• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
McDude

Confusing Oil Leak

McDude

My Pug has developed a major oil leak, but the problem is I can't see where the hell it's coming from.

The front of the engine is clean, no leaks at all adn nothing coming out of the breather system. The sump, sump plug and all around is good and all I can see is that it is coming from somewhere at the back of the engine.

The dipstick hole is not leaking where it meets the engine and the tube is not snapped or elaking at the top. The top of the engine around the cam and head are leak free too. Nothing coming out the dizzy.

So where the chuff is this oil coming from? It doesn't smell like gearbox oil and the sump oil is going down in accordance with the leak.

It is dripping onto the driveshaft (long one) and then getting spun across the engine bay making it really hard to pinpoint. But it is really coming out as the cross rail behind the engine is soaked in oil.

Any suggestions? Is there a bung or sensor hidden away near the bulkhead? It is really tricky to see and I don't have access to ramps to get in underneath so I'm doing this using the force.

Thanks in advance wise forum dudes.

welshpug

could be the thermostat housing gasket, the camshaft goes through it to the dizzy, there's an oil drain through the housing back into the head.

CosKev

Head gasket,under manifold :)

Edited by CosKev

TT205

Have you had the head off recently and not refitted the 'long spacer' and fubar'd it? :D

welshpug
Have you had the head off recently and not refitted the 'long spacer' and fubar'd it? :D

that will give a coolant leak not an oil leak.

McDude
could be the thermostat housing gasket, the camshaft goes through it to the dizzy, there's an oil drain through the housing back into the head.

It doesn't look like it is up that high, but I will check.

Dazza

Has it got tht fibre washers under the three bolts on the cam cover ? failing that cam cover gasket .

mikeygulley
So where the chuff is this oil coming from? It doesn't smell like gearbox oil and the sump oil is going down in accordance with the leak.

It is dripping onto the driveshaft (long one) and then getting spun across the engine bay making it really hard to pinpoint. But it is really coming out as the cross rail behind the engine is soaked in oil.

It might be coming from the crank seal? <_< maybe take the pulley off and have ganders.

Vili
My Pug has developed a major oil leak, but the problem is I can't see where the hell it's coming from.

The front of the engine is clean, no leaks at all adn nothing coming out of the breather system. The sump, sump plug and all around is good and all I can see is that it is coming from somewhere at the back of the engine.

The dipstick hole is not leaking where it meets the engine and the tube is not snapped or elaking at the top. The top of the engine around the cam and head are leak free too. Nothing coming out the dizzy.

Any suggestions? Is there a bung or sensor hidden away near the bulkhead? It is really tricky to see and I don't have access to ramps to get in underneath so I'm doing this using the force.

Thanks in advance wise forum dudes.

I would check if leak is coming from cam cover gasket or cam seal at the cambelt end.

Sign in to follow this