!!) I decided to sort the Auto Bonnet out today, also building the loom until 11 last night my head had had enough of wiring for one weekend

The Auto Bonnet we have was gold (Hmmm, nice) and paint was extremely cracked with quite a few dents. Started out rubbing back bonnet, cleaning undeside and preparing for the filling.

Decided I like mechanical and electrical over body work. Such a lot of effort and in the end will need to redo as my preperation was not good enough and certian scratches and dents can still be seen.Also the garage had too much dust and this is now integrated in the paint, clearly a better cleaner environment is required to get any sort of decent finish.

post-15295-0-63233400-1326659391_thumb.jpg

post-15295-0-71164800-1326659441_thumb.jpg

post-15295-0-88853000-1326659467_thumb.jpg

However this is not too bad as plan is to vinyl wrap with 3D Carbon Fibre so until we get the money and time to do this the black will have to do.

Good learning experience and from looking at the black know the Matt Vinyl will look really good.

dave205

My hoses are basically the same but instead of blanking the right hand side of the header off, i've just tee'd that into the other header pipe, either way cant see it makes any odds??

That vinyl wrap should look really good, as you say saves all that sanding!!

mannings

Has been a while since did an update so here goes.

Have fitted from new brake lines as the old ones were very corroded. Started on the wiring now to see if can get the beast started.

For the wiring I have reviewed many threads on this forum and poured over different diagrams and info I could find. Initially I started with a guide from Daviewonder and this helped but found that analysing the diagram against the 406 engine and main loom was the best way forwards. I am just about to build a support loom for the engine from the donor car loom and interface this as required to the 205 wiring. From the diagram I reckon this should include the maxi fuse box, fuse box, bridge block, inertia sensor, vehicle speed interface module, diagnostic connectors, purge canister, coded keypad & the blue and brown connectors which interface with the engine loom. And with links to 205 as required.

I have a few questions though which would appreciate some help on:

1. The inertia sensor is on the 406 loom and could use in the support loom as I call it, but would it be better to use the 205 inertia switch with I believe I have found in the nearside wing by the horn, any suggestions?

2. Is it OK to leave the Purge Canister off as I don't have room, or could I leave the soleniod attached so that it doesn't mess up anything?

3. Do I need to Vehicle Speed Interface Module? I assume not as this look like signals go into the instrument panel which of course is different on the 205.

4. I don't seem to have an oxygen sensor anywhere at all, I have found the connector but no wiring or sensor, has anyone got one for a 406 turbo lump or where I can get one

5. Also I have a sensor that I can't work out what it is. It has a hex head with connector attached and looks like copper approx 150mm in length. It has a 10mm diameter with a silver plunger in the tip that pushes down. It looks like it had an oily past so thinking engine or gearbox related and is located just off from the ignition applifier module but have no clue what it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

6. I have worked out the wiring for the radiator temp sensor and rad fan, can I use this as is in 205 or do I need to interface this to the 406 ECU somehow? I hope not.

7. Can anyone point me in the direction of a wiring table for the 205 GTI 1.9 as all the original wires have been cut from the original connectors. I also can't see any numbers on the wires. Is there a colour code guide kicking around??

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any help

Some responses below from Daviewonder which were very helpful

1. The 205 doesn't have an inertia switch mate, just connect up the 406 one.

2. Yeah leave the canister off, just connect up the solenoid.

3. This is a good thread- http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=130919&hl=

4. A local motor factors can supply one for the 406 turbo engine (1996 406 2.0 SRI) If you get stuck I'll dig out the part no.

5. This is the reverse sensor which is located just below the clutch arm on the top of the gearbox

6. Just keep all the 205 fan wiring, no need for any 406 bits to be used.

7. If my old memory serves me correctly this is all you need to know- http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww352/daviewonder/Multiplug_Dreamweaver.jpg

Hope helps anyone else having similar issues.

Edited by mannings

dave205

The lonks dont work :(

mannings

whoops, copied text not link try now

Edited by mannings

dave205

That wiring diagram is really good :)

dave205

Have you done your fuel hoses yet? Which way round do the go?

mannings

Check page three of this build for fuel hose set up. The one going through filter is the inlet.

dave205

Ive sorted now but cheers anyway. Did you have any luck with your wiring afrer? Im starting mine on sunday :/