• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
yeti-dj

Brand New 205 Gti Shell

yeti-dj

Hello, was a few weeks ago and i sadly missed the auction but was wondering if anyone on here won the brand new gti shell that was on ebay a few weeks ago,

i was going to stick in a bid of £1000 but got dragged to the pub and missed the end of the auction, gutted as it only went for £720!!!

anyone?

marksorrento205

I wondered how much that went for, I was only thinking bout it the other day. I was tempted myself as it was just up the road, but forgot about it :)

lfallgti

How was it brand new?

jord294

it was brand new, as in being BRAND NEW

i assume the seller had bought it as a project, but changed his mind.

it was just a bare shell, which had come straight from the factory back in the day

welshpug
How was it brand new?

Bare shell in primer no VIN number.

I'd be concerned about corrosion myself, as it would never have had a proper waterproof coating on it, all it had was the galv and primer.

At least its totally bare from anything and any issues can be spotted easily.

marksorrento205

I was going to have a look at it first.

Andy, did you ever go and see it? I thought you were going to have it tbh, as you showed interest on psooc, which is why I never bothered with it :P

jord294
I was going to have a look at it first.

Andy, did you ever go and see it? I thought you were going to have it tbh, as you showed interest on psooc, which is why I never bothered with it :P

the guy never got back to me :)

jimistdt

What would be the crack with that then once it got built up and registered, would it be Q plate or '10' if it were done this year?

marksorrento205
the guy never got back to me :)

Typical :P

marksorrento205
What would be the crack with that then once it got built up and registered, would it be Q plate or '10' if it were done this year?

Imagine a 205 on a '10' plate :P

grantley1988
Imagine a 205 on a '10' plate :P

Would confuse a few motorists! I would imagine it would be on a "10" plate though :)

welshpug

most likely to get a Q plate, or if you re-shelled another car you could use the original plate if enough of the parts were used (even if not, most people would just transfer a plate from another dead shell)

Baz

Yeah it'd be much simpler and less costly to re-shell and use the ID from the donor, it works on a points system dependant of how many bits used from the donor to qualify for the ID from the donor.

James Lumley had a brand new shell a few years ago, not sure if he still has it.

Batfink
Yeah it'd be much simpler and less costly to re-shell and use the ID from the donor, it works on a points system dependant of how many bits used from the donor to qualify for the ID from the donor.

James Lumley had a brand new shell a few years ago, not sure if he still has it.

Surely thats the shell he used for his new rally car - whatever happened to it I dont know as he never updated this site on whether it got finished

Ryan

You keep the reg of the original car if you use a brand new shell.

To get a 10-reg you'd have to build the whole car from mostly new parts. It's only a Q if you build one car out of two (or more), such as using a used shell.

Edited by Ryan

SurGie

I thought Q plate was because they do not know the year of manufacture ?

Ryan

Q plates cover a lot of things - cars where you can't find or can't prove the age, cars built from multiple donors where you didn't use enough bits from one car to keep its ID, that sort of thing. It's basically anything that doesn't fit into the other categories.

Baz
Surely thats the shell he used for his new rally car - whatever happened to it I dont know as he never updated this site on whether it got finished

Nope, 'Evo' with the ex Touring car Longman engine was built from the same car he already had, he never did anything with the new shell afaik, and was in storage.

JamesLumley
Nope, 'Evo' with the ex Touring car Longman engine was built from the same car he already had, he never did anything with the new shell afaik, and was in storage.

Yup I'm still here, just not updated my build thread in a while.

Business comitments are currently taking all my time but I hope with some luck to get the new rally car finished off this winter.

My "brand new" shell is still in long term storage up in Oxfordshire, haven't seen it for 12 months or so hope she's ok!

Baz

Ahh you are still lurking then James! Be good to see you back out on the stages next year(? :() then! :D

Henry Yorke

Lots of people have had it and sold it on, which makes it seem a bit dodgy to me. My brother was told about it when it was in Nottingham and was offered it for £300 and he said he would have it. Next thing it was on eBay and had sold :) If it had a log book I am sure it would be up to about 6 owners by now!!

harryskid

If it was brand new why was it soo cheap? :lol:

welshpug

they never were that expensive.

harryskid
they never were that expensive.

In that case i wish there were more around! :lol:

yeti-dj

guessing it will probably be the last time you see one on Ebay for a while,

there was a guy a while ago selling brand new 205,405 and 306 shells but no gti versions, pretty sure the 205 was for about £1000 but i may be wrong..

really not happy i missed it at that price but who knows what the winning bidders max was???