• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnhenry

Possible Head Gasket

ORB

Better quality tooling is required.

I bet yours is halfords?

Tap the head bolts first.

harryskid

Spot on mate it is a Halfords one, i'll get a better new one and follow your advise.

Cheers :(

johnhenry
6 Sided impact socket?

You need a Torx 55 mate.

yeh had a look at them this afternoon after posting, gona pick it up 2moro on way back from work...on the bus...joys on peugeot ownership :/

Better quality tooling is required.

I bet yours is halfords?

Tap the head bolts first.

ive been down the halfords route thanks mate, complete waste of time

clarke, eclipse & kamasa stuff for me now!

GLPoomobile

Forget soaking the bolts in 3 in 1 oil. Get yourself some plusgas and douse the little f***ers in that over the course of a few days. That's what I did on my 1.6 8v and they came out beautifully. I was paranoid as I snapped the bolt on my previous 1.9 8v, but luckily I was scrapping it anyway and only wanted the head and not the block.

jimbob

recently did a head gasket on my 1600 had two bolts snap 3 others were stiff rest were easy as pie seems to make no sense, i managed to do a head gasket with know real mechanical knowledge, its extremely simple jus label everything to cover your back. i was very unsure about tackling a head gasket due to the persona of it being an awful job, turned out to be simplest job i've done on the pug

johnhenry
recently did a head gasket on my 1600 had two bolts snap 3 others were stiff rest were easy as pie seems to make no sense, i managed to do a head gasket with know real mechanical knowledge, its extremely simple jus label everything to cover your back. i was very unsure about tackling a head gasket due to the persona of it being an awful job, turned out to be simplest job i've done on the pug

fills me with optimism for the job ahead man!

2moro is the day!

fingers crossed.

johnhenry

right, good news is, head bolts came out no problems...

bad news/its got me stumped

How do i get the actual head off? haynes describe it as "get 2 L shaped bars and wiggle it out" pretty vague...

Help guys?

Tom Fenton

You have got the engine mount removed? This bolts to both the head and the block so the head won't come off if this is still attached.

johnhenry
You have got the engine mount removed? This bolts to both the head and the block so the head won't come off if this is still attached.

yeh, ive removed all the bolts (the 3 that are on top of the engine side of the mount), also ive loosened the one on the car side (as told to in haynes) ps sorry for my basic description.

Tom Fenton

I'm referring to the alloy casting with the three studs sticking upwards, this then bolts with three bolts, to the head and the block.

johnhenry
I'm referring to the alloy casting with the three studs sticking upwards, this then bolts with three bolts, to the head and the block.

yeh got those bolts off the alloy castings, ill go get the others off now! thanks!

skinner2k3

What I think the haynes is referring to is not lifting the head off straight up, risking disturbing the wet liners. Use two of your old head bolts so they are only in the head and rock the head back towards the bulkhead to break the seal, then lift it!

johnhenry

that took a bloody mission, very scared of breaking it, but eventually it came loose.

had to remove loads of s*it i think it needed, now left with things that have come loose and i have NO idea where they go, im setting up a photobucket account gona upload the picutres onto here if i cant work it out.

Tedglenn

Guys, read all this with great interest as I am stood here looking at an engine with a blown gasket. I have stripped off the inlet manifold and working on removing cam belt etc.

One thing confuses me being new to the. The distributor and thermostat look like they are bolted into a casting that is bolted onto the head ?

Do I take that off first or is it part of the head ? In other words do i leave well alone and it comes off with the head ?

I am sort of scared of undoing stuff in the wrong order.

Thanks Ian.

one-lady-owner

I've just got the head off mine and can tell you the dizzy/thermostat casting is all one piece and, personally I left it on until I got the head off, at first I thought my luck was in as it looked like I could remove that casting and leave the dizzy in the right place but no such luck, there is an allen key bolt under the dizzy holding it all on

Tedglenn

Thanks for the steer. I will ignore it and carry on.

Thanks Ian.

Sign in to follow this