• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest JayTee

Turbo Conversions?

Guest JayTee

hi peoples

i am considering doing a turbo conversion on my 309 over the winter months and im tring to find ome ifo, i have looked through a few threads on here but still have ome unanswered questions, if anyone could help that would be awsome.

Right the engine im going to be basing the conversion on will be a s16 or a 8v lump, ive had a read through ericyellow's thread and he is using a decomp plate, i know you can skim pistons but this weakens them so would like to steer clear of that, using custom forged pistons isnt really an option at the moment as im not that minted lol. So anyone know the right thickness decomp plate to use and where to get one? what mangment and injectors to use?? im looking for a modest 250bhp ideally as car will be in use everyday, i will be using a cosworth t3 turbo i got kickin around for now and i will have to get a custom made mainfold and downpipe made up. intercooler and piping can be bought off the bay cheap enough too.

Right unanswered quetions are:

what management? (my mates have had very good results with megasquirt)

what injectors?

map sensor?

boost controller?

decomp thickness?

brake servo clearance?

power steering res location?

exspansion tank location?

oil feed and drains?

inlet manifold shortening?

what other ancillaries will i need?

what will the engines boost capabilities be?

my budget is £1500 including buying the engine to use if that helps.

Cheers in advance :rolleyes:

rubyna

To be honest mate I cant see it being done on £1500 if you do though let me know how :rolleyes:

Daviewonder

I wish you the best of luck, looking forward to following this project. Is £1500 just for the engine build and management? Don't forget you will need decent rubber and most certainly a diff if you want to get the power down, brakes upgrade? suspension upgrade? It soon adds up :rolleyes:

allanallen

what management? (my mates have had very good results with megasquirt) If your mates good with megasquirt go for that otherwise most aftermarket ecu's will do ie; DTA, omex etc

what injectors? Rover turbos, porsche 964 etc etc

map sensor? whatever your ecu specifys, I know a lot work with cosworth ones

boost controller? your ecu may have this feature

decomp thickness? for 250bhp you may get away with standard compression??

brake servo clearance? s16 coil pack cover needs relieving slightly to clear and your having the manifold made so you can make sure the turbo sits well clear of the servo.

power steering res location? wherever you have room

exspansion tank location? standard position or again wherever you have room

oil feed and drains? feed Teed off oil pressure sender or similar and a return welded onto the sump or possibly tap a hole in the bottom of the block somwhere.

inlet manifold shortening? what for?

what other ancillaries will i need?

what will the engines boost capabilities be? I would of thought at standard CR the engine will stand 8-10psi, only guessing though.

I rekon its do-able for 1500 if you can do everything yourself and source everything secondhand. If your going to be paying someone to do though I'd forget it.

As mentioned a brake upgrade and an LSD is highly advisable too.

Guest JayTee

my brakes will be courtesy of 307 hdi' for now, uspension is uprated torsions and bilstein sportline kit already aswel as upper and lower braces

i will be doing 99% myelf only thing i wont do is the manifold and a mate of mine has got 240bhp out of a standard rs turbo lump with megasquirt so im ure it wont be hard to do this with 250ish. the reson i want a decomp plate is if i decide to go with a bit more boost for say a pod day i can, its only got to last 8 months in its first build cause by then i should be able to get some proper forged pistons. Adding it all up i should be able to do it for 1300 aslong as my welded doesnt let me down. thanks for the info on this everyone, i will be putting a build thred up as soon as i can

Miles

No need to decomp plates, Its a thing of the past, run good fuel and it will be fine, but with £1500.00 you;ve got no chance of doing it

Guest JayTee
No need to decomp plates, Its a thing of the past, run good fuel and it will be fine, but with £1500.00 you;ve got no chance of doing it

really?? cool lol. im to use to old rs turbo's and low comp engines, time to catch up then lol.

found my engine, s16 £50 needs headasket, also found managment, a mate is sellin a assembled v4 megasquirt ecu and untouched loom for £200, thats 2 sorted.

pugpete1108

you should be well within budget then with those two sorted.

i plan on doing a turbo conversion on my 6 engine and hope it will cost alot less than that :lol: .

i do have the megasquirt already though and can weld....well just about

Guest JayTee
you should be well within budget then with those two sorted.

i plan on doing a turbo conversion on my 6 engine and hope it will cost alot less than that :lol: .

i do have the megasquirt already though and can weld....well just about

i can weld ish lol, but id like the manifold done for me, if i weld up a manifold it wont last long lol. i will prob use a manifold for somthing else but change the flange or et the misses to buy me a dp manifold for £800 :lol:

pugpete1108

im gonna have a go at making my own as i aint paying out 800 for one.

in hindsight though i probabally will :lol:

Edited by pugpete1108

Guest JayTee

make that a s16 engine with ancillaries for £46, cheap as chips!!!

am i going to need anything to fit the s16 cause of the master cylinder?

zebedy101

Pm wracing I'm sure he was making turbo manifolds very cheap. Project sounds good I shall be following this one.

wracing

As said dont lower the compression ratio, I'm just warning you that most of your secondhand ford petrol turbos are well past it!

James

Guest JayTee
As said dont lower the compression ratio, I'm just warning you that most of your secondhand ford petrol turbos are well past it!

James

yeh your not wrong lol, surely though not lowering the compression limits boost to 1bar max?? mind you that should give a nice figure anyway. and are you the man to talk to about a manifold?

What headgasket do people recomend to use??

wracing

use the gti6 gasket it is mls as standard. Although your peak boost is limited you will extract more power per pound of boost on the higher compression engine.

the manifolds are not currently available through the forum but will be available from a retailer shortly you will have to wait and see :o

James

peter
make that a s16 engine with ancillaries for £46, cheap as chips!!!

You out bid me for that on ebay! lol

I also want to build a budget t16, Looking forward to seeing how you get on with the megasquirt!

Guest JayTee
You out bid me for that on ebay! lol

I also want to build a budget t16, Looking forward to seeing how you get on with the megasquirt!

tbh i didnt think id win it but had a punt anyway, was shocked when i checked the day after it ended, pickin it up wednesday eve, fist major part of my project

Guest JayTee
use the gti6 gasket it is mls as standard. Although your peak boost is limited you will extract more power per pound of boost on the higher compression engine.

the manifolds are not currently available through the forum but will be available from a retailer shortly you will have to wait and see :)

James

have to let us know where i can get one fella, thanx for the info too but there will prob be alot of ques yet to come lol

Guest JayTee

ive just discovered that my 309 has the "export" 105bhp engine and has a standard comp ratio of 8.4:1, that make it ripe for turbo'in, could i bolt the s16 head to my bottom end and would it alter the comp ratio?

Sign in to follow this