• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Adie_89

Peugeot 205 Gti Wont Start!

Adie_89

Hi

Right then, I replaced the head gasket on my 1.6 gti and while the head was off i stripped it down cleaned it, had it skimmed, reground the valves etc and replaced the valve stem seals. Put the head back on the car and put everything together, timed it up etc and now it wont start! Its getting a spark and fuel!

I dont think ive missed anything ive gone through the engine bay so many times just looking for anything suspicious and cant seem to find anything!

Any one got any ideas??

Thanks, Adie

pugpete1108

have you put the dizzy on the right way round? i didn't when running my 8v. it gets spark but not at the right time obviously.

Adie_89
have you put the dizzy on the right way round? i didn't when running my 8v. it gets spark but not at the right time obviously.

well we have tried the dizzy in all types of postions and has not made differance and it is in the right way round! :lol:

miamichris

I'm going to have to place my bets on your ignition leads being in the wrong places!

...Not that its ever happened to me though :lol: 1-3-4-2 anticlockwise, check and double check them.

GG205rob

Number 1 being flywheel end, opposite to normal, bloody french :angry:

woodsy

Have you got compression :(

GLPoomobile

Can we have a better explanantion of the problem please?

Is the starter turning?

Does the engine catch on the starter and fire/try to fire up?

Is it spluttering?

Will it run with plenty of throttle but die with no throttle?

Etc etc

Basically, be more specific and we might be able to narrow it down.

Adie_89

Pretty sure all the leads are on the right order

Yes its got compression

yes the starter is turning over

Its trying to fire up but its just not happening the engine just keeps turing over then evently floods!

This Narrow it down for you? :)

woodsy

Are you sure your getting a decent spark, have you tried new plugs if everthing else is spot on

dobbo26

Did you check the valve clearence?

giveitsomebar

cam timing could be a tooth check that and ignition timing also check the blue plug at the back of the block is on properly

rescue dude
cam timing could be a tooth check that and ignition timing also check the blue plug at the back of the block is on properly

I'd go for cam timing too.

A mate of mine had this problem on a mini and after a good look round he'd timed it 180 degrees out. DOH !!! :)

miamichris
I'd go for cam timing too.

A mate of mine had this problem on a mini and after a good look round he'd timed it 180 degrees out. DOH !!! :P

This happened to me with my Xs when I rebuilt the head last year, couldn't figure it out for ages what was wrong but there were two holes in the flywheel to lock the crank and I had the wrong one so it was 180 degrees out, nearly reached for the rope trying to get that sorted out! :P

spark-plug

i had this problem a few weeks ago in the end it was the cable comig off the dizzy which i think primes the pump i wigled it and it ran! havent had a problem since and or make sure its conected :P

Sign in to follow this