• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnhenry

Possible Head Gasket

johnhenry

Right

i was finally getting towards the end of its troubles and then this...

It just felt different pulling out of a car park earlier (i have a fear of constant HG failure thanks to pugs) , then the temp was reading much higher than normal in traffic

Got it home, then started reading up on HG failure and saw the test for it, fill up the coolant reservoir to the brim and then turn the engine on,

there was virtually no water in there in the first place (filled it up about 5 weeks ago)

then bubbles, not consistantly but bubbles fairly large jus kept coming till the car was virtually up to full operating temp...

oh and on start up (it was already warm) there was a bit of white smoke; just a small amount that kepts coming out until just before i turned it off

i opened the bleed screw (i cant see any others) by the bulk head and thats ok, water coming straight out no air)

i cant think what else it can be

Is there a good guide for doing the job anywhere?

Cheers John

johnhenry

ok ive had another good look and root around, bled the coolant system again.

theres no water in the oil that i can see (on the dip stick and the oil filler area.

there are air bubbles coming up through the expansion tank.

ive read about some sort of membrane when knackered letting air in??

sorry to bump the topic but i neeed to sort this very sooon

choochoo

Shame you wasnt closer to me i could of replaced ur head gasket cheap . would of included a head skim and pressure test too

harryskid

Does the white smoke keep going?

johnhenry
Shame you wasnt closer to me i could of replaced ur head gasket cheap . would of included a head skim and pressure test too

how much would you look at for all that man? i got a few mates with 4x4's n trailers

Does the white smoke keep going?

nah the white smoke stops.

choochoo

would have to price up a head gasket set and head bolts first . could do this monday for you if you want

johnhenry
would have to price up a head gasket set and head bolts first . could do this monday for you if you want

regarding price of parts: £35ish for cylinder headgasket set

can i let you know tomorow man? gona get a compression tester on it and see what its readings are, also gonna see if its anything to do with an advanced diaphragm or something, seems to share similar symptoms as well.

regarding condition, this is a very precautionary job, its not overheated yet, just displaying symptoms of Possible HG failure.

Fox

I'd scrap it.

Only kidding, although it does sound like HG failure, if your handy with the spanners a days work should sort it, for a £13 gasket I'd skip the skim and risk it...

hcmini1989
regarding price of parts: £35ish for cylinder headgasket set

can i let you know tomorow man? gona get a compression tester on it and see what its readings are, also gonna see if its anything to do with an advanced diaphragm or something, seems to share similar symptoms as well.

regarding condition, this is a very precautionary job, its not overheated yet, just displaying symptoms of Possible HG failure.

Right do a compression test on all cylinders then do a pressure test on water system if these come back ok try a sniffer test .Is the water system over pressurising start it up let it warm up with the cap on and squeeze the water pipes see how hard they are .If they are solid there is a problem if they are abit pressurised it should be ok .Does your cooling fan work ,Is the thermostat working ok

If you dont have any of this equipment above take it to a garage and pay them to test it all for you .If its a decent garage they wont charge you any more than £30 to test it all for you then if it is gone get the work done by a freind or tackle it your self not a big job .Im sure theres enough info on here if you search to guide you through it.

And id at least get it pressure test it as stated above not worth the risk of putting it back together if the head is knackerd

Edited by hcmini1989

Miles

Never as cheap as you first think I'm afraid so be carefull,

It does sound like the H/G failure but when the heads off you may as well check the valve guides (Known for wearing out) replace stem seals and re-shim the cam, soon your knocking on £350.00 before labour

johnhenry
I'd scrap it.

Only kidding, although it does sound like HG failure, if your handy with the spanners a days work should sort it, for a £13 gasket I'd skip the skim and risk it...

im fairly competent with spanners, just terrified (mainly cus of my stepdad who's managed to put the fear of god into me) about wet lined engines, is there any guide/step by step help i can find anywhere, ive had a good look around on here.

its in good nick, hasnt overheated, so doubt the heads warped

im looking a head gasket set, what else is there in there other than a HG? like other gaskets and stuff?

I'de scrap it...very tempting at times ;) but im well and truely on this emotional rollercoaster now, too late to get off it now!

Edited by johnhenry

hcmini1989
im fairly competent with spanners, just terrified (mainly cus of my stepdad who's managed to put the fear of god into me) about wet lined engines, is there any guide/step by step help i can find anywhere, ive had a good look around on here.

its in good nick, hasnt overheated, so doubt the heads warped

im looking a head gasket set, what else is there in there other than a HG? like other gaskets and stuff?

I'de scrap it...very tempting at times ;) but im well and truely on this emotional rollercoaster now, too late to get off it now!

Search mate its all out there

Dont worry about wet liners just dont turn the engine while the head is off you should be ok

johnhenry

many thanks everyone! i dont have and of the items needed to test compression, pressures etc etc or have any idea how to/what is a sniffer test!

ill pop it down to a friend at a garage and will get that done. maybe look at mid week being in a position or sorting the whole thing out.

ill post when i know more!

