• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
grantley1988

Speeding Letter Just Came Through The Post :(

grantley1988

Damn you 205 speedo!

As most of you are aware the 205 speedo is not great, mine jumps around like a nutter on lsd! I got flashed by a camera doing 36mph :lol:

Its a road i go past every day from work to my flat. Had a feeling it flashed me. As its my first, i will do the speed awareness course.

Any one been to one? bet there boring as hell!

swordfish210

Thats a bummer. My mate went to the speed awarness course, he said they show you a few crashes, then a few fatal crashes, then a few victims of fatal crashes. TBH the whole thing sounds like a massive downer with virtually no comedy.

When i got caught they wouldn't let me go on that because they said i was going too fast :huh: This confused me a little as the awarness course is proven to reduce a drivers potential to speed on the road so they should have made me do it. Just goes to show they are more interested in taking your money than reducing speeding.

SurGie

And speeding is suppose to be funny isn't it ? ^^

Edited by SurGie

kyepan

remember sports fans... SPEED THRILLS... no wait.. that's not right.

swordfish210
And speeding is suppose to be funny isnt it ? ^^

I was going to write a reply to that but i'm not sure what you're getting at due to the grammar you have used.

happygoron
When i got caught they wouldn't let me go on that because they said i was going too fast :huh: This confused me a little as the awarness course is proven to reduce a drivers potential to speed on the road so they should have made me do it. Just goes to show they are more interested in taking your money than reducing speeding.

The argument is that the punishment should fit the crime. They introduced the courses to counter the argument that lits of perfectly safe slow old ladies were being unfairly given points/fines for drifting slightly over the limit.

SurGie
TBH the whole thing sounds like a massive downer with virtually no comedy.

Comedy ?

These speed awareness days are not there for people to have a laugh, are they ?

Goliath

Is that the camera just past my house?

swordfish210
The argument is that the punishment should fit the crime. They introduced the courses to counter the argument that lits of perfectly safe slow old ladies were being unfairly given points/fines for drifting slightly over the limit.

Don't get me wrong i see both side of the argument i just don't think it should be as black and white as it is i.e. you were going this fast so you get points but you were going this fast so you have to attend a course.

I think the courses are effective and a good idea and i believe they are more of a deterant than points so more people should be made to take them.

swordfish210
Comedy ?

These speed awareness days are not there for people to have a laugh, are they ?

Surgie, don't be such a douche. It was a joke, sorry for not littering my post with emoticons but i have a very dry sense of humour and that reply was meant to be tongue in cheek. Here maybe this well help you get the point

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol getting it now? lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol how about now? lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol will that be enough?

happygoron
Don't get me wrong i see both side of the argument i just don't think it should be as black and white as it is i.e. you were going this fast so you get points but you were going this fast so you have to attend a course.

I think the courses are effective and a good idea and i believe they are more of a deterant than points so more people should be made to take them.

The problem is the law has to be pretty black and white. Add abiguity and you add loopholes. Sadly the line has to be drawn somewhere. The solution is discretion in the application of the law. Sadly it's pretty had to program cameras to have this feature, so you need to get pulled over next time!

BERTMAN

Comedy is being offered the course, sleeping through it and then getting the points and fine anyway!! I do like my sleep.

grantley1988
Is that the camera just past my house?

Not that one, further along by the police station....

swordfish210
The problem is the law has to be pretty black and white. Add abiguity and you add loopholes. Sadly the line has to be drawn somewhere. The solution is discretion in the application of the law. Sadly it's pretty had to program cameras to have this feature, so you need to get pulled over next time!

Good point, i would actually rather see more traffic cops on the road than i would camers as at least they can use common sense when pulling someone over. I remember coming back from Scotland once when i accidently overtook an unmarked police car on the M6 while doing about 80mph, the motorway was so dead and because i indicated to change lanes he didn't bat an eyelid and just let me carry on my way.

grantley1988
Good point, i would actually rather see more traffic cops on the road than i would camers as at least they can use common sense when pulling someone over. I remember coming back from Scotland once when i accidently overtook an unmarked police car on the M6 while doing about 80mph, the motorway was so dead and because i indicated to change lanes he didn't bat an eyelid and just let me carry on my way.

