• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gaz832

205 Has Died On Me

gaz832

hi folks, was out in the car last week and parked up at a friends , came out to start it and nothing not even a click from the starter motor. got a freind to push the car and it bumped no problem. only problem is it wont stay running , cuts out almost immediately. changed the plugs , dizzy, rotor arm even the leads. still nothing. got a new starter and still not getting anything atall . should i go for a alternator change now as its my last resort a think. battery has power and the starter is heating up. ?

Edited by gaz832

Daviewonder

Sounds the same as what mine was doing when the alternator was nearly dead, it would jump start ok and then drive for a bit but after a while it would missfire and cut out then not start. I got the alternator rebuilt and everything was ok after that ;)

hcmini1989
hi folks, was out in the car last week and parked up at a friends , came out to start it and nothing not even a click from the starter motor. got a freind to push the car and it bumped no problem. only problem is it wont stay running , cuts out almost immediately. changed the plugs , dizzy, rotor arm even the leads. still nothing. got a new starter and still not getting anything atall . should i go for a alternator change now as its my last resort a think. battery has power and the starter is heating up. ?

possible bad earth ? check them all try a jump lead as an earth lead see if it makes it any better

series111

Try starting it again and measure the voltage across the battery terminals using a multimeter it should read over 13 volts when running if it doesnt it will be your alternator as daviewonder has said hope this helps

gaz832

thx folks will try the alternator tommorrow as i have 2 spare ones. . went to knockhill today and there was a 205 mi16 turbo there , damn a need a mi16 in mine lol.

gaz832
possible bad earth ? check them all try a jump lead as an earth lead see if it makes it any better

should have added that, when i try to start it, there is no click but the fuel pump keeps pumping and it wont turn off. also all the lights go out when is tried to start.

series111

I was there a fortnight ago at a rs owners day excellent track with some fast cars on show

gaz832

yeah its agood track, but tricky to pass in places, was going to put my fiesta on today, but clutch is dodgy enough without racing the car lol. was some real fast cars up there. the 205 turbo was mental and looked mean. wish i took a pic of it now.

shaundean
Sounds the same as what mine was doing when the alternator was nearly dead, it would jump start ok and then drive for a bit but after a while it would missfire and cut out then not start. I got the alternator rebuilt and everything was ok after that :D

This is very similar to what mine has started doing, but mine isn't misfiring and cutting out, once its running it keeps running but it can be sat over night and be dead in the morning. Could it be my alternator on the way out? Or a drain on the battery i.e. a short? Any suggestions how I can go about fault finding as I really don't know what I'm doing with auto-electricals. Ta

pug_ham
there is no click but the fuel pump keeps pumping and it wont turn off. also all the lights go out when is tried to start.

Is the starter solenoid wire still fitted?

When these fall off the fuel pump will keep running if the engine has fired fine but the dash lights should stay on.

Graham.

Carbs4me

Id say charge your battery before, you even consider buying a new alternator... my alternator went on me car would drive around all day long until it was either night and you required your lights on or if you turned it off obvisously wouldnt start unless bumped! All altnerators will varrie with ware, some will give enough charge to keep running others wont.

All though i think you have bought alot of unessary parts there considering your starter wasnt turning, my first asumption would have flat battery? charge it, if it goes flat again its the alternator! and one thing ive noticed is some times the bolt is in the incorrect side of the engine, and you cannot pull the bolt out to change the starter without lifting the engine owt... was a pain!

gaz832

will check all the connections and bits tonight. think my alternator has come slack.

large
Id say charge your battery before, you even consider buying a new alternator... my alternator went on me car would drive around all day long until it was either night and you required your lights on or if you turned it off obvisously wouldnt start unless bumped! All altnerators will varrie with ware, some will give enough charge to keep running others wont.

All though i think you have bought alot of unessary parts there considering your starter wasnt turning, my first asumption would have flat battery? charge it, if it goes flat again its the alternator! and one thing ive noticed is some times the bolt is in the incorrect side of the engine, and you cannot pull the bolt out to change the starter without lifting the engine owt... was a pain!

WHAT!!

Why would you go and spend £30-£50 on a battery when the OP has already stated he has 2 alternators?

The first thing I would do is as others have said test, to see what the fault is. Get the car running and test from the earth point on the car and + on the battery, you should see about 14.4v. Then turn the head lights on heater blower and heated rear screen. You should still see 13v ish.

I would be looking at why is the starter not turning the engine over, if you have 12v across the battery it should go. The fact you say the starter is getting hot indicates that it is getting voltage or the solenoid is at least.

If the alternator is not charging you should be seeing the battery light on all the time.

Edited by large

gaz832

took the battey out the car, and gona give it a right good charge all night. c what happens the mora. is there anyone in fife scotland area that can help me get it running . ? as im on the verge of just getting rid of it now.

Sign in to follow this