Cheers John

hcmini1989
many thanks everyone! i dont have and of the items needed to test compression, pressures etc etc or have any idea how to/what is a sniffer test!

ill pop it down to a friend at a garage and will get that done. maybe look at mid week being in a position or sorting the whole thing out.

ill post when i know more!

Cheers John

Its the best thing to do mate save buying all the tools

A sniffer test -you hold it over the header tank (with the cap off) create a seal around the top of the tank with it and it has a liquid in it so when you sqieeze a little rubber diaphram thingy it sucks air in and if the liquid changes colour there is exhaust gas or combustion gas in the water system meaning the HG is gone

sorry about the description sounds weird but you`d have to see one in action really simple

dobbo26

Hi if you do have the hg done have it skimmed at the same time for the cost of it as it might save you having to do the job twice.

choochoo

If you do it yourself you be amazed how easy it is once u got the inlet manifold off as theres realy not alot on these engines

johnhenry

well my friends dad is a mechanic so im gona take it up there and see what the deal is with it

looking into something called a advanced diaphragm as a similar member (tomwp) posted a thread showing similar symptoms and it was that, not HG.

drove it 10 miles each way to work today, didnt have any temp problems, but i know/have seen air coming through the header tank.

will post more on this after i get diagnostic stuff back

many thanks again

johnhenry

Checked the advanced diaphragm, its knackered.

Firstly; this shares some of the symptoms of whats up with mine, but not others, uses water fast and seems down on power,

> is this going to account for air getting into the coolant?

If yes: anyone know any suitable fits? saw pugtorque saying old fiesta ones do the job fine as they (pug ones) aren't made anymore.

If no: HG will be gone then for sure, that was the only other option of what could be it.

GLPoomobile

I'm assuming you are talking about the vacuum advance that is in the distributor. This has nothing to do with the coolant system, so it will have nothing to do with bubbles in the coolant. It will account for lacklustre performance (as will pretty much any important engine component that fails) as when it's not working it can't advance the distributor when it needs to, meaning the timing is out under certain conditions.

johnhenry
I'm assuming you are talking about the vacuum advance that is in the distributor. This has nothing to do with the coolant system, so it will have nothing to do with bubbles in the coolant. It will account for lacklustre performance (as will pretty much any important engine component that fails) as when it's not working it can't advance the distributor when it needs to, meaning the timing is out under certain conditions.

yea thats the part i was on about, after abit of thought i realised they couldnt be anything to do with each other yeh that was me being novice again.

essentially the list (again :/ ) of parts it needs

Head gasket

Vacuum Advance Diaphragm

starter motor

Fan Heater

well thats next week sorted then!

will keep all posted on the HG position.

lemmingzappa
Vacuum Advance Diaphragm

I've been looking for one of these for my 1.6 and have had no luck so far. Peugeot no longer have them, and a Bosch dealer I tried no longer have them.

Someone mentioned using an old fiesta one, haven't found any on eBay though...and the trouble is the 1.9 and 1.6 vacuums are different lengths :D

Edited by lemmingzappa

2-Pugs

The trouble with the head gasket job, as I hope you won't find out, is all down to the head bolts. If they come straight out then you're almost home and dry. Just take your time, follow Haynes, take the opportunity to get it skimmed and fit a new cambelt too. It's all fairly straightforward. If any of the bolts snap, though, you're in for a world of pain unfortunately. Sure there are ways around but its a ballache you don't need.

Edited by 2-Pugs

johnhenry

Right i got it sniffer tested: where can you one of those things? they are awsome!

yeh HG failure. :(

got parts for it at good prices, gasket set and head bolts, picking them up 2moro, going to get the head off wednesday with my friend: toyota mechanic (thank god) gona chuck loads of new parts on it then as well, all sorted.

The trouble with the head gasket job, as I hope you won't find out, is all down to the head bolts. If they come straight out then you're almost home and dry. Just take your time, follow Haynes, take the opportunity to get it skimmed and fit a new cambelt too. It's all fairly straightforward. If any of the bolts snap, though, you're in for a world of pain unfortunately. Sure there are ways around but its a ballache you don't need.

Regarding removing the headbolts, are there any tips other than take your time, im getting a nice deep impact 6 sided socket for them and an extra bar for my socket set, so can control the force applied better. applied some 3-1spray oil to them tonight and gonna do it again 2moro morning before work and when i get home, should help a lil bit i guess!

ORB

6 Sided impact socket?

You need a Torx 55 mate.

harryskid

While we are talking head bolts i'am trying to get the head off my old 1900 and the first bolt came out alright but the second broke my torex . Am i doing some thing wrong, the bolts seem really tight. Any tips? :(

Sign in to follow this