Fair point, I was driving back from london late one night. The motorway was dead. I was driving at 80ish mph in the middle lane and an unmarked car speed up beside me, then got infront and a police slow message came on. He then moved to the slow lane and nodded at me to go on. At least there are some policemen using commen sence.

SurGie
Surgie, don't be such a douche. It was a joke, sorry for not littering my post with emoticons but i have a very dry sense of humour and that reply was meant to be tongue in cheek. Here maybe this well help you get the point

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol getting it now? lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol how about now? lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol will that be enough?

Not quite mate, maybe 20 more should do the trick :huh:.

Middle lane hoggers are everywhere, even on quiet motorways :P.

Edited by SurGie

grantley1988
Middle lane hoggers are everywhere, even on quiet motorways :huh:.

:P

muddatrucker

I am an absolute saint when it comes to lane discipline, I find it makes a motorway journey less boring.

Paul_13

My dad did it and he said it was a waste of time...

I had to do a driver improvement course after the silly crash in the 205, they taught how to drive safe but quick down country roads. How to drive on a motorway properly and generally help improve my driving. It was a good few years back now but I tell you what; Why the hell did they not teach me that in my test?

Doing that course was a billion times more helpfull/better than the driving test/lessons.

They did show you a couple of gruesome videos such as a taxi driver not wearing his seatbelt and getting his head chopped off by the window frame when he flew out of the seat into the back after he had fallen asleep... That was striking

Simes
My dad did it and he said it was a waste of time...

I've done it too and found it very informative, I learnt that I'd been under speeding on country roads and dual carriage ways where the national speed limit sign is present. :lol:

For the addtional £40 on top of the fine and 3 hours of my time I'm happy to go on the course rather than receive points.

Henry Yorke
How to drive on a motorway properly and generally help improve my driving. It was a good few years back now but I tell you what; Why the hell did they not teach me that in my test?

Doing that course was a billion times more helpfull/better than the driving test/lessons.

2 weeks after I passed my test quite a few years ago, I took another lesson with my driving instructor for motorway driving. It is something I will make sure my kids do as well as it was useful.

Veero

Wish they'd let me do the course when I had mine, but it was probably too fast. 4 cocking years is long enough to have a certain stigma on your licence. And now they want £20 to take it off my licence. I've done my time you bastards. <_<

Rich_p
Wish they'd let me do the course when I had mine, but it was probably too fast. 4 cocking years is long enough to have a certain stigma on your licence. And now they want £20 to take it off my licence. I've done my time you bastards. :lol:

I'm in the same situation too, annoying isn't it!

Is it 3 or 5 years they stay on for?

GLPoomobile
2 weeks after I passed my test quite a few years ago, I took another lesson with my driving instructor for motorway driving. It is something I will make sure my kids do as well as it was useful.

I also did the same thing. It was the Passplus thing. Only did it to get a discount on my insurance and it was a total waste of money, as a} the course was rubbish and taught me nothing beyond what I already knew or had learned on normal driving lessons, and B} I never got a discount as only the mainstream (read: expensive) insurers did it, whereas the insurer I went with gave the best quote without taking the Passplus in to consideration. So it was over a hundred quid to do the course for a bit of paper that never did anything.

But it's different strokes for different folks. Some people may find the motorway lessons really useful, but for me I've always found motorway driving the easiest kind of driving. I just took to it like a duck to water.

The other thing that pissed me off about Passplus was that they were supposed to teach you about bad weather driving and night time driving. I appreciate it's a bit difficult to give someone experience of driving in snow when it's the winter, but they didn't even take me out at night. I just spent a few hours driving up and down the motorway. Yawn.

Edited by GLPoomobile

wracing

on your licence for 3 year, insurance companies take into account for 5 years.

James