• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
NeilGTi85

Has Anyone Been Through A Vic Check?

NeilGTi85

My car was written off as a cat C at the end of last year. The insurance are supposed to request the log book back, but did not.

I have re-mot'd the car, as the previous one is invalid due to the CAT C. I am now applying for the VIC check which will be a couple of week's. I am going to try and tax it at the local post office (if I can), and then drive it untill the test date.

I have called my insurance and they said they will insure me.

BUT....searching on the net I found alot of post's about not being able to tax your car untill the VIC check is done, some people saying its illegal to drive it on the road without a VIC & people say that if the plod see me driving a CAT C car they will take it away.....?!

I have phoned VOSA and explained my situation, they have told me as long as I have valid insurance and MOT & tax (The guy said I would be able to get tax) I can drive it untill the test date.

There seem's to be alot of conficting infomation, can anyone confirm it will be legal?

Thanks,

Neil

hexhamstu

My girlfriend bought a car, and when she applied for the logbook they told her it would need a vic check because it had been damaged in the past. (No big deal since it was only £200 and had quite obviously had a new bumper and valence) she was able to get tax, but I think she had to go to the DVLA office? I'll ask her when she gets home.

I haven't taken it for the VIC check yet, but I guess they are just checking it has the right VIN numbers etc?

NeilGTi85

The check is just to confirm its not a ringer, they will check chassis No., engine code etc... Just an Identity check.

Would be good to find out how your girlfriend tax'd it, as when I phoned VOSA they said " post office or your local DVLA office".

Thanks,

Neil

welshpug

yup, all they do on a VIC is check the VIN and that it hasn't blatantly been cut and shut, no other checks regarding its road-worthiness whatsoever.

I'd go with what VOSA say personally.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Buyin...icle/DG_4022107

While a VIC marker remains set, DVLA won’t issue a registration certificate V5C, or vehicle licence reminder V11.

A car can be driven directly to and from a pre-arranged VIC without road tax.

Which would tie in with the fact that you shouldn't have the V5C, and technically shouldn't be able to tax the vehicle.

However I don't think they have anything in place as yet that prevents you from Taxing the vehicle if you do still have the V5C.

NeilGTi85

So why would they tell me over the phone that I will be able to attain tax for the car at a post office of DVLA office?

They say one thing and write another, I shall pop in my local post office and see if they will tax it but I will be taking a risk if I drive the car before the VIC?!

If I can attain tax, I shall call VOSA agian and record the phone conversation for proof if I do get pulled by the plod.

will.m

My car was a Cat C write off, the insurance company havent asked for the log book, i was unable to tax online but i could in the post office, and i havent been pulled since and that was 5 months ago.

Miles

A mate of mine has done a few of these, Just drive it there like a MOT without tax as WP said without a log book you cannot tax it anyway, Might be worth printing off that section just in case but as in black and white they cannot ague the case

NeilGTi85

I understand you dont need tax to drive to the VIC check, but I need tax to drive it before the VIC inspection which is 2 weeks away.

With people saying its legal and some saying not, I popped into the local plod office and asked, they gave me a No. which im about to ring.

The post office said there is no problem taxing the car....

NeilGTi85

Traffic police say, as long as its insured, tax'd and mot'd since the acciedent then it is legal and I will not get any problem's.

Happy days :D

Edited by NeilGTi85