• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bouver

1.6 Cti Sump

bouver

I am having sump problems!

The engine in my 1989 Cti is supposed to be a 1.6.

I know the 1.9 has a spacer plate/strengthener and it has never had one of these on it.

I need to replace the sump, and the one sold to me as being a 1.6 gti one wont fit! It is just not deep enough.

Does anyone know if they are different? I am beginning to suspect someone sold me one off a diesel.

pugpete1108

pretty sure all 8v sumps are the same.

just the 1.9's having the spacer plate thats all.

alync406

I would say one of a diesel would probably fit.I would say the one you got must be of a 1.9 as they have a shallower sump because they have the spacer plate.I am pretty sure a 1.6 sump will fit a 1.9 without using the spacer plate.

Henry Yorke

a 1.9 CTI has a 1.6 sump. If it won't fit then I guess you need one of the block strengthers / spacers

pug_ham
pretty sure all 8v sumps are the same.

No they aren't, the 1.6 & 1.9 GTI sumps are different, the 1.9 sump being shallower by approx the 10mm of the stifener plate.

Other XU engined Pugs (inc diesels) can also have a different sized sump to the 1.6 with deeper sides so you really need to source the same sump as the one you are replacing.

Graham.

pugpete1108
No they aren't, the 1.6 & 1.9 GTI sumps are different, the 1.9 sump being shallower by approx the 10mm of the stifener plate.

Other XU engined Pugs (inc diesels) can also have a different sized sump to the 1.6 with deeper sides so you really need to source the same sump as the one you are replacing.

Graham.

oh right, i thought the longer stroke of the 1.9 was compensated by the stiffner plate and the actual sump was the same.

so could you use a 1.6 sump on a 1.9 engine without the spacer?

how does the french mind work? odd peoples :lol:

pug_ham
so could you use a 1.6 sump on a 1.9 engine without the spacer?

Yes, I did this for a while but also ran an alloy Mi sump without the stiffener plate before swapping to the stiffener & 1.9 sump.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this