• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
evo_works

106 S2 Rallye Or 205 Gti?

evo_works

I was just mooching through pistonheads. Wondered what peoples thoughts are?

Dan

Edited by evo_works

lemmingzappa

You might be asking in the wrong place :D

Guest THE_Liam

I haven't driven an S2 Rallye, but the S1 is a mental little car. For a country lane I'd have a Rallye but for everyday driving I want a 205, which is why I'm here :D

White Pugs

I've owned both.

Drive both and decide, there is no wrong/right choice.

In my experience in running both cars when standard at Harewood hillclimb the 1.9 Gti is quicker by around 1.5/2 secs per mile.

J

McDude

Definitley wrong place to ask for an unbiased answer. I'd love a mint S2 Rallye, but I chose a 205 over one.

Baz

I've had a couple of 106's.

I like the Rallyes, but i'd still choose a 205 everytime, the pedal layout in the 106's is a massive let-down for me.

happygoron

Always had a hankering for a mint series 1 106 rallye, however they are pretty rare these days. Finding an unmolested rallye is near impossible! S1 looks better than the s2 as well for me.

Ludi
You might be asking in the wrong place ;)

Agree. :)

DaveW

Cramped girly car? or a 205 gti...hmmmm

welshpug

what an amusing comment "cramped girly car"

they're much the same size internally, a little narrower rear track, same to the MM at the front, smaller engine bay, pedal box is a tad smaller and due top the shorter engine bay and wheelbase the r/h arch does encroach on accelerator pedal space somewhat.

pedals aren't offset though, its the seat that isn't central to the steering wheel, just like the 205, 309, 306 :)

just as prone to corrosion it seems, chocolate gearboxes, rear beams expensive to rebuild, otherwise not bad cars.

Don't discount the S1 XSi, they come in 1360 and 1586 versions, essentially the S1 gti, S2 gti's are getting very cheap too.

Batfink

The 106 is a nice handling chassis, but the driver position and pedals can be a problem. The offset pedals certainly make left foot braking a doddle as the pedal is right by where you naturally want to place your foot, but the accelerator is horrible and I often find my foot naturally half on the wheel arch rather than fully on the pedal. Shoe choice is critical and the slimmer the better. You have to sit further back so your right knee clears the plastic steering column surround when you are moving from brake to accelerator and vis versa.

Tom Fenton

<Aimed at welshpug> I agree with most of what you say, but you cannot defend the cramped footwell of the 106/Saxo. There is plenty of room in a 205 in comparison. As much as I liked the S2 Rallye a friend had for a few years, with size 10 feet I don't think I could own one myself.

Edited by Tom Fenton

happygoron

I drove a 106 and a Saxo for years with size 12s, just need to use the side of your foor on the accelerator.

Baz
pedals aren't offset though, its the seat that isn't central to the steering wheel, just like the 205, 309, 306 :)

Don't discount the S1 XSi, they come in 1360 and 1586 versions, essentially the S1 gti, S2 gti's are getting very cheap too.

The pedals aren't spaced well though!

I had a '96 1.6 XSi for a while, it went like a scalded cat!

MrG

I'd second that, a good S1 (and keep it std please, no vtr conversion...) is excellent, I had a new one in the late 90's and it was fab.

DaveW

Come on it does look abit girly esp the S2 106 and yes i love pressing the brake pedal to change gear.

evo_works

lol bit of a varied reply. Been thinking of lots of different cars to buy and i keep you going back to the 205. Finding a nice one might be a mission in itself.

Dan.

number2301

I've had a ride in an S1 Rallye, wasn't impressed as it just felt a bit flat compared to a 205. Pretty much the same story with the 1.6 XSi my other half owned for a year as well.

Also of note, the 106s feel a lot more modern than a 205, so whether you like that or not (I don't) is a big deciding factor.

evo_works

Cheers for the replies so far. Im going to look at a red 205 on Thursday. Its advertised on here. Hopefully be as nice as it looks in the piccies

Dan

welshpug
I've had a ride in an S1 Rallye, wasn't impressed as it just felt a bit flat compared to a 205. Pretty much the same story with the 1.6 XSi my other half owned for a year as well.

Also of note, the 106s feel a lot more modern than a 205, so whether you like that or not (I don't) is a big deciding factor.

I take it they didn't take it over 5.5k, the little 1294cc S1 needs revs, but they love it.

Tom, I agree it take some getting used to, didn't find it an issue with size 11.5's as I just learnt to place my feet accuratly rather than mash the pedals :ph34r:

Though my brother with his size 13's took a while longer!

Edited by welshpug

pug_ham

As much as I'd like a 106 Rallye (S1 or S2) I'd still prefer to have a 205.

Finding a nice one might be a mission in itself.

You've already seen some haven't you?

To find a good one you have to spend a bit of money (£2k+) & be realistic about things such as number of owners etc.

Most 205's are around 20 years old & will have had high single figure or into double figures of owners, any less than five & they'll be priced accordingly imo.

Graham.

evo_works

Maybe i am expecting too much or as you say being unrealistic for my money. This red one looks promising though.

Dan.

blniasgti

I own both a D reg 205 1.9 GTi and a M reg 106 1.6 XSi but agree with most comments here and have handed the 106 to the misses to drive as i hate the pedal arrangement and always end up having my foot half on the wheelarch and half on the pedal.

Handling wise i feel the 205 has greater ability cornering at higher speed, the 106's backend seems to step out and let go sooner than the 205.

Acceleration wise the 205 beats the 106 and also has better power through out the rev range.

Me and the misses often have a little rally round the lanes following each other and i always end up pulling away from the 106 or up it's bumper !

But overall its down to personal opinion but again i agree with other comments regarding the looks of the 106 being "a bit girly" !

And the 205 always makes people stop and look as it's a classic car !

Fox

I've had the pleasure of owning a p1 106 Rallye, I bought it as a very scruffy rolling shell from a mate and built it back up.

100_2320.jpg

Edited by Fox