• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Loose Hand Luke

Saxo Vtr Engine Fitting (8v Tu5?)

Loose Hand Luke

Just got offered and engine and box from a saxo VTR.

Its 100% complete even has driveshafts, but doesn't have all the loom and the ecu.

I'm not clued up on the TU5 8v engine but I've been after one to put in my old 205 Junior shell (converted to take a TU engine), so wondered what might be the way to go with it.

Should I find a loom and ecu or maybe fit carbs? I noticed the injectors seem to go into the cylinder head and not the inlet manifold so maybe carbs aren't the easiest option?

Spares wise, I've a complete TU1 engine and box and a TU3 engine and box for parts if need be.

Opinions please :lol:

custard-rallye

i did this recently a vtr bottom end with a ax gt head i wouldnt waste your time tbh id use the vtr engine and go injection as you said or do what im doing vtr engine plug the injector holes and use the tu3 dizzy and fit 40's or bike carbs atleast then you dont need to mess about with looms and changing tanks

welshpug

Most reliable option is a single plug early ECU and use the standard injection, you'd need to fit an injection fuel tank and pump, otherwise like all the MI156 and gti6 conversions, its only a handful of wire to make it run, and a few more for the gauges.

custard-rallye

is it really that easy as i can get a 2 litre turbo engine on the cheap

Loose Hand Luke

Ok, So for a carb, such as a Webber or similar, I'd use the TU3 dizzy, and does that allow me to use the mechanical fuel pump? Is there a hole for it in the head?

Otherwise, if injection is the best way to go, what car should I pinch a loom from if there's not a VTR lying around? Are the engine looms separate from the car loom and just unplug, or do you have to cut them out?

And are there any other ECU's that will work or am I aiming to find a VTR item?

How to the engines meter air? is there a MAP sensor or a MAF of some kind? If its not part of the inlet plenum I might not be getting that either :lol:

Thanks for all the help guys. ;)

custard-rallye

Ok, So for a carb, such as a Webber or similar, I'd use the TU3 dizzy, and does that allow me to use the mechanical fuel pump? Is there a hole for it in the head?

you will need a low pressure electric fuel pump if you go carb as the vtr head doesnt have a hole for the mechanical pump

Loose Hand Luke

Been to the scrappy, there aren't any VTR's there, any chance an engine loom and ecu from a 1.6 306 or similar will work with the VTR 8v engine? Just to get it running etc.

Other than that, would another head from a Carb engine bolt on so I can run mech fuel pump, dizzy and DCOE or similar?

Thanks for the help guys.

custard-rallye

a xs head or ax gt head bolts straight on but its not worth it i did it and it runs crap so im putting a vtr head back on blocking off the injector holes and running twin 40's

kentish_lad

what would you use to plug off the injector holes im just parts gathering for the same conversion

custard-rallye

The head I got was used with carbs before the person got little plugs with a o-ring made up I will get pics on the weekend

burr_2000

you could just leave injectors in, i used a 1/2" npt tap and plugged them.

Loose Hand Luke

Cool.

Thanks for all the info and help guys. :) Not sure if I'm going to take this route now as a mate has just bought a Honda EP3 Type R, and I was looking at his engine, then my 205...

Don't want to spend a couple of hundred quid on a VTR conversion if I then decide to go Honda in the front instead. Would rather only do it all once :lol: