• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
huxley309

Tud3

huxley309

I have just got me a little metro with this tiny little lump inside for an engine, it's for work so mpg should be rather stellar.

Anyway i've heard they're prone for hg faliure from what i can gather this is just down to them being ragged and overheating, is this true?

Also any idea where i can adjust the idle, it's a bit low so rattles the car a bit, otherwise it's unhurt as it's done just 17k so should make for quite a nice workhorse.

Any other little niggles i should be aware of?

Seems i just can't get away from the pug fold. :wacko:

welshpug

sure its not a TUD5? never knew they used the TUD3 in them.

I know the TUD5 is certainly a sturdy engine, I've had one and given it a hard time, and my mate has one for the past 3 years and given it a very thorough thrashing.

the older TUD3 is an alloy block diesel with liners just like the TU and alloy XU's, bust as with them they're no K-series! make sure the cooling system works and has the correct coolant/antifreze mix and they'll be fine.

tickover you'd adjust on the fuel pump, there are several screws and it depends whether it has a lucas/roto-diesel pump or a Bosch unit.

huxley309

It's most certainly a tud3, a 1.4 to be precise, totally mint condition and got a fair bit of grunt i might say certainly a good workhorse unit.

Fuel unit is a a lucas cav i believe, so where is the fuel pump, let me guess bolted to the engine?

What do i adjust if this is the case.

Edited by huxley309

huxley309

Ok now it's being a bit hesitant and likes stalling, my guess it's not the glow plugs any ideas what it could be?

Im thinking of filling up with some vpower diesel just to blow any crap out, either that or millers poer diesel additive.

Anyone?

welshpug

sounds like an air leak.

huxley309

Hmm. i'll look at the fuel lines soon as it dries up. It was a pain to start at one point.

Edited by huxley309

welshpug

pretty simple beasts tbh, don't even need spark :)

common places for them to suck air in is the injector leakoff pipes, not sure which filter housing the TUD3 has, some were prone to leaking air on the primer bulb if they were in the top of the filter housing.

huxley309

Primer bulb, do you mean the grenade priming pump, it's on it's own to the side of the engine, haven't seen where the filter housing is but there's nothing near the grenade.

And where are the injector leak off pipes, im guessing that's the fuel return feed?

Edited by huxley309

welshpug

ahh it has the later type priming bulb then.

have a guess where the injector leakoff pipes are :) ......

huxley309

Knowing peugeot it'll be somewhere inaccessible, then again knowing how sarky you seem today im guessing it's on the injectors. :)

Edited by huxley309

huxley309

Ok mate i think i've found it, there is indeed quite a bit of air in the line, and lo and behold the grenade has a bit of derv on the outside.

Cheers mate looks like a trip to the scrappy come tomorrow. :)

Btw is priming difficult, is it grenade time or can i just keep cranking the engine.

Oh also the grenade looks like it's trying to invert itself, im guessing from an air leak.

Edited by huxley309

DrSarty

Welcome back Hux. Out of the frying pan... :)

huxley309

And into pug ownership, yeah tell me bout it lol. :)

Edited by huxley309

huxley309

Ok i think i've sorted out the worst of the niggles, the derv filter was weeping so changed that there is also a bolt at the back of the lucas cav pump that was dripping, tightened that as far as i felt comfortable.

Checked the strainer which is in the filler neck so that won't be a problem, the holy hand grenade is still trying to invert on itself, i think this is the source of the main air leak, i have however reduced whatever air was in the fuel so that's a good thing.

I'll take the damned grenade off tomorrow, i swear if i still get air in the engine i'll lose the plot lol.

The fuel lines underneath looks fine, no dings or kinks anywhere, on top of the diesel filter block/unit i could hear air coming out from what can be described as a plastic cross stuck in a hose with a copper washer behind it, anyway it was weeping some derv and hissing, it's now hushed up and stopped weeping.

So hopefully come tomorrow that'll be the end of my problems, trouble is the car being 17k miles was laid up for a while, so lots of little niggles that need sorting.

Nice that i finally know how a diesel engine works, on glow plugs will be changed asap, they look original so are a bit rusty. :ph34r:

huxley309

Ok found the source of the leak, the outlet pipe from the filter assembly rotates very easily, i slapped a second jubilee clip on and it's better, i'll still need a better pipe but now there's little to no air in the system.

As for the bolt on the back of the pump, i'll put some threadlock on the last couple threads to hush it up.

The filler neck is rusted to buggery, i've cleaned it up and plastered it in underseal, i'll look at getting a replacement asap.

So looks like that's it for now, should give better mpg again now the leaks have been fixed.

Edited by huxley309

huxley309

Seems like the air leak is still there, i have now traced it down to the diesel filter block/assembly.

Anyone replaced one of there, the air bleed valve appears to work as it should but i get diesel leaking from the top of the filter despite it being oe.

Anyone had such a thing happen, my reckoning is there's crap gummed up inside and it's upsetting things.

Help!!!