• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
donkeymatt

Raffles - Gentry Track Conversion

donkeymatt

After moving out to France I decided to look for a project. I wanted a car where parts were easily available, and easy to work on, to be used on the track, but still staying road legal so I can get to the circuit. I have limited mechanical skills, so this is my idea of trying to learn! After a few months of searching, and several very dodgy cars (and owners) visited, I chanced upon a Gentry in good condition, so snatched it up straight away! Project "Raffles" was born (name taken from the Viz character "the gentleman thug")!!

The car when I bought it (after a polish):

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

New fluids, brake lines and pads ready for the first track shakedown:

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_4115.jpg

The first track outing at La Ferté Gaucher - to the east of Paris.

DSC_0144.jpg

DSC_0139.jpg

The car ran well, and braked like a dream!

The issues I found were it wallowed a bit in the corners (possibly the standard setup), and a tapping from under the right hand side of the car in a long left hander....which I think is the driveshaft.

Next stop driveshaft change!

Guest NickH

Sweet car!

It has an automatic transmission right? How's that working out on the track?

Nick

Henry Yorke

Euro Gentrys are manual Nick.

You want to look for a GTI rear anti roll bar and new track control arms are pretty cheap too and worth replacing as they include new ball joints and bushes

donkeymatt

I had read that the Gentry was automatic as well, so my heart dropped when I saw the badge as the last owner turned up with it. As Henry said though, I was pleasantly suprised finding out it had a manual box fitted!

Guest NickH

Nice!

How's the DFZ engine performing on the track? I have that engine in my Rallye, it's still in the garage, but I want to go on the track with the Rallye.... someday..

Henry Yorke
Nice!

How's the DFZ engine performing on the track? I have that engine in my Rallye, it's still in the garage, but I want to go on the track with the Rallye.... someday..

The engine is a little sluggish and not really a revver but has a decent amount of torque and a good short gearbox. Engines are pretty strong as thrashing doesn't really help their performance so they tend to be in good condition. They benefit for a turbo being whacked on the back of them with no internal mods! Mine pulls 164bhp on half a bar of boost :)

donkeymatt

Right, time for an update...

Safety First! After doing a bit of research on the forum and around the net, I decided a Safety Devices C44 cage would be the first big mod to the car. So after scrabbling away my pennies, and finding my nuts, I finally made the call to AB motorsport.

I drove back to the UK from Paris, with only one incident - much to the suprise of everyone in the queue for the ferry as the rather smart little 205 disappeared in a cloud of steam...turned out I had cross-threaded the radiator filler cap while filling it a stupid o'clock in the morning!

Loosely bolted together in the garage:

IMG_1355.jpg

Front mount welded in:

IMG_1359.jpg

Rear mount welded in:

IMG_1360.jpg

Rear view:

IMG_1361.jpg

Door bars:

IMG_1362.jpg

Looking mean!

IMG_1366.jpg

I would love to say it slotted in like a dream with no issues, but to be honest, it took me about 4 days of unfitting, refitting, unfitting, cutting, refitting etc. until I got it just right. Better to do this then make a bodge job though... measure twice (or fifty times) cut once and all that! Anyway, really happy with the end result, will see how it has changed the setup on my next track outing.

Will need to spend some time putting the dash back together, as I had to cut large strips out of it to fit the overhead bars, which go almost up to the bulkhead.

My next plan is to smarten up the interior - Grind out and respray the inside the same color as the outside, and make up some doorcards from ally. Watch this space!

Pugnut

great car and project. I don't know if its all in my head, but i'de feel much safer with some proper bucket seats in there. It just doesn't look right.

not bad welding and what seems to be an incredibly rot free shell.

donkeymatt
great car and project. I don't know if its all in my head, but i'de feel much safer with some proper bucket seats in there. It just doesn't look right.

not bad welding and what seems to be an incredibly rot free shell.

Completely agree, but no more pennies left! Will be attempting some projects which don't (shouldn't) need money while I save up for the seats!

Kobayashi

very nice!

i feel a bit sorry for the car to be stripped out and raced, because it seems to have been in very good condition.

Edited by Kobayashi

donkeymatt

No need to worry - I have boxed up everything as I have taken it out - the only thing to replace will be the dash, now I have put the rollcage in - should anyone want to take it back to original spec!