• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fliprio

Clearance For Bonnet On Carbs

fliprio

Hi all,

It’s my first post on the forum, I picked up my 205 GTi-6 last night and have just been giving it a bit more of a thorough look over this morning.

One problem it seems to have is that the bonnet has been raised slightly, the seller said that it could be made flush again, but upon closer inspection today, it hits the top of the air filters as its running twin 45 dellortos, so can’t be made flush. The inside of the bonnet frame has been cut out.

Doing a bit of a forum search, it seems that bonnet fitment is a bit of a problem, are there any fixes to make it flush again?

Also, the bonnet pins aren’t lockable, so the car isn’t secure sat on the drive, anyone got any ideas on good locking mechanisms?

Cheers

Dan

Baz

What inlet manifold does it have and is the engine tilted at all?

Bonnet clearance shouldn't really be a problem.

fliprio

Not sure if the engine is titled or not, it was converted by Shenpar in Derbyshire, I think when I spoke to them they said they just modify the downpipe.

Not sure what kind of manifold, will try and get some pictures and post them up (once I find out how to attach images???)

the filters are on the large side, they are K&Ns

fliprio

some pictures of the manifold and how much the filters protrude

Inletmanifold.jpg

Carbs.jpg

Carbs2.jpg

Baz

Your inlet manifold is a cheaper item and isn't ideal, Dan (taylorspug) has one of these on his Gti6 with bodies and had the manifold flange skimmed so it'd sit at a more suitable angle, might be worth checking out his project topic as I think there's some info in there, and considering yourself.

fliprio
Your inlet manifold is a cheaper item and isn't ideal, Dan (taylorspug) has one of these on his Gti6 with bodies and had the manifold flange skimmed so it'd sit at a more suitable angle, might be worth checking out his project topic as I think there's some info in there, and considering yourself.

Cheers Baz, his bodies do look much more straight now!

Are there alternative manifolds that I can purchace that will get rid of this problem, without having to faf about with modifying the existing one?

Cheers

Dan

Baz

Jenvey Longman ones are generally the ones to go for, not cheap but much better casted and i don't think anyone has any issues with them angle-wise. :)

fliprio
Jenvey Longman ones are generally the ones to go for, not cheap but much better casted and i don't think anyone has any issues with them angle-wise. :blush:

Cheers Baz, I will look them up and see how much they might cost :-(

On a seperate note, it looks like the bonnet may have been touching on the filters, the carbs seem a bit loose (e.g you can move them up and down a few mm), I had read somewhere that they are meant to be loose-ish to allow the av mounts to work, is there a guide as to how much movement you should have?

Baz

Yes carbs should move a little on their misab or similar plates between them and the inlet.

MrG

you should be able to move them a little bit but not excessively as this also prevents fuel frothing.

I have a skip brown manifold on mine and like Baz says, I have no clearence issues (although mine is an 8v)

fliprio
you should be able to move them a little bit but not excessively as this also prevents fuel frothing.

I have a skip brown manifold on mine and like Baz says, I have no clearence issues (although mine is an 8v)

sorry to bring up this old post again, does anyone know how much extra clearance the auto bonnet gives? would it clear the carbs?

Cheers

dan

Baz

The auto bonnet doesn't really giveany more clearance in the desired spot (at the front) over the standard item i'm afraid.

Magnum Motorsport do a fibreglass bonnet with a bulged front/leading edge that's handy for this purpose though.

fliprio
The auto bonnet doesn't really giveany more clearance in the desired spot (at the front) over the standard item i'm afraid.

Magnum Motorsport do a fibreglass bonnet with a bulged front/leading edge that's handy for this purpose though.

The magnum one looks like a good solution, the pics from Magnum look like it should clear the carbs, he only downside is that it doesnt have the hinges at the back, does anyone know of any that have integrated hinges?

blue_haddock

PVFCpugs on here has got just about enough room by chopping a section of the bracing out in the relevant spot.

fliprio
PVFCpugs on here has got just about enough room by chopping a section of the bracing out in the relevant spot.

unfortunatly the bracing is already chopped out, needs about another 15 to 20mm in height :)

Baz
The magnum one looks like a good solution, the pics from Magnum look like it should clear the carbs, he only downside is that it doesnt have the hinges at the back, does anyone know of any that have integrated hinges?

Pretty sure the magnum one i have outside has the ability to bolt on the standard hinges, but it's been so long i could be wrong! I'll take a look over the next few days when i get a chance!

PVFCpug

The auto bonnet does give you extra clearance as the strengthening struts are in different position. With mine I had the throttle cable on the top of the 45's and this caught on the strut. This was angle ground away to give the clearance I needed. Having the auto bonnet does away with this issue as the stregthening strut goes parallel with bonnet edge as opposed to diagonal.

Yours however looks to be alot higher than mine is. Would it help if you didnt have solid filters? Maybe socks instead!

Only reason I have cut some metal out of front slam was to allow the carb filters room at the front and not have them pushed up against the trumpets. Gives for better air flow.

fliprio
Pretty sure the magnum one i have outside has the ability to bolt on the standard hinges, but it's been so long i could be wrong! I'll take a look over the next few days when i get a chance!

The guy at Magum sent some pictures which didnt have the mounts for hinges, might be an option though so will send him an email back to see if they can do it.

fliprio
The auto bonnet does give you extra clearance as the strengthening struts are in different position. With mine I had the throttle cable on the top of the 45's and this caught on the strut. This was angle ground away to give the clearance I needed. Having the auto bonnet does away with this issue as the stregthening strut goes parallel with bonnet edge as opposed to diagonal.

Yours however looks to be alot higher than mine is. Would it help if you didnt have solid filters? Maybe socks instead!

Only reason I have cut some metal out of front slam was to allow the carb filters room at the front and not have them pushed up against the trumpets. Gives for better air flow.

it hits on the filters, they arent ideal as the airflow doesnt go directly into them, so a foam sock may be better, but im not sure weather its worth the cash to find out or just by a bonnet with a hump to clear them

PVFCpug

sure there's someone local to you that would let you try there socks to see how they fit. Alot cheaper than a bonnet. You would have to get it sprayed as well.

Pop along to the North Combined meet on Wednesday in the meetings section and you are more than welcome to have a look at how my engine bay looks and try my socks on!!!!!!!!

MrG

you must be able to get some alternative filters fitted if socks are not required (apparently not ideal according to others who use them?). Some creative hunting maybe required.

Baz
The guy at Magum sent some pictures which didnt have the mounts for hinges, might be an option though so will send him an email back to see if they can do it.

I was indeed wrong, checked it today and there's no mounts for hinges! :(

Must've been thinking of another bonnet then - or the fact that my matching tailgate mounts on std hinges.

Edited by Baz

fliprio
sure there's someone local to you that would let you try there socks to see how they fit. Alot cheaper than a bonnet. You would have to get it sprayed as well.

Pop along to the North Combined meet on Wednesday in the meetings section and you are more than welcome to have a look at how my engine bay looks and try my socks on!!!!!!!!

yes I should pop along to a meet and get a look at a few, I am in need of a new bonnet though as this one is bent and scratched and poorly fitted.