• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Anyone Had A Mount Go After About 10miles?

pugpete1108

i think my bbm gearbox mount is shagged after about ten miles?

i have developed a bad juddering under acceleration and the gearstick hits me in the leg :huh:

coasts perfectly smooth with the clutch down its just when i gass it.?

i have removed the mount and it doesnt look bad but it does appear that the top metal ring has started to come away from the rubber but only slightly.

could it be a duff batch of rubber that went into it? as when mounted you can wobble the engine using one finger on the centre bolt for the mount.

i have just ordered a std one which will be fitted tomorrow ,i am hoping its the cause otherwise it wont be making the 3hr journey to pugfest :P

welshpug

sounds like the rear engine mount is worn out too?

pugpete1108
sounds like the rear engine mount is worn out too?

thats a bbm solid rubber one too and that appears to be ok from what i can see.

Paul_13

Engine fork bushe?

Inner CV joint worn?

Clutch friction plate separated from rivets?

dsc00670i.th.jpg

Only kidding, I gave that abuse for that to happen :lol:

Simes

Likely to be a driveshaft.

Masekwm

Could it be the spindle that goes through the mount? Mine was shagged and had to be replaced

pugpete1108
Likely to be a driveshaft.

i do hope not.

its not exactly vibration, more like the front end of the car shaking about but as i said i coasts fine?.if it was driveshaft surely it would do it all the time? not just under light acceleration. but it does increase when i give it more gas though.

the gearstick has a good 6 inches of travel when its doing it.

the clutch is brand new and is not slipping or anything.

and i did check the bolt and it looks ok, nice and tight and not wobbly.

just had a read up and it could be the bellhousing is loose from the block. on a quick inspection it appears to have lost one of the top bolts :lol: and this could well explain the dodgy starter probs i have been having (just turning and grinding and not turning the engine over)

please please just be that as i cant be doing with forking out for new driveshafts grrrr

Edited by pugpete1108

boldy205

If you can move the engine that much then its engine mounts, or where the mounts bolf too, as welhpug said, even with two good mounts you should not be able to move the engine this much with one finger. Do you have the original mounts you can put on to try?

matt

boldy205

If you can move the engine that much then its engine mounts, or where the mounts bolf too, as welhpug said, even with two good mounts you should not be able to move the engine this much with one finger. Do you have the original mounts you can put on to try?

matt

Yikes, i just read your last post properly! 'Bellhousing bolts' thats nasty!!

pugpete1108

matt

Yikes, i just read your last post properly! 'Bellhousing bolts' thats nasty!!

im gonna go over the whole lot tomorrow, i have a new std mount im gonna try anyway and go over all the bolts and locktight them.

james_pug

If you need any help i can come over Saturday morning and give you a hand? I have a spare bbm lower bush sat in my tool box if needed also can probly find some bolts suitable for the bell housing of you get stuck

pugpete1108
If you need any help i can come over Saturday morning and give you a hand? I have a spare bbm lower bush sat in my tool box if needed also can probly find some bolts suitable for the bell housing of you get stuck

cheers james, i might have to take you up on that.

i have a new bbm lower anyway the only thing i can think of is it my be the actual fork bush that has gone along with the g/box one.

hoping its just the loose bellhousing bolts though.

GTI6BOY

I had a similar problem. While moving gearstick was moving left to right massively

was a broken driveshaft

TT205

^^^ me too

Simes

I had a similar thing,

90 miles into a 2000mile euro trip and I was getting some vibrations at motorway speeds going up a hill, I chose to ignore it.

On the return leg I happen to give it some beans going up a slip road after leaving the Alps. There was loud noise followed by wobbling of the car like you've experienced.

We limped to a local garage (saturday in rural france) obviously they commented on its beauty!

It was checked over and safe to continue home to the UK.

There were still vibrations but nothing as bad as before, I suspect when the car was lifted of its wheels something 'fell' back into place.

We drove home fine.

Replaced the shaft and the vibration disappeared.

Daz_C
i have removed the mount and it doesnt look bad but it does appear that the top metal ring has started to come away from the rubber but only slightly.

could it be a duff batch of rubber that went into it? as when mounted you can wobble the engine using one finger on the centre bolt for the mount.

Not much point asking us about the above, we didn't make it !

Have you phoned Stew and aired your concerns with him ?

pugpete1108
Not much point asking us about the above, we didn't make it !

Have you phoned Stew and aired your concerns with him ?

eh???

i take it you got my email off the bbm website?

is there two different people making and selling these then?

pugpete1108
I had a similar problem. While moving gearstick was moving left to right massively

was a broken driveshaft

^^^ me too

I had a similar thing,

90 miles into a 2000mile euro trip and I was getting some vibrations at motorway speeds going up a hill, I chose to ignore it.

On the return leg I happen to give it some beans going up a slip road after leaving the Alps. There was loud noise followed by wobbling of the car like you've experienced.

We limped to a local garage (saturday in rural france) obviously they commented on its beauty!

It was checked over and safe to continue home to the UK.

There were still vibrations but nothing as bad as before, I suspect when the car was lifted of its wheels something 'fell' back into place.

We drove home fine.

Replaced the shaft and the vibration disappeared.

just in case, what driveshaft is it likely to be? it does feel like the passnger side hence why i went for the mount.

Paul_13

Any more bolts missing Pete?

I've got to start using threadlock aswell ;)

Hope you get this sorted before Sunday

pugpete1108
Any more bolts missing Pete?

I've got to start using threadlock aswell :D

Hope you get this sorted before Sunday

dunno it got too dark to check ;)

i'll fit the std mount then jack her up and have a look. i did check the starter bolts and they were tight.

i bet it turns out to be a driveshaft. grrr. looks like i will be changing one before saturday then.

Paul_13

If your in need of the long 1.9 driveshaft, i've got a GKN one sat in shed. It's missing the intermediate shaft and bearing but all the important bits are there.

If you need the other, there a set down scrap yard ;)

pugpete1108
If your in need of the long 1.9 driveshaft, i've got a GKN one sat in shed. It's missing the intermediate shaft and bearing but all the important bits are there.

If you need the other, there a set down scrap yard ;)

cheers mate but if thats what it is i will buy new (well recon) ones to save this happening again hopefully. im running a 1.6 setup anywho.

Daz_C

My point was, nobody on the forum other than Stew(BBM) will be able to guess if a mount you bought off him 10 miles ago was made from a "duff batch of rubber" or whether there is an issue with the top metal ring coming away.

If you contacted Stew I'm sure he'd have sorted out any problems or issues you had with his products prior to you questioning the quality of the product on the forum.

pugpete1108

just to clear this up before anyone else gets their knickers in a twist.

there is NOTHING wrong with the mount, i was just clutching at straws and went for the mount first, my bad.

i put a std one on and it is still the same.

end of.

thanks for the advice though guys.

i have decided to take it back off the road and fit a new box (lower rear bolt thread has pulled out) and go for a 1.9 setup with some bigger brakes as mine are terrible.

Rich_p

I'vce had a similar issue in 2 different 309's.

The first was a bent drive shaft. That made the gearstick wobble terribly all the time.

On my current car it was doing it as you accelerated, that turned out to be the top mount, it was in 2 pieces but it looked fine when just sat there.

I'd say it's worth popping the top engine mount off and checking.

Sign in to follow this