• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
nickaliath

200bhp Gti-6 Engine Tuning...

nickaliath

Hello all,

Just having some ideas for ways to get additional power from my gti-6 engine.

Im thinking 200bhp would be a nice amount of power, but what would be the most cost effective way to achieve this???

kyepan

there isn't really a cost effective way to do this.

you would need bodies, management and an inlet cam. And would be looking at the thick end of 2k.

also have a quick search, this has been covered in quite some depth in other posts.

J

CaptainK

Initially, I was aiming for the magic 200bhp (at the fly) with my GTi6 in my 205. Catcams inlet and exhaust combined (around £400) with a DTAS40 ECU (around £400) + Sandy & Colin ITBs (£650 + filter £100ish) and mapping (can't remember ££) got me pretty damned close to it - 160bhp at the WHEELS which is around 190-200bhp at the fly. But its awesome to drive now, so much midrange and low revs pull exactly as I asked Sandy for. Probably could have got over the magic 200bhp with my setup, but I wanted it setup for more low and midrange grunt instead of high revs power (which gives the higher BHP figures).

But my best advice for you would be to talk to Sandy and Colin and see what they can do for you :rolleyes:

TT205

Sorry mate, off topic but I just spotted in your sig that you used to have this:

Peugeot 205 GTI Rear engine RWD, Mi-16 Turbo

Do you have a project thread for this or piccies?

Spiky

i have 195-200 on jsut std engine and ITB's

i was VERY scared about fitting a cam, so never did,

you really need pocketed pistons to run cams and get the best out of them

bales

The most cost effective way of getting 200bhp would be nitrous however thats obviously not the same as having the power there all the time - but it is probably the cheapest.

Spiky

cheapest?

i have 200bhp ALL the time, to have 200bhp ALL the time using nitros would cost you a fortune :rolleyes:

nickaliath

ok, some interesting points made.

I was probably going to go down the forced induction route, i reckon a low pressure supercharger kit would see 200BHP??!!

ok, some interesting points made.

I was probably going to go down the forced induction route, i reckon a low pressure supercharger kit would see 200BHP??!!

Spiky

the lynx super charger (i'm getting one next :)) using std engine will give between 240-260bhp

Edited by Spiky

Anthony

... and the rest (around 240-250hp I think), but it's certainly not a cheap option once you've added everything up, assuming you're talking on of the Lynx Engineering conversions as Garry is using.

Spiky

3.5k :)

Batfink
cheapest?

i have 200bhp ALL the time, to have 200bhp ALL the time using nitros would cost you a fortune :)

Do they really make 25bhp more than mi16 engines on just throttlebodies??

Spiky

yip :)

M@tt

or a M45 charger off a mini-cooper as per AllanAllen/Madspikes.

Iirc Allans cost just over £1k to do and Allens saw 240bhp on our rolling road day. That 240 was achieved on the same rollers on the same day as 3 standard healthy gti6 engines which all made 160bhp give or take a few bhp (for comparison to the power difference rather than gospel bhp figures if you get what i mean)

Obvioulsy theres no bolt on kit and so requires some self fabrication of mounts etc but if you\mates have acces to the tools etc it can certainly be done for not alot more

Spiky

any pics of that?

Baz

Could just buy my bodies, management and loom that i have for sale... :)

:D

welshpug

The end cost depends a large amount on what work you are capable of carrying out yourself, it seems the key to getting reliable power is to build a decent bottom end and fit properly matched well setup induction systems as well as a decent exhaust system.

The same approach can be given to both the mi16 and gti6 engines (and to an extent the 8 valve engines, 16v xsi and 1.8 16v engines)

Dr Sarty's 2.2 engine build along with the majority of Sandy brown's engines seem to work very well along these lines as a basic starting point.

As mentioned, valve clearance is the main issue with this engine in particular, you can either get your pistons modified then re-fitted with a new set of rings bearings etc (as long as the bores are not worn out of spec) or fit aftermarket pistons which would solve any bore wear issues you may come across.

nickaliath

i think i will end up going down the turbo route, its a fimiliar conversion to me having done two turbo conversions.

im going to design and build my own manifold, which should save nearly £950.00

i think i could do the conversion for around £800.00 max ;) so not too bad really. that will be a low pressure system, aiming for around 220BHP flywheel power.

welshpug

you've forgotten about the ecu and mapping then ;)

DrSarty
you've forgotten about the ecu and mapping then ;)

And loom, and intercooler (charge cooler), and piping...

Edited by DrSarty

Miles

Bodies alone on a 6 engine I doubt you'll see much differance from the figure's I;ve seen and with a back to back with Sime's and OOJ both the power and torque figures where the same, 45mm Bodies and GTi6 inlet abit on Mi engine's both on the same rollers and same ECU and exhaust manifold

Batfink
Bodies alone on a 6 engine I doubt you'll see much differance from the figure's I;ve seen and with a back to back with Sime's and OOJ both the power and torque figures where the same, 45mm Bodies and GTi6 inlet abit on Mi engine's both on the same rollers and same ECU and exhaust manifold

what was that then ;)

nickaliath

no, thats included ;)

as its only low pressure im going to add a fifth injector with controller, similar to turbotechnics type.

welshpug

so how are you going to control the ignition side of it?

Sign in to follow this