• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jrod

Rear Bumper Brackets

Jrod

Firstly, F*ck sake. ;) Decided to go for PH2 lights, made up a nice link loom but today had to take the bumper off to put the wiring for the reverse light etc in.

Whilst off I decided to have a poke about behind the rear lights as I know they rot. Alas, 1 of mine has.

dscn2165s.jpg

You can see it quite well here. :)

I'm not sure whether to just plate the hole left after the rust is cut out or replace the whole panel. How is this panel attatched, a few spot welds and then sealed? Assuming you can you remove without touching the rear 1/4? Best way to try and remove it?

Also I read on here people saying the part is NLA but it doesn't say that on servicebox, Is it worth trying to use one off a good shell as I know pugtorque did.

Edited by Jrod

lemmingzappa

I also have this same problem.

welshpug

one side is NLA the other isnt.

SurGie

which side is that then WP ?

Jrod

According to Pugtorque the drivers side was NLA but then back in January cRaig said he had the passenger side made as it was NLA.

Servicebox says Left is NLA and right has a new part number, it didn't say NLA last night! :):)

:edit: Just got off the phone with my dealer, both are NLA.

Edited by Jrod

Jrod

I cut out any metal that wasn't solid with a dremel and here is what I've got left:

1rust.jpg

I'm unsure whether to plate it or to cut the panel off a scrap car and see what I can do, tempted to do that to be honest. :)

My advice is to check your 205 here now, out of 9 I've had 3 have rusted away here (and the others I never checked!) It's so out of sight people just neglect it. I thought my rust days were over when I sold the Capri! :):)

Edited by Jrod

BERTMAN
:) mines on its way there too, bit of a pain in the arse place to get too though :)

Jrod
:) mines on its way there too, bit of a pain in the arse place to get too though :)

Thats by far the biggest problem, I think I'll just lift that side of the car as high as I can to try and make working on it a touch easier.

Toddy

The original panel is spot welded.

I purchased the one side available, then made a mirrored template for the other side.

From memory the panel was £8 and the bumper attaches to the bracket.

Has your car got a sunroof? as i think it is the sunroof drain pipe perishing and allowing water to drain onto the top of the panel and eventually corrode.

Tom Fenton

Out of my two cars, the one that is rotten here is the one with no sunroof, the car WITH sunroof is solid!

It is a bit of a muck trap where it is behind the rear wheel getting blasted with road crap and water, it is a testament to Peugeot rustproofing that they have not ALL gone rotten here really.

SurGie

My sun-roofed GT is rotten and my non-sunny is fine on both sides, there seems to be good need for a group buy of these panels ?

Any one up for it if so then ill have two sets of 4 :) ?

Toddy
Out of my two cars, the one that is rotten here is the one with no sunroof, the car WITH sunroof is solid!

It is a bit of a muck trap where it is behind the rear wheel getting blasted with road crap and water, it is a testament to Peugeot rustproofing that they have not ALL gone rotten here really.

Blows my theory out of the water!

Worth mentioning if this isn't treated it can spread onto the rear quarter panel.

Jrod
I purchased the one side available, then made a mirrored template for the other side.

Can you make more? I'd take 1 of each side as I'm sure the other side will have to be done one day.

Has your car got a sunroof? as i think it is the sunroof drain pipe perishing and allowing water to drain onto the top of the panel and eventually corrode.

Yep, my last didn't though and was just as rotten. I agree with what you are saying though but don't think just becuase you don't have a sunroof it won't rust!

Toddy
Can you make more? I'd take 1 of each side as I'm sure the other side will have to be done one day.

I had ordered one side and copied the dimensions onto a piece of A3 paper then used this as a template on sheet steel.

Remove the rusted panel and use cardboard to trial fit, and don't forget the bumper support bracket attaches to this panel.

I haven't got the dimensions, time or inclination to fabricate panels, its hard enough finishing my own 205 :)

Jrod

I decided to have a real good poke about the other side, it looks just like new which is handy, I'll be giving it a good dose of waxoyl though!

Anyway, I still needed a panel for the drivers side....

5 minutes with an oxy cet and I have the corner off the car, I can now work my way back to the panel required. <_<

weld020.jpg

weld025.jpg

The most annoying bit is this shell has been sat here for 10 months, I could of got this done a long time ago! :rolleyes:

Tom Fenton

Any chance you can make a decent template of this panel when you get it seperated? I've this job to do on my white car.

DaveW

Glue that on

Jrod

I'll see what I can do Tom. :rolleyes:

Dave, I'm not trying to repair it like you would! <_<

Jrod
bracket005c.jpg

lemmingzappa

I would also appreciate a template !

JoshGti

Im realatively new on here so cant get access to a group buy or anything if anyone starts one, but an a4 paper template would be handy to me too as mine is also rotten here on both sides!

Jrod

I planned on doing it today but I'm hanging out of my arse after a heavy night last night... so didn't... B)

Jrod

I made a start on this today.

I did most with a chisel and dremel with a cutting disc. I'm quite happy with how it all came out except the 'tongue' at the back. That bit is a nightmare as its between 2 panels and hard to get at, I ended up cutting a small section of 1 panel out and managed to split the weld on the other. I'll tidy this all up with a grinding wheel once done so it will look tidy but either way none of this will ever be visable once finished so you'll never know. :rolleyes:

rust007.jpg

I'll make the template tomorrow before fitting...

Jrod

Template made, anyone who wants a copy PM me andwe can sort out the best way of getting you one.

repair001.jpg

Also today I did a few test fits and fully prepared the are ready to fit the panel. I want it all finished by the weekend Ideally so I can get a bumper back on. :(

rust001.jpg