• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stevo309

Which Bilsteins!?

Stevo309

After a previous post about my vague steering and having changed the rear shocks to OEM ones i'm now looking to change the front end setup as well to try and improve it. Have been doing a lot of research and the general opinion seems to be Eibach springs, Bilstein front dampers and OEM rear dampers or equivalent.

The car is pure fast road use and no track so i just want the best i can in terms of feel but at least some comfort. Now my confusion surrounds the B4 front shocks, at the moment my car has VNE-4595/4596 front struts and unknown springs. Are these also known as Streetline? The front end feels soft so is it worth trying VNE-4105/4016 B4's? What is the difference between these and what I have? They look the same to me, info on the net is the same and the price pretty much the same? Maybe i should stick with what i have but change to Eibach springs? Or should i seriously consider yellow B6 Group N struts?

Also, can anyone tell me where to get Group N top mount rubbers please?

Cheers

GLPoomobile

You've not researched that well <_<

Open the forum you've just posted this in, and look a few topics further down \/....

Stevo309

Well the more you read the more confused sometimes! Sorry! Believe me i have read many of the other forum posts.

Having searched the forum for my part number I think i can work out that i have the 306 shocks on the front with no brake pipe bracket, VNE-4595/96 and these are B4's. The equivalent for 205 would be VNE-4104 so i'd be wasting my money changing to them.

Ok, answered my own question and will change springs only. <_<

gavbrum

I too am looking at changing suspension setup. I started a few posts over the past few days. Sounds like we are both after the same setup. Rear shocks = Standard peugeot ones. I got them off Peugeot for £52 each. Eipach springs with Bilstein VNE-4105/4016 B4's is what the general consensus is for the front setup. How is the rear suspension since you changed them over?

Stevo309

Yes mate indeed we are looking at the same goal. Back end is hugely improved since changing to oem rear shocks. Luckily these came with the car but could have covered most of the cars mileage 97k. They felt smooth though and fine on the car. Much much better than the bilstein 1931's that were terrible and frankly dangerous.

For the front I have B4's fitted and have ordered eibach springs today's from kamracing. I suspect the car has an aftermarket top mount set with softer rubber bushes so planning to run oem top mount rubbers as I know they are good. I remember running various setups on my 309 years ago and oem shocks with eibach springs was about as good as it got.

I'll let you know how it goes. It's all a bit of an experiment to get the car how I want it, only owned it for a month so I'm discovering what is fitted.

Cheers

Edited by Stevo309

gavbrum

I've yet to buy the front Bilstein B4 shocks or eibach springs. How much does it actually lower the front by? Can you buy the full OEM top mount kit from peugeot? Might be as well changing the bushes if its cheap enough. I've got some stuff to collect from them tomorrow so i'll check.

Stevo309

Lowering with these springs is said to be around 30mm so not a huge amount. Mine is already lowered that amount which is noticeable but in reality i would like it lower. For now though i'm just trying to get it driving right which is my main concern. I read on other posts that lowering too far can have a negative effect and from what i can tell the Bilstein shocks are better with only mild lowering.

You can get a complete top mount kit from Peugeot. It contains all the hardware needed above the spring including bearing and rubber bush and all the plates for around £50 per side so not cheap. GSF apparenty sell the bearing and top mount rubber separately although i've also read that aftermarket rubber mounts can be too soft so i'm going for OEM. You should only really need to replace the bearing and/or rubber bush though as the other stuff can be cleaned up with a wire brush etc.

Stevo309

Complete top mount set is part number 503192 and is priced at £45.99 + vat per side.

Interestingly they also apparently do a kit which consists of the rubber bush plus the top nut and top cup for around £22. Sorry i can't remember the exact price or part number but it's a cheaper option if you only need the rubber bush and not the bearing and other plates etc.

gavbrum

Cheers man, I'll order new bearings and rubber mounts I think. 30mm might not be enough for me I think as I'd like it a bit lower than that. Can you get Eibachs that will lower 50mm and still give optimum performance with the Bilsteins

welshpug

50mm is too low, you start to have issues with the brake lines kinking and causing binding on lock, and the wishbones going past horizontal.

• Like 1

McDude
50mm is too low, you start to have issues with the brake lines kinking and causing binding on lock, and the wishbones going past horizontal.

And it'll ride and handle like a turd

welshpug

agreed :huh: