• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kentish_lad

Xy8 Twin Carb

kentish_lad

having just brought my first 205 an xs 1.4 with the xy8 engine the first thing and respectfully owner should do is bolt in some huge cams and one serious exhaust manifold to get it running properly ,only thing is i cant find any engine parts for this car atall any help guys would be much apreciated

j_turnell

The XY8 is a pig of an engine tbh and was only used on the early pre 88 models. Runs twin single choke webers, 80bhp iirc. With regard tuning im not aware of any bolt on mods really, personally id give it a good service and get the carbs setup and some filters put on, just dont get socks as they will loose power, getting it on the rolling road is worth while also.

Henry Yorke

This engine was replaced with the lighter and more powerful TU3S engine in the 88 on XS's. In all honesty this would be a better base engine to look to upgrade as the XY series was quite an old design. However, give it a service and a set up and enjoy the sound of the twin carbs! I am not sure if you can fit bigger carbs to it easily as you should be able to pull more than 80 bhp out of it if Peugeot managed 100bhp on the Euro Rallye with a 1300 engine

pug_ham

Moved into the correct engine section, an XS has a TU engine.

Graham.

welshpug

not this one Graham :) though the Tu section is more apt I agree :)

104 ZS had this engine with a twin 40 setup IIRC, that was about 80 bhp.

j_turnell
This engine was replaced with the lighter and more powerful TU3S engine in the 88 on XS's. In all honesty this would be a better base engine to look to upgrade as the XY series was quite an old design. However, give it a service and a set up and enjoy the sound of the twin carbs! I am not sure if you can fit bigger carbs to it easily as you should be able to pull more than 80 bhp out of it if Peugeot managed 100bhp on the Euro Rallye with a 1300 engine

The tu3s is a much better starting block however the engine mounts are different iirc so it wont be a 'drop in' affair.

kentish_lad

but if i were to buy engine mounts from a later tu3 car this would make it a drop in replacement or are they completly diffrent ??

swordfish210
but if i were to buy engine mounts from a later tu3 car this would make it a drop in replacement or are they completly diffrent ??

I think the chassis mounts and subframe are different so no, get a pic up of the engine bay so we can compare the mounting points.

gerallt_p

I have an XS with a XY8 in it, I can unfortunately confirm that the mounts are different, on the xy8 the front drivers side mount is located lower on the inside wing than the TU . It is the same engine that was used in the old Talbot Samba, I have recently purchased a Samba engine with a polished head and high lift camms, so there are modifications which can be done but parts are very rare.

PS. dont break the engine mounts like Ive done recently either as their a pig to get hold of so Im going to make one myself!

Gerallt

kentish_lad

i have looked at these samba things and they seem to be raced a little if i was able to find exhaust manifolds and things would these fit ??

gerallt_p

not sure about the exhaust manifold, havent really compared the manifolds but I cant see much differences in them, from memory they do look similar but the angle of the system might differ since the exaust is so close to the bulckhead?

RossD

The basic design of the old XY8 is actually very similar to the TU engine, apart from the obviousl like how its mounted at 72 degrees and has the gearbox in the sump mini-style. Put it this way, you can see which engine was used as the basis of the design of the TU lump :(

welshpug

this had a 1360 XY engine afaik...

4725901050_b040c76e94_m.jpg

:(

batespeed

this company used to tune sambas (and the tu engine too) get in touch , they should be able to point you in the right direction, might even have some old tuning bits for the xy engine or at least tell you if they are still available.

http://www.ladmotorsport.co.uk/

gerallt_p

it was LAD that done the head and uprated camms on my engine, thanks for the link, ive been meaning to look for their website for a while :lol:

Dont worry to much about the power though, the sound of the twin 35's is eniugh to make you smile ;)

Henry Yorke

Gutmann used to make some tuning bits for these too