• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
locosaki

2.0 8v Turbo

locosaki

I've just had an offer on my 205 Mi16 from the apprentice at my work and it's quite a good one !

Anyhow,I noticed the other week there is a 205 2 litre 8 valve turbo forsale quite close to me,I never had any dealing with the turbo lump and just wondered what peoples opinion were compared with the Mi 16.

will.m

I love mine mate! do it!

sounds of silence

like night and day from a mi16 on the track

Miles

Worst thing ever, I hated the few I;ve done even with over 200bhp, But I do like to see at least 8k from a engine

will.m

I know what you mean miles, i just love turbo's, the sudden power gain is the adrenaline rush i like, whereas yours is over 8k revs i guess :)

welshpug

if you like sudden power gains try a moody n/a race engine :)

Tom Fenton

I've driven a couple of mates of mine jointly owned 2.0 T track car. To be honest it is quite a well balanced setup and easy to drive quickly, lots and lots of torque to pull you out of the corners etc. If anything their car needs some suspension upgrades as even with 150-odd bhp the chassis is overwhelmed. The engine is not working that hard and will probably last forever. All in all not a bad track car IMO.

will.m
if you like sudden power gains try a moody n/a race engine :lol:

any examples?

Joe-Tait

I would go for the turbo, some nice examples pulling good power around my way

Anthony

You really need to drive / passenger in one before commiting in my opinion, as they're chalk and cheese compared to a 205 Mi16.

I personally am really not a fan of the 2.0 8v Turbo conversions. On paper it sounded great, with 150hp+ in a lightweight 205 with low lag and plenty of grunt on tap any gear, any revs. The reality, for me, was that it just felt very, very lazy and completely out of character with the character of a 205 GTi, and to be honest, didn't feel especially quick either (although I'm sure in reality it was). Probably the harshest thing I can say is that it bored me, and that's something that I don't think any other 205 GTi has managed :lol:

I've also driven Henry Yorke's CTi Turbo which is very closely related to the 2.0 Turbo (basically all the 2.0 Turbo bits on a lighter 1.9 engine) and whilst I still had the same grievances about the (lack of) character and power delivery of the engine, it did atleast suit the cruising naturer of the CTi. It was in it's element wafting along on A-road, tackling hills and overtakes at ease without needing to drop a gear.

Oddly, I love 1.9 Turbo Technics converted 205 GTi's - they manage to retain everything that makes a 1.9 GTi great fun, and retains the original cars character, but with boost thrown in for good measure and frantic acceleration.

Henry Yorke

It depends how you drive too. 2.0 Turbos are probably more reliable as a track car if the turbo is good, the conversion is sensible and no one has P1ssed about with a bleed valve. However if you are a fan of noise and high revs then go N/A. 2.0Ts can be deceptively quick as the PSA T25 turbo comes in low in the revs and pulls well but does not deliver a big dollop of power.

Have a look at this video from Llandow of my CTI versus a GTI6 powered track 205

. There is not much in it to be honest and I wouldn't class myself as a top class driver.

The TT conversion gives you the low torque of the 8v with a shove of power, but these are very old now and really need to be run on a proper ECU as opposed to the MF2 set up.