• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Clarre

Torsion Bars Length 309 Vs 306?

Clarre

As topic. and I've used the search funktion but I can't find anything. Is there somebody who knows the difference in length between the 309 and the 306 torsion bars?

Baz

Not actual measurements, but the 306 ones are too long to be used in a 309 beam!

Rob_the_Sparky

But can be machined down to fit - Alan M is using bars modified like this. I think Anthony got them done but you'd have to check with him.

Rob

Anthony
But can be machined down to fit - Alan M is using bars modified like this. I think Anthony got them done but you'd have to check with him.

Close, but no cigar - 306 ARB's can be cut down and resplined for 205/309 usage, but 306 torsion bars can't

Clarre
Close, but no cigar - 306 ARB's can be cut down and resplined for 205/309 usage, but 306 torsion bars can't

Why?

j_turnell

They arent thick enough, theres not enough material to allow them to be machined down (20/21mm), whereas the arbs are 24mm.

Clarre

I see. But mine are 25mm thick. Then I hope it will be OK.

welshpug

that's the same picture I linked to above...

Daviewonder

I know but you need to be signed into the 405 forum to view your link :D

Clarre

I've seen the picture. But the big question is still there what is the difference in length. Between the 309 and the 306 torsion bar?

Kev-G

I thought that the difference was a little more than that picture shows, but based on that (and assuming that the unseen ends were all level) then you could get away with trimming a couple of mm from the 306 bars to equal the 309 bars in length.

welshpug

May not even need to trim that much off them as the stud on the end is usually wound out a few turns to take up the space to the plugged end.

Not sure if there's any way to go the other way, depends how long the splines are in the crossmember brackets.

Edited by welshpug

Anthony

I'm not quite sure where that other picture came from, but it's very misleading!

306309torsionbars.jpg

That's a pair of 309 GTi torsion bars (left) and 306 GTi-6 torsion bars (right) side by side, resting on flat floor. As you can see, the difference in length is around 4cm, and that's far too much to just take a little off the end of the 306 bar splines to make it fit into a 309 beam.

Edit - lengths are as follows: 309 GTi torsion bar = 102.8cm, 306 GTi-6 torsion bar = 106.8cm

Edited by Anthony

Anthony

Indeed, just for good measure, here's a quick comparison:

205309partner306torsion.jpg

That's 19mm 205 GTi torsion bars on the left, then 20mm 309 GTi, the 21mm Partner, and then 20mm 306 GTi-6 on the right. Clearly, the Partner bars are nigh-on the same length hence they can be used in a 309 beam without issue.

Clarre

Thank you. As I thought it's to good to bee true. The first picture. So I've to do new splines at one end. It must be possible when my bars is 25,5mm.

welshpug

might be ARB's then?

Anthony
Thank you. As I thought it's to good to bee true. The first picture. So I've to do new splines at one end. It must be possible when my bars is 25,5mm.

I think from memory a 24mm torsion bar is the smallest that you can get resplined, so yes, it should be possible to cut down and respline a 25mm torsion bar as the bar is thicker than the splined end.

Anthony
might be ARB's then?

They look like torsion bars rather than anti-roll bars in that photo, just I don't believe that is a 306 torsion bar as claimed.

welshpug

I found this diagram of a 106/saxo torsion bar;

torsionbar.jpg

So a 25mm bar could be shortened on the smaller 30 spline end.

Anyone have a 205 torsion bar length to hand?

Anthony
Anyone have a 205 torsion bar length to hand?

Just measured one in the garage for you, and it's roughly 993mm - so about an inch or so longer than a 106/Saxo TB.

welshpug

thanks Anthony, sounds about right as they are about 40mm narrower than a 205 in rear track, though front track is near identical.

Kev-G
306309torsionbars.jpg

Much more like I remember...

joe1joe

has anyone ever tried using the partner bars in a 309 beam? any feedback on them?