• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lucas_lfc

Which Clutch Cable? Urgent!

lucas_lfc

Hi, so i currently own a late 89' model 205 1.6 gti and my clutch cable recently went. So i have bought two clutch cables for a 1.6 gti but they arent the right one, apparently there are many different ones.

So does anyone know which clutch cable is meant for a late 89' 1.6 gti??

any help appreciated

cheers

DrSarty

How do you select reverse - below fifth gear, or lift up collar and above first?

Near fifth is BE3 and the other is BE1.

The clutch pedal fittings are different too, so if neither of the cables you have fit, then you have a bit of mix and match going on, and will need to change your pedal to suit.

Edited by DrSarty

lucas_lfc
How do you select reverse - below fifth gear, or lift up collar and above first?

Near fifth is BE3 and the other is BE1.

The clutch pedal fittings are different too, so if neither of the cables you have fit, then you have a bit of mix and match going on, and will need to change your pedal to suit.

reverse is up near 1st gear, but i think when i ordered one the guy mentioned a be3 gearbox so maybe therefroe he ordered the wrong cable??

DrSarty

Well that might be your problem then.

(No need to quote Lucas if you're replying to the post just before :lol: ).

welshpug

That would indicate a BE1 cable is required, of which there are early and late types.

as far as I can see you need;

2150 99 - XU RIGHT HAND DRIVE EXCEPT POWER STEERING SINCE 07/1988

DrSarty
2150 99

That is the OE part number that Welshpug's suggesting, if you're buying from a main dealer. Only some motor factors or pattern parts will show any reference to this number.

lucas_lfc

i just went to my local peugeot dealer with that part number and they said they dont have that part on the system??

welshpug

doh, its a superseded part number, apologies for that :lol:

upon checking again, its 2150 97 you'll need, though you may not get one from them as they are marked NFP now, that's not to say they may have some in stock in the warehouses.

IIRC I got my last cable from GSF some time ago now.

Edited by welshpug

lucas_lfc

they actually had that part number on the computer...but its is marked NFP :lol:

so il get on to a few places tomorrow and see if they can get me this part fro anywhere

Anthony

Yup, as said it's a late BE1 clutch cable that you need, which helpfully, is different to the early BE1 cable and makes being supplied with the wrong part common.

GSF used to sell them, but unhelpfully, they only list one type of BE1 cable now as apparently being suitable for both early and late BE1 cars - which it won't be as the fitting where it goes into the pedal box is completely different. Without seeing one, I don't know whether it's an early or a late cable that they're selling - my guess is an early one.

(on a slight tangent, it's a bit worrying when Peugeot are now NFP on common parts like a clutch cable :lol:)

welshpug

oddly Ant the early BE1 cable is not marked NFP yet.

lucas_lfc

well thanks everyone anyhow...at least i now know which part i need (hopefully) so i hope i get the car back on the road soon enough

Sign in to follow this